The HTC Desire, Legend will be getting Android 2.2 in Q3 this year, along with the HTC Wildfire

Guest zabak

Guest zabak

Source : -->> Recombu , Tech Radar , Pocket-lint

The HTC Desire will be getting Android 2.2 in Q3 this year, along with the HTC Wildfire and HTC legend.

Hot on the heels of the news that the Nexus One will be getting an over-the-air firmware upgrade this week, mobiles blog Recombu spoke to HTC about the next generation of the mobile OS coming to its handsets.

"We are working hard with our partners to update the HTC Sense experience on Froyo and distribute it to our customers as fast as possible," said the spokesman.

"We expect to release updates for several of our 2010 models including Desire, Legend and Wildfire beginning in Q3."

Competitive Android

HTC's Android phones have become major players, with the Desire in particular proving to be a key competitor to the Apple iPhone.

With the iPhone 4 now arriving and Apple's iOS4 bringing new functionality to many of its phones, Android 2.2 and its extended functionality are increasingly necessary.

"[Android 2.2] provides some great new features including support for making your handset a portable hotspot and support for Adobe Flash within the browser," explains Google.

Edited by zabak

Guest CRNeo
Wow, excellent, just hope this won't be denied by HTC like they did with previous similar announcements.

Or that is takes over a year like the Hero 2.1 update!

Guest bodjor

Great! Happy to hear that. It would be even better to be able to see this announcement on HTC website.

Does anyone know why Legend Firmware Update 2.03.403 (of Eclair 2.1) is still not available OTA?

Guest zabak

News Update Source -->> Update (HTC Legend Froyo)

Update says "

HTC has spoken out to explain why the Android 2.2 updates for the HTC Desire, HTC Wildfire and HTC Legend haven’t been released yet.

HTC’s online community manager Eric Lin talked to Pocket-lint at the Qualcomm Uplink convention in San Diego, confirming our suspicions that testing and tweaking the HTC Sense software is what’s holding-up the anticipated HTC Desire, HTC Legend and HTC Wildfire updates —

“That’s not like a one week kind of project. We need to make sure that our applications are taking advantage of the Froyo features. To make sure that they’re all running properly on the OS now that it’s a new version. And then to make sure that it’s running on our hardware as well as we expect.”

However, Lin does indicate that we shouldn’t start fearing a huge delay, as happened to the HTC Hero’s Android 2.1 update, saying “I don’t think you’re going to see that really long six month, seven month lag, like you saw in the updates from 1.5 to 2.1, simply because it’s a less severe change.”

HTC will have had its hands on Android 2.2 for just a few weeks now, so it’ll be at least a couple of months before the updates start trickling out, but unless HTC really drops the ball, they will be available this year. Top features of Android 2.2 include the ability to turn your phone into a Wi-Fi hotspot and installing of apps to the SD card.

"

Guest zabak

New Update (Source) -->> Softsailor.com

Eric Lin is the PR and Online Community Manager at HTC so you’d think that he knows the company’s plans of pushing Android 2.2 Froyo to the users who bought an Android-powered phone from HTC. Well, Mr. Lin suggests that most HTC Android smartphones will be upgraded to Android 2.2 Froyo by the end of 2010.

HTC’s official PR person says that it’s not easy to make all apps compatible with higher version of the software, and it’s better to wait and make sure that everything is all right before releasing Android 2.2 to HTC users. Besides that, there is a lot of hardware distributed among many carriers worldwide so it’s a lot of work, although he admits that there will be less problems with the 2.1 to 2.2 upgrade than we’ve seen with upgrades from 1.5 to 2.x or 1.6 to 2.x.

Well, if you own a HTC EVO 4G, or a HTC Incredible, HTC Desire, HTC Legend, HTC Wildfire, then you might be able to download Android 2.2 Froyo sometime during the cold winter. Let’s be clear: HTC didn’t say that all smartphones will get Android 2.2 in the winter, the company simply said that most HTC Android phone owners will get the software update in 2010.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lampux

Xmas is too late in my opinion. I'm contacting every day HTC to ask for froyo update for september. Please everybody do the same. I'm asking for htc legend, but desire and wildfire are in the same situation.

