Error [170] - Can't downgrade

Guest Tonkenna

Guest Tonkenna

Ok, I know this has been raised before, but I really am struggling to sort it.

Orange have just replaced a faulty Hero that I had for 9 months, rooted and running Modaco 3.2 r5 fine.

Now I'm trying to downgrade the new phone to 2.73.61.5 so that I can root and update..... but

I connect up the Hero via USB and run the RUU exe. I go through a number of stages and then get a message: 'verifying information about your android phone, please wait'. After a while I get an 'Error [170]: USB connection error'.

I've tried different cables and ports, same results.

I've got the latest HTC Sync software installed (and it works, I can sync fine, install apks fine).

I've tried with HTC Sync running and the phone connected and recognised, I've tried without HTC Sync running (just with the phone connected via the cable), I've tried with the SD card mounted and unmounted, and all variations, same results.

I've tried on an XP SP2 machine, and a Windows 7 64 Pro machine, with the same results.

I've tried turning the automatic windows driver update on Win 7 off, same results.

So where do I go from here? I've googled this from pillar to post, and can't see any resolution.

Help me please! I'm stuck with a stock Hero!

Cheers,

Phil

Guest Tonkenna
maybe try heroimg.zip method then.

Just to be clear, does that mean renaming the "RUU_Hero_Orange_UK_2.73.61.5_release_signed_NoDriver.exe" to "heroimg.zip", putting it on the SD card, and fast-booting?

I believe you need a goldcard for that, and I can't get the goldcard tool to run on Windows 7, when I double-click it just thinks for a while then does nothing. (don't have admin access to my XP machine, so can't run goldcard there)

Guest Tonkenna
No. You run the exe with no phone attached and get the file out the temp folder. Google heroimg.zip for info. And you need goldcard.

ie. follow http://www.villainrom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=375 but instead of using the ROM recommended there, use VR12 or whatever

Right-oh, that's a little clearer - odd, that never came out in any of the heroimg.zip things I looked at. Anyway, thanks, I'll try that tonight.

Phil

Guest DeekB
Just to be clear, does that mean renaming the "RUU_Hero_Orange_UK_2.73.61.5_release_signed_NoDriver.exe" to "heroimg.zip", putting it on the SD card, and fast-booting?

I believe you need a goldcard for that, and I can't get the goldcard tool to run on Windows 7, when I double-click it just thinks for a while then does nothing. (don't have admin access to my XP machine, so can't run goldcard there)

Another option is if you have access to a window's XP CD is to download virtual box and install XP in virtual box, then you will have all the admin access on XP you need,

Vitual Box is free for download but you'd need a window's Licence and Disc to run in it,

Otherwise an image of a windows CD with a licance, you could even install a copy and not bother activating it as this you you get 30 day's trial!

Edited by DeekB

Guest Tonkenna

OK, thanks everyone, I'm sorted now.

The key was the heroimg.zip method. That bypassed the RUU.exe and downgraded my phone to the right build. Oddly, I didn't need a goldcard to do it, it just worked.

It took a while, but now I'm rooted and on Villain5.4 - I tried Modaco first of all, but every time I flashed a cooked rom I got some kind of 'SIM locked, enter unlock code' message. I thought I'd screwed the phone, but did the heroimg.zip again, back to square one, but at least still working!

Thanks again, I'm enjoying 2.1!

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kotsergy

Hi, I'm also seeing Error [170], as well as [171]. I tried the heroimg.zip procedure http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=575448 but no luck.

The sad thing is that 3 months ago I simply used RUU.exe to downgrade another hero (bought at same place at the same as the one I'm suffering with now) on the same pc, using the same software etc.

Guest Tonkenna

Where did you get to in the heroimg.zip process before it fell over? (although I'm not sure why I'm asking, I'm not expert enough to help!)