Photo

30/Jun r1 (4399) - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Dell Streak (Android 1.6) with Online Kitchen

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

Dogmann55

Dogmann55

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Dobermann's, Mobile Data, F1
  • Devices:Streak 32GB Setve's Froyo
Hi all,

OK well that hasn't worked yet i have renamed it to Update.zip and the message i am getting is

Install from sdcard...
E:can't find MSC:
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
E: Can't open/sdcard/update.zip
(No such files or directory)
Installation aborted
E:Can't find MISC:

The only other thing i can think of is that i use Winrar for compressing files do i need to change this to Win.Zip?

Marc

Dell Streak 32GB Unlocked
Froyo V1.6.1 By DJ_Steve

The only problem with common sense is it's just not that common

Magxs

Magxs

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Devices:Dell Streak
I'm having problems with the custom ROM. It boots up to the locked home screen. But when I unlock it, I get the message that the process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. The home screen in blank and unresponsive. The menu works though. I have tried with two different custom ROMs.

Restoring the 3883 or 4399 stock build works and is fine, so I have a useable Streak. Just can't use the custom ROM. Any ideas?

Many thanks
magxs

Edited by Magxs, 30 June 2010 - 11:31 PM.

Devices: Dell Streak, HTC Advantage X7510

Magxs

Magxs

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Hi all,

OK well that hasn't worked yet i have renamed it to Update.zip and the message i am getting is

Install from sdcard...
E:can't find MSC:
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
E: Can't open/sdcard/update.zip
(No such files or directory)
Installation aborted
E:Can't find MISC:

The only other thing i can think of is that i use Winrar for compressing files do i need to change this to Win.Zip?

Marc

Why do you compress files? I just use zip files as I download them.

The way I understand it is that you can either rename it to update.zip and then launch it from the recovery image with one click or you go to the menu item saying something like "Install zip" or similar and then "select file from sd card". Don't have the exact wording now, but something to that extend. That let's you choose any zip file, no matter the name.

Dogmann55

Dogmann55

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Hi Magxs

Sorry i most probably worded that badly i don't compress files what i meant is that when i download files the program that i use is WinRar, so that's how all my downloaded files are stored anyway i changed it to zip format and am still getting the same message. I have no idea why when everything else works and the SD card is definitely being seen by the Streak it just won't update yet. I'm really at a loss as what to try next.

UPDATED INFO:

OK i fixed it and it's installing now as i was staring at the screen trying to work out was going wrong i realised that it was searching E: whilst my SD card is actually D: so thanks to Magxs extra instructions i choose to search and install it from the SD card instead and thankfully that has now worked. Although I'm also in shock as just hadn't realised or appreciated that my set up would all still be there as it was before applying the new Rom so no repeat installs or setting anything up needed just my nice new Rom minus the things i didn't want and Wavesecure added simply brilliant.

Marc

Edited by Dogmann55, 30 June 2010 - 11:10 PM.

Froyo V1.6.1 By DJ_Steve

Magxs

Magxs

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
But why do you change it to the zip format? Aren't the files already in zip format? At least the custom ROMs from the kitchen or the stock ROMs are you can download from here. So you shouldn't need to convert them to zip or do anything with them other than copy them to the sd card.

Perhaps I am missing something here. I can't get the custom ROMs to work for me, but I got it installed. And the process works for me with the stock ROMs. I am new to Android, so I am not really sure what I am doing. Hopefully one the experts has a comment.

Dogmann55

Dogmann55

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Hi Magxs

You missed my update to my post which i was obviously typing whilst you were posting, WinRar is just a program like 7-Zip but it means the files i download that are zipped or Rar'd appear as WinRar is all i was maybe clutching at straws whilst searching for answers but anyway your additional instructions of installing from the SD card worked and solved my problem as you can see above which is why it wasn't installing from E: but once again thanks for your input and help it is appreciated.

Marc

Edited by Dogmann55, 30 June 2010 - 11:16 PM.

