[UPDATED][MOD] Google Maps [brut] 4.4.0 stockified PROPER

Guest squrl

Guest squrl

If your country has official Google nav support, this isn't for you.

Hey guys,

I've modified Brut.all's Maps to better suit my taste and with Brut.all's permission I'd like to share the *.apk with you.

What's changed:

• All icons with "BRUT" watermark reverted to stock
  • The [brut] suffix removed from the application name
  • Package name reverted back to com.google.android.apps.maps, so everything works correctly, including Car Panel and Chrometophone.
    • Zipaligned
    • Map caching enabled by default

DISCLAIMER

I am in no way responsible for damage done to your phone or to you, reindeers run over, alien abductions or global warming :( Everything you do, you're doing at your own responsibility. The one and only author of this great mod is Brut.all, so all cash and women are to be sent to him.

DOWNLOAD & INSTALLATION:

1) Always do a nandroid backup.

2) Download the zip file below, put it to your SD card root and flash via recovery or ROM Manager.

squrl_maps-brut16.zip, md5sum e958982666a36ed2a7df1924ae49e7c6

KNOWN ISSUES:

[*]Some users are reporting that they don't see Maps, Navigation, etc. in the app drawer after they install the update.zip.

If you are experiencing this issue, read post #46, it contains an explanation and a fix as well. It may be a bit drastic, but it's the price you have to pay if you want to use this mod.

Enjoy ;)

Special thanks to Brut.all for his work and friendly approach & to ivarson_swe for the help with package name reversion, and for the tip with enabling the map caching feature by default.

PS: If you like what I do and want to show some appreciation, you can register your Dropbox account through my referral link. You'll get 250MB for free, I'll get 250MB for free and we'll be both happy :)

Edited by squrl

Guest spammyspam

As far as I knew, Brut was just to enable navigation. For those who have that now, what's the point of this?

Edited by spammyspam

Guest squrl

Yeah, you're right. This is mainly for people living in countries with no official nav support. But even if you have nav, brut maps have maps caching so it can reduce data usage and I think this is a huge advantage over the stock app.

Yeah, you're right. This is mainly for people living in countries with no official nav support. But even if you have nav, brut maps have maps caching so it can reduce data usage and I think this is a huge advantage over the stock app.

the stock nav app does map caching too...

Guest squrl
the stock nav app does map caching too...

Didn't know that, thanks for the info!

EDIT: according to Brut.all himself, the stock GM caches only about ~1 MB of tiles for immediate use. Brut mod caches all, if enabled in the mod menu, so it really can greatly reduce data usage!

Edited by squrl

Guest DjipOner

Thanks for your MOD!

But is it the latest version of "Brut Google Maps" (4.3.0.4305-brut14)?

Thanks

(Sorry 4 my English)

EDIT: YES, its the latest! :-D

Edited by DjipOner

Guest squrl

Yes, but this is a built-in feature of Maps [brut], it's nothing that I have added. My "mod" only customizes looks, so the Maps [brut] appears the same as the stock Maps.

You can download maps for your whole country (or even for the whole world) using gMapMaker and use them with brut Maps :lol:

Guest bob blob
Yes, but this is a built-in feature of Maps [brut], it's nothing that I have added. My "mod" only customizes looks, so the Maps [brut] appears the same as the stock Maps.

You can download maps for your whole country (or even for the whole world) using gMapMaker and use them with brut Maps :lol:

awesome!! THANKS!

will check out gMapMaker today for sure!

out of curiousity, i just came across something called MapDroyd and am downloading some maps now.

how does these 2 compare to each other?

Guest mrshark

how to do this? download maps with this program, and then, where to put them in SD card to let brut maps find them? thanks :-)

Guest squrl

Yes but that'll result in having two apps with the same name, so it might be a little difficult to distinguish between them. It's not a problem, but as I said, I've done this mod primarily to replace the original Maps app.

If you don't want to mess with adb I recommend you to install the untouched Maps [brut] from XDA.

Guest maliki

too bad your app doesnt load when i try to open it using Navigator Panel or Car Home. I really hope it can load and truly replace the stock maps since navigation feature is not available in my country. However, I appreciate ur work, good job bro. thanx for the app.

Guest squrl
too bad your app doesnt load when i try to open it using Navigator Panel or Car Home. I really hope it can load and truly replace the stock maps since navigation feature is not available in my country. However, I appreciate ur work, good job bro. thanx for the app.

I saw modified Navigator Panel somewhere, which was able to launch Maps [brut], try to search on XDA. Or you can try Nav Launcher app from the Market, it has an option whether to launch stock Maps or brut Maps.

EDIT: check 1st post, I've added modified Navigator Panel.

Edited by squrl

Guest amf14

I tried this but when I type in the destination the screen just shows "getting driving directions" and stays there for a long time. I have GPS enabled and data connection is working fine.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gingercat

Can someone please upload somwhere else:

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by gingercat

Guest peetah

What if you were to replace the maps.apk on the /system/apps with the brut one, renaming it to maps.apk?

Not sure if there are any other changes between the stock maps.apk and brut's mod but wouldnt this make all apps treat the brut maps as original? Not familiar with the way android works so this point might be moot.

EDIT: doesn't look like that'll work. Tried installing brut then replacing original maps.apk with it.

Car Panel still does nothing when I hit navigation or view map. The standalone brut maps still work so guessing theres more instances where the name differs.

Edited by peetah

Guest squrl

It doesn't matter how you name the apk, name of the app is stated in XML files inside the apk (however I think in this case we need to correct the package name, not the app name). You need to decompile the apk file and edit the corresponding files. I'll have a look today and try to figure it out either by editing the Maps or (more likely) the Navi panel app.