Seven Email / IM

Guest PaulOBrien

seven1.pngseven2.pngseven3.pngseven4.png

Welcome to 'Paul's App of the Day', where I pick one of my favourite apps as featured app of the day! Today's app is...

Seven Email / IM

What they say

This is an unofficial release. We welcome feedback to help us prepare for an official release in the near future.

This version supports Android 2.x. We encourage people who have newer Android devices running version 2.x, or people with older Android devices that have been upgraded, to install this build and provide feedback.

This version supports Instant Messaging. There are two separate applications, one for email, and another for IM. Both are installed at the same time.

What we say

Our 'App of the Day' today is a little bit different... you won't find it in the Android Market. Seven the company sell their excellent push e-mail products only via mobile operator channels, however via their Beta program, users on unsupported carriers (that's likely you and I) can enjoy their software. All that is required in order to access the Beta is signup at their community forum, linked below.

Seven's client for the Android OS includes some very nice features - PUSH MAIL (Seven's real key feature) across a host of platforms (Exchange, Yahoo, HoTMaiL, POP3, IMAP), 'quiet times' when push can be automatically disabled, multiple accounts, server contact search, customisable notifications and more! Although the currently version of the software is missing a few features i'd like to see (primarily HTML mail), for Android users it can often be a trying task getting mail set up and working as desired if you are using something other than GMail, and Seven is making that story easier. I've been pushing an additional e-mail account and a HoTMaiL account for a while without any issues.

New to the latest Beta of Seven is IM support, so if you're looking to try another client for GTalk / Windows Live Messenger, Seven might be worth checking out (confession: I've not used the IM features yet!)

Permissions

INTERNET / WRITE_CONTACTS / READ_CONTACTS / WRITE_CALENDAR / READ_CALENDAR / VIBRATE / RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED / ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE / RECEIVE_SMS / READ_PHONE_STATE / WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE / WAKE_LOCK / MANAGE_ACCOUNTS / ACCOUNT_MANAGER / GET_ACCOUNTS / AUTHENTICATE_ACCOUNTS / WRITE_SYNC_SETTINGS / READ_SYNC_SETTINGS / READ_SYNC_STATS / com.seven.Z7.permission.ACCESS_PROVIDER / com.seven.Z7.permission.ACCESS_EVENTS

Download

Download Seven Email / IM at the Seven Community (registration required), ensure you download version 384237 or above.

QRcode

N/A

Price

FREE.

Market star rating at time of writing

N/A

Version at time of writing

Similar / Alternative apps

Check out K9 Mail, one of my other favourite alternative mail apps. :(

Suggested improvements for the next version

I'd love to see HTML email and the promised calendar support.

Have your say

Fan of Seven? Found something better? Just wanna share your experiences? Post below! :(

Guest brackehill_mob

Paul

What's better about this one than K-9 which I've been using? K-9 has a few niggles for me so I'd like to know why you prefer 7. I have about 6 a/c's I need on the phone, all of which are Google Mail or Google Apps. I've read one comment that you can't set up a/c's manually which would be a PIA for Google Apps!

TIA

Edited by brackehill_mob

Guest meinnit

I was just about to sign up when I came across this:

Use of this software includes sending an SMS message to us at time of installation and for each email account you register. This is for purposes of testing the reporting functionality.

The number is +xxx, located on the Isle of Man. For most people, this will be an international SMS leading to a charge on your bill. Others may not have SMS messaging in their plan. Please refer questions regarding service plans and expenses to your network operator.

Anyone know if this is a one off or will they send SMS to this number on many occasions?

Guest k3vink3vin
I was just about to sign up when I came across this:

Anyone know if this is a one off or will they send SMS to this number on many occasions?

I have been using SEVEN for over a year on both WM and Android, my company uses it and introduced it to me.

Since I wipe my devices a lot, these "once off" overseas SMS have been an issue to me.

What I do every time is that I remove my SIM card and connect through WiFi when I do the installation and account setup.

Edited by k3vink3vin

Guest meinnit
I have been using SEVEN for over a year on both WM and Android, my company uses it and introduced it to me.

Since I wipe my devices a lot, these "once off" overseas SMS have been an issue to me.

What I do every time is that I remove my SIM card and connect through WiFi when I do the installation and account setup.

Thanks for that. So are they really one off SMS?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest schmiew1

This is the app I have been looking for since I got my desire a few days ago. Can sync folders with my msn account which I could not with the HTC and K-9. Loving this app, would highly recommend it.

• 3 months later...
Guest 23rdian

I'm using this on my Nokia e63 at the moment and like it. I have registered to download but can't see one for the ZTE Blade. I thought Android was Android? Can I download the HTC version for example?

Edited by 23rdian