Froyo V1.6.1 By DJ_Steve

Magxs

Magxs

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Ok, I get it now. I wouldn't think that matters. Unfortunately, I am at a loss what your issue might be. Hope you get working again.

Dogmann55

Dogmann55

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
@Magxs

Well it's all good for me now as once i followed your advice and looked on the SD card and installed from there it all went fine i wish i could return the favour and could help you work out why neither of your custom Roms have worked.

Marc

Froyo V1.6.1 By DJ_Steve

vinokirk

vinokirk

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Devices:DHD, DZ, SF
If I were to install the ROM does it still have the Dell 'overlay' of is it a 'vanilla' android?
Does it wipe all setting and installed apps etc (i.ehard reset)?
What advantaged does this ROM have over my stock ROM?
Have you effectlively 'trimmed off the fat' i.e., taken out all the unnecessary programs?
So the steps to get a MCR on my Streak are: 1: Install Root...2: Install Koush...3: Install ROM?

Sorry for my n00biness, this is my first Android device.

Edited by vinokirk, 01 July 2010 - 07:35 AM.

courtlandre

courtlandre

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Devices:HTC Evo, Samsung Focus

If I were to install the ROM does it still have the Dell 'overlay' of is it a 'vanilla' android?
Does it wipe all setting and installed apps etc (i.ehard reset)?
What advantaged does this ROM have over my stock ROM?
Have you effectlively 'trimmed off the fat' i.e., taken out all the unnecessary programs?
So the steps to get a MCR on my Streak are: 1: Install Root...2: Install Koush...3: Install ROM?

Sorry for my n00biness, this is my first Android device.

Read the first post. Yes it has the dell overlay.

vinokirk

vinokirk

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Devices:DHD, DZ, SF

Read the first post. Yes it has the dell overlay.

I have read all posts, like I said im a n00b at the Android game. All I'm looking for is confirmation for all of the facts listed above, just so I can be sure :lol:

courtlandre

courtlandre

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Devices:HTC Evo, Samsung Focus

I have read all posts, like I said im a n00b at the Android game. All I'm looking for is confirmation for all of the facts listed above, just so I can be sure :lol:

The post has all the information you are asking. If you need confirmation, just read the post again. If you have doubts about it though, DONT DO IT. There isnt any difference as far as people can tell (except standard, it "feels" faster). Its not worth messing up your phone yet especially when you dont know what you are doing.

giryan

giryan

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire

SWEEEEET!
When can we expect Froyo?
How come premium registration is not cheaper for Android users seeing as all those freebies are for WinMo users?

I'm guessing you've not seen the Android benefits area.
http://android.modac...-stuff-android/

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,222 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
Cos there's more Android stuff coming... Plus, there's no WM kitchens so that's a benefit in itself. :lol:

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

Davyb

Davyb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Paul,

Great Rom.

I have been playing about with it and cooked in some new icons etc that i liked from other roms :lol:

Attached File  screen.jpg   119.61KB   69 downloads

Still a work in progress but we will get there :D

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,222 posts
Added Market Speedup script option to the kitchen (ASE).

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Posted Image

mwizen

mwizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Just to say thanks to all involved in the effort.

I am a newbie, coming from WM and iphone. My first Android phone.. Was actually scared I could "break" something, and be stuck for 23 months with a brick!

But the process was actually absolutely "painless", thanks to the amount of information and well written instructions.

Already got myself a membership, worth every penny of it! :lol:

MrPokeylope

MrPokeylope

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
More than happy to pay for membership paul! :D

Keep the updates comin. :lol:

Thanks!

And a wee edit from my updated streak. It seems to like its update. Much more responsive.

Edited by MrPokeylope, 02 July 2010 - 12:50 AM.

unfitguy

unfitguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Devices:null
just joined ad free @9.99 keep up the good work for android. thanks

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,222 posts
Prebakes online!

P

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users