22/Jul r3 (JG5) - MoDaCo Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Aanuka
can you give me an example (application)

also now that ive flashed what is this busybox?

speed seems the same as stock havent really noticed anything different, is this how it is?

Download Better Terminal Emulator from Market. Open it up and Write su.

You will be prompted if you want to allow it to use SU or not.

If you choose yes, it will jump down one line and enter a #

Guest darksnarfer

Paul quick question.

When updating firmware to JFB, did you update PDA, PHONE and CSC or just PDA and PHONE? I mean in Odin.

Thanks!

Guest bambibio

Damn. I'm having some basic problems. I've already flashed to JFB yesterday and such. This is my first Android phone, so I'm a bit lost with the basics. I've baked my custom ROM, downloaded and placed it to the SD named update.zip. I've downloaded the adb-tool for windows.

Now the problem is, what do I actually have to do now? How do I boot my phone to the needed mode. I know it prolly shouldn't work after plugging the phone in and just doing the "adb reboot recovery" on cmd by having the phone itself turned on, right? This is the only thing I've tried so far, and the adb doesn't find the phone.

Could someone please help a bit, or point me to the right direction, say flashing ABC :D

Oh, and I don't have root now, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have it before shipping a custom ROM to my phone, or do I get the root AFTER I've custom ROM'd my phone :lol:

Guest frostbite
Paul quick question.

When updating firmware to JFB, did you update PDA, PHONE and CSC or just PDA and PHONE? I mean in Odin.

Thanks!

Batter to include all. Keep the sim inside while flashing after flash process finish language will be back to English from Russian.

Once flash process finish phone will reboot itself to normal mode. :lol:

Guest pecheurs7
Paul quick question.

Thanks!

Hi

Strange me I have:

code

modem

csc

which file goes where in odin.

thks for help

Guest Aanuka
Damn. I'm having some basic problems. I've already flashed to JFB yesterday and such. This is my first Android phone, so I'm a bit lost with the basics. I've baked my custom ROM, downloaded and placed it to the SD named update.zip. I've downloaded the adb-tool for windows.

Now the problem is, what do I actually have to do now? How do I boot my phone to the needed mode. I know it prolly shouldn't work after plugging the phone in and just doing the "adb reboot recovery" on cmd by having the phone itself turned on, right? This is the only thing I've tried so far, and the adb doesn't find the phone.

Could someone please help a bit, or point me to the right direction, say flashing ABC :D

Oh, and I don't have root now, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have it before shipping a custom ROM to my phone, or do I get the root AFTER I've custom ROM'd my phone :lol:

Launch cmd

Change directory too where you put all the adb-files.

Then if you are on Windows, use "adb-windows command"

For example, getting into recovery "adb-windows reboot recovery"

That's all you need to do when having your phone plugged in.

Guest Joakim Thornberg

I followed all the steps but when i choose applysdcard:update.zip i get an error saying E:Cant open /sdcard/update.zip and it aborts

Guest bambibio
Launch cmd

Change directory too where you put all the adb-files.

Then if you are on Windows, use "adb-windows command"

For example, getting into recovery "adb-windows reboot recovery"

That's all you need to do when having your phone plugged in.

I've done that.. all I get is "error: device not found".

Should my phone be shut down? should I use mass storage option or should it really just work w/ plugging the USB in and doing the command prompt thing?

Guest Xoneso
I've done that.. all I get is "error: device not found".

Should my phone be shut down? should I use mass storage option or should it really just work w/ plugging the USB in and doing the command prompt thing?

Remember to set USB Debugging under: Settings -> Applications -> Development.

Guest Rickstur
I followed all the steps but when i choose applysdcard:update.zip i get an error saying E:Cant open /sdcard/update.zip and it aborts

Exacly the same!

Also new user but when in recovery mode, i guess al previous steps are performed right? Somewhere we must be doing it wrong.

Guest bambibio
Remember to set USB Debugging under: Settings -> Applications -> Development.

Just found this out after a little googling. Now the problem is, my windows (7 x64) can't find the proper drivers nor did i find one with googling..

just says SAMSUNG_Android No driver found... damn.

Guest Xoneso
Just found this out after a little googling. Now the problem is, my windows (7 x64) can't find the proper drivers nor did i find one with googling..

just says SAMSUNG_Android No driver found... damn.

Taken from XDA: http://db.tt/ErGVyE (Short link to Dropbox)

Should be usb drivers for x64 bit windows that works, though can't comment on it since i'm using linux myself.

Guest bigbadwolfie
Exacly the same!

Also new user but when in recovery mode, i guess al previous steps are performed right? Somewhere we must be doing it wrong.

Put the update.zip on the internal SD not the external.

Guest Rickstur
Put the update.zip on the internal SD not the external.

Don't even have my external card in, so yes it is on my internal.

But thanks for the suggestion :lol:

I just need to rename the download from the site, right? Not first unzipping and then renaming?

Edited by Rickstur

Guest Xoneso

I just need to rename the download from the site, right? Not first unzipping and then renaming?

yeah just need to rename it.

but try and check the file size on the zip file on the internal sd as i had the same error first time since my update.zip file had a size of 0 bytes...

Guest bigbadwolfie

Just simply rename the original file to update.zip.

Guest bigbadwolfie
FK it. Thanks for trying, impossible to install x64 drivers.. couldn't even get the x86 drivers to work in XP vmware..

Have you installed the Kies application, this installs a vast amount of USB drivers to cater for the phone in all it's various states.

I'm running on W7x64 with no issues and using the Android SDK to access adb.

Guest Rickstur

Just to make sure:

When i connect the phone to the pc it gives me a letter (N:) right there i have to put the file right not in the hidden map called "sd" right?

Guest bigbadwolfie
Just to make sure:

When i connect the phone to the pc it gives me a letter (N:) right there i have to put the file right not in the hidden map called "sd" right?

Yes, copy it to N:\ not N:\sd

Guest Rickstur

:D :D :) :) :)

Must stupid mistake ever!!!!! renamed it update.zip wich ended up in update.zip.zip

So it never saw the file!

Got it working tho! :lol:

Guest mbsb0812

Hi Paul!

Already installed your custom ROM and everything is OK, but the Samsung Live Wallpapers (Aurora, Dandelion and Blue sea) have graphical glitches.

Do you have the same problem?

Thanks

Manuel Barbosa

Guest bigbadwolfie
:D :) :) :) :D

Must stupid mistake ever!!!!! renamed it update.zip wich ended up in update.zip.zip

So it never saw the file!

Got it working tho! :lol:

Yep, you got there in the end :D

Guest Robert Davidson

Hi Paul, Great work, thanks for being so quick creating a custom rom. When flashing the firmware is it ok not to install the CSC_I9000SERJF3.tar so as not to get the Russian language, also under the Privacy folder settings in other android phones the user can select to back up all settings to their google account, as this is missing on this phone is it possible that it can be added in one of your modifications. I am allways changing phones and this function saves a lot of hassle. Thanks again for the great work :lol: