To switch from WinMo to Android?

Guest MrTex

I am a current Verizon Omnia II owner and I am considering switching to Android phone (Droid Incredible, Droid X).

Looking for any input...PROS and CONS

I enjoy flashing ROMS and customization of WinMo...Is all that possible with Android OS?

Please help me decide

Guest amdzero
I am a current Verizon Omnia II owner and I am considering switching to Android phone (Droid Incredible, Droid X).

Looking for any input...PROS and CONS

I enjoy flashing ROMS and customization of WinMo...Is all that possible with Android OS?

Please help me decide

I'm not sure if too many people who visit this particular thread have both an Android and WinMo phone. Maybe you should also ask in a droid thread?

just my limited experience with the HTC Incredible:

Pros:

Fast. No I mean really f***ing fast. The snapdragon proc was like flash gordon!

All the HTC Sense goodness which works flawlessly (as I tested it)

Search funtions was incredibly (pun intended) fast. Google found stuff before I could type!

Scrolling was as smooth as butter on this capacitive touch screen.

Optical mouse/movement

AMOLED screen and I don't think it was limited in color depth, because images on it was gorgeous!

Droid DOES! (meaning I kept opening app after app after app etc... and it did not slow down NOR close any programs!)

Cons:

Being a capacitive touchscreen this means no stylus. Which is only a con if you like using the stylus. And sometimes I prefer one.

Slight learning curve for capacitive touch screens (really only if you are fat fingered or heavy handed)

Learning curve for Android OS (I'm a windows user, so there were somethings there were not intuitive for me. Namely the file exploration.)

No physical buttons (by this I mean a depressible button with feedback. Not the hard/soft buttons at the bottom. I want to FEEL my button presses.)

All in all if I had to leave my Omnia II I'd go HTC Incredible. There are a lot of nice droids comming out but I don't need a 4.3" screen. It won't fit in my pocket! I mean come on, get a ipad if you want a laptop replacement!

Right now I'm happy with my Omnia II, namely because it is a chameleon. If I don't like Sense, I can go SPB MS, or Titanium, or even iphone today! There are SO many options its unreal.

The one major drawback to WinMo is the backwards compatibility with older software. Why is this a drawback? Because some apps don't work right. Unlike the droid/iphone, apps that are out now (yeah thousands of them) are all usable right out of the gate. PalmPC->PocketPC->Windows Mobile->Windows Phone has left a lot of software in the dust, and still allows you to open/install them whether you use the app or not. I mean sometimes I want a nice looking app that does something simple. Not an older app that has been used for years and is soooo outdated it looks like garbage.

But I shouldn't complain too much as most older apps just work. A Prime example of this is Mocha VNC viewer. It has the PocketPC style ugly bottom menu, but it still allows me to look at my Desktop/Laptop/Server from anywhere in the world! Now that is pretty cool, despite the ancient aesthetics.

just my 2 cents, or was that 3?

(Also just to add, you can use custom ROMs for droid phones as well. Look up rooting your Android on google)

Edited by amdzero

Guest MrTex
I'm not sure if too many people who visit this particular thread have both an Android and WinMo phone. Maybe you should also ask in a droid thread?

just my limited experience with the HTC Incredible:

Pros:

Fast. No I mean really f***ing fast. The snapdragon proc was like flash gordon!

All the HTC Sense goodness which works flawlessly (as I tested it)

Search funtions was incredibly (pun intended) fast. Google found stuff before I could type!

Scrolling was as smooth as butter on this capacitive touch screen.

Optical mouse/movement

AMOLED screen and I don't think it was limited in color depth, because images on it was gorgeous!

Droid DOES! (meaning I kept opening app after app after app etc... and it did not slow down NOR close any programs!)

Cons:

Being a capacitive touchscreen this means no stylus. Which is only a con if you like using the stylus. And sometimes I prefer one.

Slight learning curve for capacitive touch screens (really only if you are fat fingered or heavy handed)

Learning curve for Android OS (I'm a windows user, so there were somethings there were not intuitive for me. Namely the file exploration.)

No physical buttons (by this I mean a depressible button with feedback. Not the hard/soft buttons at the bottom. I want to FEEL my button presses.)

All in all if I had to leave my Omnia II I'd go HTC Incredible. There are a lot of nice droids comming out but I don't need a 4.3" screen. It won't fit in my pocket! I mean come on, get a ipad if you want a laptop replacement!

Right now I'm happy with my Omnia II, namely because it is a chameleon. If I don't like Sense, I can go SPB MS, or Titanium, or even iphone today! There are SO many options its unreal.

The one major drawback to WinMo is the backwards compatibility with older software. Why is this a drawback? Because some apps don't work right. Unlike the droid/iphone, apps that are out now (yeah thousands of them) are all usable right out of the gate. PalmPC->PocketPC->Windows Mobile->Windows Phone has left a lot of software in the dust, and still allows you to open/install them whether you use the app or not. I mean sometimes I want a nice looking app that does something simple. Not an older app that has been used for years and is soooo outdated it looks like garbage.

But I shouldn't complain too much as most older apps just work. A Prime example of this is Mocha VNC viewer. It has the PocketPC style ugly bottom menu, but it still allows me to look at my Desktop/Laptop/Server from anywhere in the world! Now that is pretty cool, despite the ancient aesthetics.

just my 2 cents, or was that 3?

(Also just to add, you can use custom ROMs for droid phones as well. Look up rooting your Android on google)

Thanks for your input, you have given me alot to think about...Don't get me wrong, I luv my i920 (just looking for a change).

I like the hardware specs and HD capabilities of the latest Droid devices, but I have never used a Droid device.

Guest kdkinc

At the moment.....I'm seriously thinking of the DroidX Unlike AMDZero who eyes of a Eagle I DO need a larger screen, AT&T repulses me, so no iPad (MY Opinion).

I've added a link from a interview from a old friend to the Omnia cooking world who might have the insight you need.

http://www.modaco.com/content/verizon-sams...7/wheres-bga55/

Great article...hope it helps.

:lol: :D