New OC-enabled Kernel for MCRr5

Guest Kalle Falter

Guest Kalle Falter

[uPDATE] See post #43 for the new version[/uPDATE]

Hi there,

after a big fight with my inner temptation I made a Kernel myself and put all the fun stuff in it people drooled over. To bad I'm too lazy to make an update.zip out of it, but if anyone likes to do that, be welcome and post it here.

I took the kernel source from here, so my thanks go to behnaam and toastcfh.

With this tutorial I married the kernel to the MCR ramdisk, so thanks to cteneyck.

And of course big thanks to Paul for his great ROM!

To install just push the 2 files extracted to your SD-card root and do the following (ignore the error after the cat command). If you have problems with wakeup/screen try the no_19MHz version (see post #8):

adb shell
cat /dev/zero > /dev/mtd/mtd2
flash_image boot /sdcard/newBoot.img
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cp /sdcard/wlan.ko /system/lib/modules/wlan.ko
reboot[/codebox]

Your Hero should reboot fine with the new Kernel, but don't forget to nandroid, just in case.

The build-in modules are not tested, I just put them in there because people seemed to like having them. Have fun trying it out!

Features:

- CPU scaling from 19MHz/123MHz to 710MHz => don't use setcpu (uninstall before flashing); you can use overclock widget, but just to monitor => scaling is all done by the scheduler which gives the best performance for me

- works with MCRr5 A2SD+ as it includes MCRs ramdisk

- IP: tunneling, IPsec tunnel mode

- Block devices: loopback device, cryptoloop, network block device

- tun/tap device driver

- ext2/3/4, reiserfs, ntfs w/ write support, nfs client, cifs

- i bet I forgot at least something... :angry:

I'm not responsible if anything bad happens, proceed at your own risk and only if you know what you are doing!

2.6.29_A2SD4MCRr5_noflash.rar

Edited by Kalle Falter

Guest conord
Hi there,

after a big fight with my inner temptation I made a Kernel myself and put all the fun stuff in it people drooled over. To bad I'm too lazy to make an update.zip out of it, but if anyone likes to do that, be welcome and post it here.

With this tutorial I married the kernel to the MCR ramdisk, so thanks to cteneyck.

To install just push the 2 files extracted to your SD-card root and do the following:

adb shell
reboot[/codebox]

Your Hero should reboot fine with the new Kernel, but don't forget to nandroid, just in case.

The build-in modules are not tested, I just put them in there because people seemed to like having them. Have fun trying it out!

Thanks for your work on this, however when I attempt the first command (cat /dev/zero > /dev/mtd/mtd2) I receive the following error:

cat: write error: No space left on device

Any input would be appreciated!

Conor

Guest Keramidas
Thanks for your work on this, however when I attempt the first command (cat /dev/zero > /dev/mtd/mtd2) I receive the following error:

cat: write error: No space left on device

Any input would be appreciated!

Conor

I haven't followed this discussion at all, but I can say that it's normal for "cat /dev/zero > someDevice" to display the "No space left on device" error at the end. It's one of the few cases where the error means "it's all done" :angry:

Guest conord
I haven't followed this discussion at all, but I can say that it's normal for "cat /dev/zero > someDevice" to display the "No space left on device" error at the end. It's one of the few cases where the error means "it's all done" :angry:

Cheers for that, I'll get on with the add in kernel so!

CD

Guest Kalle Falter

forgot to mention, this might happen (I get it, too). According to the linked tutorial you can ignore that message and just continue with the steps.

Guest Dohey

Flashed the kernel successfully, everything is working well and the overclock is good. but, there seems to be some sort of bug when locking and unlocking the screen, once locked either manually or automatically the screen will not come back on.

Guest Kalle Falter

I 'm not experiencing this. Are you using plain MCR or have you flashed something else?

Could be the 19MHz Bug which doesn't happen on my device but seems to gives a better battery life... Try the attached version, it might fix this.

2.6.29_noflash_no19MHz.rar

Edited by Kalle Falter

Guest AlThePost

One or two issues here, Kalle.....

Installation went fine, but on the initial boot my display was seriously messed-up (blue/green and hard to read), I suspect due to previous use of SetCPU. I managed to open it and re-ran "autodetect speeds" and at the next boot things were back to normal. However...

1. The max/min appears locked at 710/19 and doesn't change unless I disable perflock in SetCPU 2.0.1. I wanted to experiment with less-severe overclocks but can't seem to get these to stick.

2. The handset frequently refuses to come out of sleep mode on the first attempt, requiring several keypresses to "wake up" and occasionally resulting in the same display issues as noted above.

I'm running a Kitchen-baked MCRr5 with A2SD+ enabled. I had installed Freeasabeer's updated Teknologist kernel but took the precaution of reverting to the stock kernel prior to installing yours.

