[ROM] Sera's Jit Galaxy V1 - MCR2 based

Guest SeraphimSerapis

Guest SeraphimSerapis

I just created a version of the MCR R2 Custom Rom with the Samdroid "Frozen Eclair" JIT files.

Basically all the credit for the ROM goes to Paul O' Brien.

Buy this man a beer or two!

The Rom contains:

• MCR Custom Rom R2
  • Fancy Widget
  • Titanium Backup
  • ASE with MoDaCo Scripts
  • build.prop from JF5 (MCR R1) to see paid apps
  • Removed most of the Samsung Apps (except Memo, Swype, Live Wallpapers)
  • JIT files from Samdroid

To flash you need to be sure, that you're on JG1.

If you're not yet on JG1 - flash it with Odin.

You can get the JG1 files here: http://samsung-firmware.webs.com/

Afterwards you can flash my archive with the recovery.

Just push it to /sdcard/ and rename it to update.zip

There is no guarantee - applying this to your phone is your own risk.

I could flash this over MCR R2.

It runs very stable on my phone - I could reach 12.700 MFLOPs on my Galaxy S.

Sadly Quadrant crashes when benchmarking the CPU.

There are different reports about stability - some have some closing apps, some have no problems, some have lots of FCs..

Download:

Sera's JIT-Galaxy V1

Hopefully everything runs fine on your devices :)

Regards,

Tim

post-604180-1279027086_thumb.jpg

Edited by SeraphimSerapis

Guest RinTinTigger
I just created a version of the MCR R2 Custom Rom with the Samdroid "Frozen Eclair" JIT files.

Basically all the credit for the ROM goes to Paul O' Brien.

Buy this man a beer or two!

The Rom contains:

• MCR Custom Rom R2
  • Fancy Widget
  • Titanium Backup
  • ASE with MoDaCo Scripts
  • build.prop from JF5 (MCR R1) to see paid apps
  • Removed most of the Samsung Apps (except Memo, Swype, Live Wallpapers)
  • JIT files from Samdroid

To flash you need to be sure, that you're on JG1.

If you're not yet on JG1 - flash it with Odin.

You can get the JG1 files here: http://samsung-firmware.webs.com/

Afterwards you can flash my archive with the recovery.

Just push it to /sdcard/ and rename it to update.zip

There is no guarantee - applying this to your phone is your own risk.

I could flash this over MCR R2.

It runs very stable on my phone - I could reach 12.700 MFLOPs on my Galaxy S.

Sadly Quadrant crashes when benchmarking the CPU.

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/j54hmninnmy/MCRR2JIT.zip

Hopefully everything runs fine on your devices :)

Regards,

Tim

Good work Tim!

Good to see you guys taking care of all the phones!

Guest Andrew Luecke

Good to see some work going into JIT support.. For those who are interested, It looks like a speedup of roughly 50% over R2 (on R2, I get 8.165MFLOPS) which is good for Eclair (Froyo is expected to give a 450% speedup for linpack though).

I REALLY want to install this, but since I use my mobile as an alarm, unfortunately, can't risk my phone crashing :D

Good to see that hacking for the i9000 has progressed so quickly. :)

Guest DistortedLoop

Decided to take the plunge and just flashed this. Boots up no problems, at least. :)

I'll report back later after letting it run and do its thing on my phone for the day.

This is the first custom ROM I've put on my SGS - I hadn't gotten around to putting Paul's ROM on yet.

Guest DistortedLoop

First issue noted: The Samsung widget that gives weather, stocks and headlines won't load after flashing this ROM.

Is this removed from the ROM? I actually don't see it as an option to add after deleting the non-loading one.

Not a deal killer for me, but an FYI for those who must have that particular widget.

Edited by DistortedLoop

Guest gravityz3r0
First issue noted: The Samsung widget that gives weather, stocks and headlines won't load after flashing this ROM.

Is this removed from the ROM? I actually don't see it as an option to add after deleting the non-loading one.

Not a deal killer for me, but an FYI for those who must have that particular widget.

Keep us updated regarding the performance wise and stability after you have used it for a while. :) Thanks!

Guest SeraphimSerapis
Decided to take the plunge and just flashed this. Boots up no problems, at least. :)

I'll report back later after letting it run and do its thing on my phone for the day.

This is the first custom ROM I've put on my SGS - I hadn't gotten around to putting Paul's ROM on yet.

As I already wrote in the Info - most of the Samsung Apps were removed - I'm a huge fan of ADW Launcher

Guest DistortedLoop
As I already wrote in the Info - most of the Samsung Apps were removed - I'm a huge fan of ADW Launcher

Yes, I'm very sorry for forgetting that. It was just an initial reaction, first thing I noticed booting the phone.

I haven't tried ADW, I just downloaded Launcher Pro to try instead of TouchWiz, because it seemed to have better reviews than ADW , but I hadn't gotten around to actually using it yet.

Guest DistortedLoop

Hi Tim-

First, I'll admit that while I've read most of the posts in the MCR thread and the lagging/lagging-fix threads, I may have missed MCR issues in general that would impact your version, so forgive me if I say something that's caused by MCR.

I also haven't ran any of the MCR scripts (Market works fine for me, albeit slow - and I'm not sure if I want to use Paul's method, or the newer method being discussed that uses the external sdcard).

Halfway through the day and some observations.