Guest Berek
Xmas is too late in my opinion. I'm contacting every day HTC to ask for froyo update for september. Please everybody do the same. I'm asking for htc legend, but desire and wildfire are in the same situation.

do you *really* think it will make any difference at all if you do this?

Edited by Lancez

Guest lampux
do you *really* think it will make any difference at all if you do this?

Of course this will do a GREAT difference, check out other similar cases to this one and you will see that I'm totally right. Above all if everybody would do the same :(

Edited by Lancez

Guest Lancez

guys, calm down!

personal insults are not allowed on this forum and you will be banned because of that. let us focus on what we are here for and please settle this in a peacful manner. i will keep my eyes on this topic. thanks

Lance

Guest lampux
guys, calm down!

personal insults are not allowed on this forum and you will be banned because of that. let us focus on what we are here for and please settle this in a peacful manner. i will keep my eyes on this topic. thanks

Lance

thanks lancez...do you undertand berek? Next time you will be banned for your insults. Thanks lancez

Guest Lancez
thanks lancez...do you undertand berek? Next time you will be banned for your insults. Thanks lancez

i was referring to both of you.

Guest lampux

Thank to moderators for calming down berek. I had enough of these childish...now we can focus again on the target, have froyo on our legend :(

Guest Berek
Thank to moderators for calming down berek. I had enough of these childish...now we can focus again on the target, have froyo on our legend :(

It was *me* that asked the mods for the posts to be removed, Lampux, to get rid of your rubbish, nothing to do with the mods doing it to "calm me down". But as I feared you can't stop, can you, and still have to insult me yet again by calling me a child.

JUST STOP THESE STUPID POSTS - YOU WILL GET BANNED IF YOU KEEP IT UP.

I'm reporting you again for continued harassment.

DO NOT CONTINUE THIS.

Guest lampux
It was *me* that asked the mods for the posts to be removed, Lampux, to get rid of your rubbish, nothing to do with the mods doing it to "calm me down". But as I feared you can't stop, can you, and still have to insult me yet again by calling me a child.

JUST STOP THESE STUPID POSTS - YOU WILL GET BANNED IF YOU KEEP IT UP.

I'm reporting you again for continued harassment.

DO NOT CONTINUE THIS.

Are you serious? What did you smoke? I didnt' make any offence to you! It's strange you don't understand this seeing that you are english and I'm not! I'm sure I write quite correctly and I'm a real gentleman, unfortunately we can't say the same about you. Thanks again to moderators to calm you down but maybe it's necessary another report of your bad behaviour to them because you're not stopping yet, you seem to not understand your own language it's really annoying.

Anyway STAYING IN TOPIC, htc desire will receive FROYO tomorrow, wo I think htc legend is the next one, maybe we will have

For the record, I didn't call you child (instead you called me clearly idiot, THIS is a clear offence and you should be banned for this!!!) but I told I had enough of these childish, it's quite different and it's strange you can't notice the difference seeing that it's ENGLISH!

Edited by lampux

Guest BigBearMDC

Okay, It doesn't matter who of you guys started this, but if you don't stop it now immediately, you will suffer the consequences.

Its enough now. Stop blaming each other.

Regards,

BB

Guest Berek

Thank you, BB.

I've just read that Engadget are reporting today that all HTC handsets are shipping in China with 2.2, so looks like we can expect updates very soon.

Guest lampux

Thanks BB :( now that the stupid fight finally ended and everybody is calm thanks to you, we can focus again on 2.2 for legend. The battle continues...in the meantime htc desire today has not received froyo, so the rumor on HTC_NL and HTC Europe on twitter were crap...we will see for our beloved legend

Guest lampux

HTC Europe confirmed Froyo for tomorrow on desire. Is this a good news for us too, I hope! I'm answering on twitter to HTC asking for legend. Please do the same, they cannot ignore us if we are thousand of us. It's a shame, Legend went out on the market AFTER desire and we don't have froyo yet.