Edited by AlThePost

Guest Kalle Falter

according to the kernel source you should not use setcpu; you can use overclockwidget but only to show the current speed. CPU-handling is completely done by the conservative sched, which gives the best performance for me. Might be better with OnDemand Sched though, but I like the scaling to be "gracefully" :angry:

Edited by Kalle Falter

Guest Dohey
One or two issues here, Kalle.....

Installation went fine, but on the initial boot my display was seriously messed-up (blue/green and hard to read), I suspect due to previous use of SetCPU. I managed to open it and re-ran "autodetect speeds" and at the next boot things were back to normal. However...

1. The max/min appears locked at 710/19 and doesn't change unless I disable perflock in SetCPU 2.0.1. I wanted to experiment with less-severe overclocks but can't seem to get these to stick.

2. The handset frequently refuses to come out of sleep mode on the first attempt, requiring several keypresses to "wake up" and occasionally resulting in the same display issues as noted above.

I'm running a Kitchen-baked MCRr5 with A2SD+ enabled. I had installed Freeasabeer's updated Teknologist kernel but took the precaution of reverting to the stock kernel prior to installing yours.

Having exactly the same problem, i had also installed the updated teknologist kernel, but i reverted too.

Guest conord
Having exactly the same problem, i had also installed the updated teknologist kernel, but i reverted too.

Installed the new kernel with no problems as reported by other users. Operating happily at 710 MHz... I'll report further if there are any hiccups etc...

Cheers again!

CD

Guest AlThePost
CPU-handling is completely done by the conservative sched, which gives the best performance for me.

Right, so it's full-speed all the way.... gotcha. :angry:

I've uninstalled SetCPU and rebooted but the problem waking from sleep persists. I'll restore via Nandroid and try reinstalling again onto a 'clean' system.

Guest baba007
Hi there,

To install just push the 2 files extracted to your SD-card root and do the following (ignore the error after the cat command):

adb shell
reboot[/codebox]

guys , i am a newbie so sorry for my question :

i have htc hero with modaco R5 rom , i found on the about phone that the kernel is 2.6.9 is this the same as this or should flash it , and what will this gives to my hero and thank you so much for your help.

cheers

ml

Guest baba007
guys , i am a newbie so sorry for my question :

i have htc hero with modaco R5 rom , i found on the about phone that the kernel is 2.6.9 is this the same as this or should flash it , and what will this gives to my hero and thank you so much for your help.

cheers

ml

hi guys :

i have installed as mentioned above but now my wireless is not working , please help

txs

Guest Kalle Falter
@Kalle Falter, just as a info the kernel sources you are using are not the latest one, the latest and most up-to-date have already been released by HTC: http://member.america.htc.com/download/Rom...5f74b252.tar.gz

yeah, I know, but I couldn't get OC working with these sources :angry:

When I have the time I might try to implement the patches from the sources I used to get it to work.

@SPAM007: did something go wrong when copying the wlan.ko? Maybe just try again...

Edited by Kalle Falter

Guest AlThePost
Could be the 19MHz Bug [...]

That must be what bit me, as even a clean reinstall after a Nandroid restore resulted in the same thing. I flashed the "no 19MHz" version earlier this evening and the handset now comes out of sleep when asked. Thanks.

Guest Dohey
I 'm not experiencing this. Are you using plain MCR or have you flashed something else?

Could be the 19MHz Bug which doesn't happen on my device but seems to gives a better battery life... Try the attached version, it might fix this.

Worked for me, thanks a lot, working great.

Guest baba007
yeah, I know, but I couldn't get OC working with these sources :angry:

When I have the time I might try to implement the patches from the sources I used to get it to work.

@SPAM007: did something go wrong when copying the wlan.ko? Maybe just try again...

Hi friend, no nothing went wrong with copying, I can try again once again, I let u know.

Txs man

Guest baba007
Hi friend, no nothing went wrong with copying, I can try again once again, I let u know.

Txs man

yes i did again copy wlan.ko and it worked . txs

Guest Kalle Falter
Is it safe to flash this kernel on MCR r4 rom? Thanx.

define safe... it's highly improbable that your phone will nuke itself :angry:

Guest rewop
define safe... it's highly improbable that your phone will nuke itself :angry:

lol, I know that kernel should be kind of independent from the rom that is running on top of it. It's stated clearly in the topic title and 1st post that this is for r5, I was just wondering if somebody flashed this on r4 or whether I should try this at all.

Guest Kalle Falter

it contains the ramdisk from r5, this is important if you are using A2SD+ and don't want to wipe. I don't think it has changed from r4 to r5 so it shouldn't be a problem.