Most apps load really, really fast. BeyondPod is almost instantaneous opening, Maps loads fast, Gmail as well. Pretty much everything. Pretty impressive in that regard.

Dolphin HD browser works fine.

Several apps, including Maps and the Gallery, crash multiple times on opening before I can actuallly open them. They seem to settle down eventually. The phone works fine. So does Youtube.

The only major problem so far seems to be with the Camera. It just won't stay open. As soon as it opens, a "Warning - Camera failed" popup appears. Hitting okay immediately closes the camera app. I can see the camer in the background, and the GPS icon flashing in it while the warning is open. This occurs almost 100% of the time, whether I launch from TW, ADW, or Launcher Pro desktop, or apps drawer. It did settle down and I could actually take pictures after numerous tries this morning, until I rebooted the phone. Now I've tried at least 20 times and it crashes on opening as described above. This is bad enough to consider stopping testing for me, so if any suggestions or I am stupid and missed a known issue, let me know. ;-)

Related to the camera issue is the Barcode scanner app (xiang) - it crashes on opening with a warning about the camera encountering an error and advises restarting the device. Sounds like maybe the camera driver isn't up to JIT...?

The Gallery also acts a bit weird at first. Opens, crashes to black and reopens itself a few times when first used and while scanning for media. It seems to work fine after a few tries, but then behaves the same after the reboot - (might be something todo with cacheing?).

A few other apps won't open fully, or crash shortly after opening that don't seem to settle down after repeated tries are:

1Password (beta) - opens briefly, then goes black and dumps to the launcher. Open again and can enter password to app, then crashes.

Touiteur - Crashes first time I open it, but then will open and load up cached tweets. Will update new tweets, but consistently crashes when scrolling through more than a dozen or so tweets.

Everything else seems to work fine that I've tested so far - GPS, Beautiful Widgets, etc. And like I said earlier, things seem FAST once they settle down.

Anything you want me to try?

Guest DistortedLoop

More apps to report.

Calendar crashes while refreshing/syncing when first opened. Open again, and it is stable.

Google Voice app is not working. It will open, but closes itself, no FC, just closes on its own within 30 seconds of opening. It will not let me refresh SMS messages. Even worse, it's not syncing automatically and reporting new messages as they come in like it was on the stock kernel.

The Google Voice and Camera issues are serious enough for me that I'm going to flash Paul's MCR2 later to see if it has the same issues.

Guest SeraphimSerapis
More apps to report.

Calendar crashes while refreshing/syncing when first opened. Open again, and it is stable.

Google Voice app is not working. It will open, but closes itself, no FC, just closes on its own within 30 seconds of opening. It will not let me refresh SMS messages. Even worse, it's not syncing automatically and reporting new messages as they come in like it was on the stock kernel.

The Google Voice and Camera issues are serious enough for me that I'm going to flash Paul's MCR2 later to see if it has the same issues.

I've got the same issue with apps closing now and then - but the camera really works fine here - from which version did u come? Did u flash JG1 with Odin before?

Seems a bit too much errors for me.

Some apps don't live in harmony with the JIT-hack, but on my Galaxy S it's not that unstable.

Tim

Guest DistortedLoop
I've got the same issue with apps closing now and then - but the camera really works fine here - from which version did u come? Did u flash JG1 with Odin before?

Seems a bit too much errors for me.

Some apps don't live in harmony with the JIT-hack, but on my Galaxy S it's not that unstable.

Tim

Yes, I was on JG1 stock (except root) flashed from ODIN before trying this ROM.

The phone is stable overall, and the apps that work are fast, just issues with these particular apps.

I was just now able to get the camera to work by going into Settings/Location and turning off the GPS and Use Wirless Networks settings. Then I could start the camera. I then turned back on GPS and the camera still started. That's a bit of a workaround for those interested anyways. Once the camera was running, trying to set any menu items within the camera usually crashed the camera (no force close, just an exit back to the desktop)....but like the other issues I've seen with apps that do that, once you've done it a few times, it gets more stable.

I still can't get Google Voice to work, though.

I hope my feedback helps. I'm not complaining or being negative in anyway. I think it's great someone's developing alternate ROMs and kernels for us now!

Thanks.

Guest DistortedLoop

I wonder if part of the reason apps seem to calm down after a few load attempts has anything to do with then getting cached? Maybe before they're cached JIT's just too fast for them...?

Guest MrSomeone

Forgive my ignorance on the issue, but is it possible to release a update just for the JIT files that can be applied to any firmware/rom?

Guest MrSomeone

Thank you for posting that link. Unfortunately, I'm not savvy enough to extract the files and update them to the SGS.

edit: feel free to call me an idiot, but are those files like a custom rom made specifically for their device? Or is the "Frozen eclair" a device-independent update?

Edited by MrSomeone

Guest scheichuwe

That are the files used in Sera's Jit Galaxy.

Even though they are designed to work on the Galaxy Spica, they also work fine on the Milestone (and others).

Guest MrSomeone
That are the files used in Sera's Jit Galaxy.

Even though they are designed to work on the Galaxy Spica, they also work fine on the Milestone (and others).

So the files don't need to be modified to install on the galaxy s? Just download the frozen eclair zip and install it?

The frozen eclair can't brick the phone, can it? It's just updating some android files. If it goes bad, just re-flash the phone.