Got the 'stalling' problem? Rooted? Try this...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Lauregos

Thanks for this fix, really made it faster!

Used the patch by zenkinz, and it worked great! But my wallpaper was reset to the default one, and I can't change it (or, rather, I "can", but nothing happens, it just stays the same). I guess it's looking for it in the wrong place, but I have no idea where the wallpapers are stored, or where they should be stored.

Any ideas?

Guest gravityz3r0
copy patch.sh to /data/data, then do the chmod again, after that it should work...

johoe

that works, thanks a lot ! :)

Edited by gravityz3r0

Guest amacrobie

Awesomely fast, though as has been mentioned, has anyone tried the same trick except to link to a Class 6+ SD card ? If so, what are the results like compared to the NAND ?

Guest vaioboy
Awesomely fast, though as has been mentioned, has anyone tried the same trick except to link to a Class 6+ SD card ? If so, what are the results like compared to the NAND ?

it's not that easy... but hope there're some people 're working on it.

I get "Permission Denied" error at the final command /sdcard/patch.sh

i get

cp: can't stat '/dbdata/data': Too many levels of symbolic links

works now.

flashed new firmware again and used

adb shell

su

cp /sdcard/patch.sh /data/data

chmod 755 /data/data/patch.sh

/data/data/patch.sh

Edited by xig

Guest Tyxerakias
i get

cp: can't stat '/dbdata/data': Too many levels of symbolic links

This probably means that you have already done the method on the first post. You should reverse it before you try the patch.

Guest Archer13
It seems like the lag is solved in the latest firmware released today.

Could you please make a same listing as below? Does it changed? Thanks!

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl10 /dbdata rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/data: 1963904K total, 282272K used, 1681632K available (block size 16384)

/dbdata: 109760K total, 69056K used, 40704K available (block size 4096) <----- this is where Paul moved the /data/data to

Guest bigbadwolfie
Could you please make a same listing as below? Does it changed? Thanks!

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl10 /dbdata rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/data: 1963904K total, 282272K used, 1681632K available (block size 16384)

/dbdata: 109760K total, 69056K used, 40704K available (block size 4096) <----- this is where Paul moved the /data/data to

Latest firmware.....

/data: 1963904K total, 231648K used, 1732256K available (block size 16384)

/dbdata: 109760K total, 10112K used, 99648K available (block size 4096)

No change there.

Edited by bigbadwolfie

Guest khunjj

Just finished doing this. My SGS is no longer stalling.

BTW, If the phone has to reboot, do I need to re-apply it?

Thanks in advance for answer,

Guest ssarl
It seems like the lag is solved in the latest firmware released today.

No it is not. You have to apply Paul's hack in order to not have the lag.

Guest IBTECH
No it is not. You have to apply Paul's hack in order to not have the lag.

Not sure what you flashed, but it is not lagging here anymore.

Yea it is not as instant as with the hack but the speed now equals my Nexus one and no more black screens of lag.

Guest zenkinz
Just finished doing this. My SGS is no longer stalling.

BTW, If the phone has to reboot, do I need to re-apply it?

Thanks in advance for answer,

no need.

Guest Kilack

Yea it is not as instant as with the hack but the speed now equals my Nexus one and no more black screens of lag.

Cool, let us know if you continue to get little lag..looks hopeful....

Guest ssarl

I applied the version XWJG1 and the lag is still there. The /data/data is still in the slower memory so why you think that the lag is gone?

Guest us1111
I applied the version XWJG1 and the lag is still there. The /data/data is still in the slower memory so why you think that the lag is gone?

Well.. Has it been 100% sure that it is the "slower" memory that is the root of the problem? I did some low level tests, and the "slower" memory is as fast as my class6 sdcard, which should be enough. Maybe optimising access, drivers and/or caching eleminates the lag issue whilst keeping the original file structure intact..

Guest Paul

What does 'should be enough' mean? On what basis?

My tests have shown the NAND is, as you would expect, MUCH faster and hence you'd expect a huge performance boost (and probably a slight battery improvement too!)

P

Guest SeraphimSerapis
What does 'should be enough' mean? On what basis?

My tests have shown the NAND is, as you would expect, MUCH faster and hence you'd expect a huge performance boost (and probably a slight battery improvement too!)

P

We still have to figure out, how to deal with big apps when linking to dbdata - there must be an intelligent system to link only files under xx mb

Guest Paul

Yes, i'm working on that now.

The JG1 based r2 ROM release I am putting up this morning has the Lag Fix defined as a script in the ASE / MCR Scripts application (so you can do the lag fix 'on device'), for r3 I am hoping to get in a fix that deals better with large data files.

P

Guest oxylos
Well.. Has it been 100% sure that it is the "slower" memory that is the root of the problem? I did some low level tests, and the "slower" memory is as fast as my class6 sdcard, which should be enough. Maybe optimising access, drivers and/or caching eleminates the lag issue whilst keeping the original file structure intact..

You didn't test random writing only sequential and thats not comparable.

Guest Kilack

The JG1 based r2 ROM release I am putting up this morning has the Lag Fix defined as a script in the ASE / MCR Scripts application (so you can do the lag fix 'on device'), for r3 I am hoping to get in a fix that deals better with large data files.

P

Sounds great, will your new build based on the jg1 have the market fix too?

Guest Werner99

why you don't use the script from zenkinz http://android.modaco.com/content-page/312...this/page/120/# it does exacly solve the problem with large data files.

Werner

P