AutoKiller on SGS?

Guest Arii

Guest oxylos
What I've heard (I'm new to Android) you shouldn't even use task killers..

Yes task killer mess up your memory at least but it speed up your whole system. it is fact althought the android sdk and the os says something else.

just try it for a whole day. There is no stalling problem anymore.

it is still faster to run a task which is not in memory than a full memory of tasks and get stalling. (sorry for english, i hope you got it :lol: )

To get memory back you need restart the device every few days.

Edited by oxylos

Guest limeblue
Anyone have try AutoKiller on SGS and if it works any good? :lol:

I just tried it yesterday and the system does feel more responsive because of the extra memory. Before I use this, I tried to set the parameter manually to see the effect, since it kinda improves the responsiveness of the system, I use AutoKiller to make the change applied everytime I reboot the phone.

AutoKiller (and other apps that changes minfree setting) work differently from typical task killer (ATK, etc). It doesn't kill the application, but instead modify a kernel setting which controls when Android will free up memory for the application, so if you use sensible setting it should be fine. I currently use Aggressive setting and it works well. Have not tried other less aggressive setting, perhaps one of these days I'll try and see whether it's better for the system. I get a feeling that when it's set to too aggressive it will not perform very well either, but I think SGS default setting is too low.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TMW597

On my Samsung Galaxy S I've been using AutoKiller (Aggressive setting) along with Autorun Killer to kill a few apps at start up, and OverClock Widget to under clock the processor down to 400mhz while in sleep mode. I've been able to squeeze another 4-6 hours out of the battery.

Edited by TMW597

Guest bigbuffalo2009

I've been using it for a couple of weeks on Extreme setting (150, 160, 170) and it works great on my SG. Phone is a lot more responsive.

Guest jacklinjones

Use of task killers may cause any critical problems for your system as well as your memory. So it is not advisable to use. Well AutoKiller don't kill the applications but with proper settings you can use it. It just kills some start up tasks that makes the phone slower and you should use this for just for killing the start up tasks not for others ,otherwise you will be in trouble.

Guest nop56773

I used the lag fixes before but this AutoKiller seems to have better results. I've been using in "optimum" option for a few days. A few hours ago I switched to "strict" which is a little more agressive.

Overall, I think this works quite well.

Guest aeo087
I use it on aggresive.

Phone runs beautifully

Really? I find that when I put it on aggressive it kills TW and LauncherPro sometimes... I do agree that Task-killers mess up memory, the garbage collector does not work as it should when you kill tasks, so you never recover as much memory as you should. Autokiller, in the other hand, allows the system to kill tasks correctly. I'll give aggressive another try.

Guest DistortedLoop

Do AutoKiller and MinFreeMgr do essentially the same thing? If not, arguments pros or cons for both if they're not doing the same thing?

My understanding was that MinFree just told Android itself to be a bit more aggressive with its own routines on handling memory. Seems like that wouldn't mess things up, since Android's still doing he house cleaning.

Guest iLiquid
Do AutoKiller and MinFreeMgr do essentially the same thing? If not, arguments pros or cons for both if they're not doing the same thing?

My understanding was that MinFree just told Android itself to be a bit more aggressive with its own routines on handling memory. Seems like that wouldn't mess things up, since Android's still doing he house cleaning.

Yes, the 2 apps do the same thing.

In aggressive setting the device is very quick. I'm using it for about one week and without any problems.

If the values applied are not too high then you'll have no problem.

I highly advice anyone to install autokiller or minfree on his/her device.

Guest Stockholm

Not an auto killer but very handy, check out the free "fast reboot".

It don't really reboot, just killing all running apps.

Edited by Stockholm

Guest Brantyr

I'm using it, it's great makes a huge difference. I think it's badly named though, autokiller makes it sound like all of those crappy task killers, should be auto-tweaker or something.

Task killers are bad, autokiller is good - see http://www.androidcentral.com/fine-tuning-...s-multi-tasking for an explanation of what's going on here and why it's different to task killers. TLDR for the article - all autokiller and minfreemanager do is change 6 values in a text file at startup which makes androids own task management system run more appropriately for there Galaxy S, current Samsung firmware uses really bad defaults.

Guest DistortedLoop
I'm using it, it's great makes a huge difference. I think it's badly named though, autokiller makes it sound like all of those crappy task killers, should be auto-tweaker or something.

Task killers are bad, autokiller is good - see http://www.androidcentral.com/fine-tuning-...s-multi-tasking for an explanation of what's going on here and why it's different to task killers. TLDR for the article - all autokiller and minfreemanager do is change 6 values in a text file at startup which makes androids own task management system run more appropriately for there Galaxy S, current Samsung firmware uses really bad defaults.

Right, that's the article I'd read a week or two ago and I've been running MinFreeMgr based on their recommendation. Minimal settings, though. I think I'll try aggressive.

Autostarts is another good one for these Android phones - you can tell Android not to load certain apps on startup that you never use that still somehow seem to get started at boot time on their own. Made a difference on my Nexus One.

Guest wildlime

Thi sis the perfect fix for the lag issue. I have mine set to extreme and it's running like a dream. Better battery tooooo :(

Guest jkgtan

Just got my I9000, installed the sense clock and Fast Reboot.

After clicked Fast Reboot and it killed the clock too, ie. the time stuck there "20:29.

Tried Auto Killer & MinFree Fix but both need the phone to be "root"

Had been flashing my I8000 like nobody business but this Andriod is totally another kind of animal.

After reading some posting I still dare not do the so call "root" or ROM update.

My equipment stand at:

PDA: I9000DXJF4

PHONE: I9000DXJF4

CSC: I9000OLBJF4

Still pondering.......... ??????

Edited by jkgtan

Guest DistortedLoop
Just got my I9000, installed the sense clock and Fast Reboot.

After clicked Fast Reboot and it killed the clock too, ie. the time stuck there "20:29.

Tried Auto Killer & MinFree Fix but both need the phone to be "root"

Had been flashing my I8000 like nobody business but this Andriod is totally another kind of animal.

After reading some posting I still dare not do the so call "root" or ROM update.

My equipment stand at:

PDA: I9000DXJF4

PHONE: I9000DXJF4

CSC: I9000OLBJF4

Still pondering.......... ??????

Any fear of running the simple to use, and (so-far) issue-free Root update.zip on the i9000 is unfounded. Run root, now, make your phone so much better.

Instructions and needed file here on xda.

Guest jkgtan
Any fear of running the simple to use, and (so-far) issue-free Root update.zip on the i9000 is unfounded. Run root, now, make your phone so much better.

Instructions and needed file here on xda.

Bite the bullet and root it.

Done.

WIll be an uphill task to follow the various step to flash to the last version ROM.

Wish me luck.

Thank you DistortedLoop for your encouragement.

Guest DistortedLoop
Bite the bullet and root it.

Done.

WIll be an uphill task to follow the various step to flash to the last version ROM.

Wish me luck.

Thank you DistortedLoop for your encouragement.

:(

I hope I didn't come across as kurt with that encouragement. Root on this device is ridiculously simple and I was just trying to make it short and sweet sounding! Flashing ROMs is pretty fool-proof as well. Samsung's really made it easy to love this phone in that regard.

Better threads to discuss this stuff, though, we're a bit off topic with root and rom discussions in an autokiller thread.

Good luck - we'll all give what advice we can if you run into problems