Q&A Chat with the Dell Streak UI Developers Immiment!

Guest Dunhamzzz

Guest Dunhamzzz
Just tried to log into the chat to check, having problems with that, anyone else wanna give it a go see if its just me?

Wow thanks for pointing this out, issue fixed,

Guest vonalim
I'd like to see users of the Streak have the option of either stock Android as soon as updates are available (or as soon as is reasonably possible) or a delayed version of Android with all the Dell customizations rather than being forced to take the latter.

+1

Guest mbmapit
45 Mins to go! Already got 30 people in the room having a discussion!

Can you please put the chat up on here when it's finished?

Guest Dunhamzzz

Thanks all for coming and joining in, apologies if your question couldn't be answered! There were very strict rules on what can be answered, we didnt want anyone to get fired!

Guest mobiholic
Nice one for that Dunhamzzz, though he certainly seemed to skirt around some answers, especially the 2.2 question.

I'll be interested to see what they have in store.

indeed, but all the same it is good to have the opportunity to speak to the Devs directly. Perhaps we as a community and Dell can take what we've learned from this chat and use it to improve the next one (crosses fingers).

It also looked like he had a canned response for any questions on the UI and screen size:

"D: <cz9qvh> Were there any challenges you didn't expect while designing an android UI for such a widescreen?

N: When dealing with a device of this size, the real challenge was in the landscape view. Most phone UI2019s are optimized a portrait centric view, and when you have to reflow standard content controls, it can get a little awkward looking. A case example is in the music app. Most music apps deal with music as a standard list, list of songs, list of albums, etc. We had the opportunity to implement a grid in this case.

N: This is only one example, but larger devices are challenging.

N: And i expect this to continue as Android pushing into the tablet space.

D: <aceofspade> how will the UI of the DellMini 7 and 10 differ from the 5?

N: If we were developing such a product, I would say that there are similarities between small screens (3"-4") and medium screens (5"-7"). One of the primary differences is the screen density (resolution). If Streak were larger, I would imagine the UI would be very consistent. But this is merely speculative.

N: When dealing with a device of this size, the real challenge was in the landscape view. Most phone UI2019s are optimized a portrait centric view, and when you have to reflow standard content controls, it can get a little awkward looking. A case example is in the music app. Most music apps deal with music as a standard list, list of songs, list of albums, etc. We had the opportunity to implement a grid in this case."

Excerpt of transcript from www.MyDellMini.com

Unless this was an error added during editing or something, it seems like discussing increasing screen size was something Dell had anticipated and prepared a response for.

Man in black suit holding a badge bearing the Dell logo says to Neil

"if they ask about the screen size then use this response and nothing else... or we will erase you!"

Then again I may be simply be looking for conspiracy where there is none :)