Parkdroid

Guest PaulOBrien

parkdroid1.pngparkdroid2.png

Welcome to 'Paul's App of the Day', where I pick one of my favourite apps as featured app of the day! Today's app is...

Parkdroid

What they say

Save the parked car location and Parkdroid will help you find it with GPS. Share your parking places to extend parking map of your city.
- NEW! Parking spots from internet search;
- Save car spot (GPS or manual);
- Car locator/finder (with digital compass);
- Show map;
- Get directions in Google Maps;
- Parking meter alarm.

What we say

While I haven't really seen one of the unique features of the app in action (the ability to share and find parking spots, the usefulness of which will improve over time), I can tell you that the saving of spots, the parking meter alarm and the directions features work great! Not only are all the key functions in here (and it's free!), there's something about the slick design of Parkdroid that really appeals. It looks superb on high resolution screens, is well thought out and most importantly is simple and convenient to use when out and about.

Permissions

ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION / CALL_PHONE / INTERNET / SEND_SMS / VIBRATE

Download

View Parkdroid at AppBrain

QRcode

To use, install 'Barcode Scanner' from the Android Market.

parkdroid.qrcode.png

Price

FREE

Market star rating at time of writing

3.86 (43 ratings)

Version at time of writing

Similar / Alternative apps

CarDar (formerly ParkMark) was probably the original app in this Genre, but I feel Parkdroid is better. Primospot looks neat... as long as you live in NYC or Boston. :(

Suggested improvements for the next version

I think this app is great. Something about the smooth design really works imho... top marks!

Have your say

Fan of Parkdroid? Found something better? Just wanna share your experiences? Post below! :(

Guest Denys Zadorozhnyi

I'm the author of Parkdroid and i'm very pleased to see my app here. Looking forward to see your questions and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

The first public release was only 3 weeks ago, so for now quantity of shared spots is rather small. But with every parking(not private) you make it bigger and bigger. You can see current amount of shared spots when you zoomed out. I also added parking/garage spots found on the internet with detailed info on tap.

Guest Entreated

Other than the fact that i found no parking places in any of the towns near my home (UK - West Midlands), this app seems to have real potential and could be highly beneficial when in time of need as parking can be a nightmare when you have no idea where you are!

EDIT: Okay just reloaded the app just out of curiosity and a dozen green parking spots popped up. So if anyone can't see any places near by reload the app, done the trick for me ha.

Edited by Entreated

Guest Denys Zadorozhnyi

EDIT: Okay just reloaded the app just out of curiosity and a dozen green parking spots popped up. So if anyone can't see any places near by reload the app, done the trick for me ha.

Spots are loaded after the first GPS fix and later on when spanning and zooming the map.

• 1 month later...
Guest Ozzie12345
I'm the author of Parkdroid and i'm very pleased to see my app here. Looking forward to see your questions and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

The first public release was only 3 weeks ago, so for now quantity of shared spots is rather small. But with every parking(not private) you make it bigger and bigger. You can see current amount of shared spots when you zoomed out. I also added parking/garage spots found on the internet with detailed info on tap.

I just found this app, I think it might work pretty good, but how do you turn it off?

I would love to see this app mark the spots automagically when it detects the phone has disconnected from my car's Bluetooth connection. That'd rock. :lol:

Must email the dev! B)

P

Guest ted4284
I just found this app, I think it might work pretty good, but how do you turn it off?

I'm confused. I tapped my location (the blue dot. Then what??? "Direction" in the menu is paled out so what's next?

Thanks,

Ted.

Guest Denys Zadorozhnyi
I would love to see this app mark the spots automagically when it detects the phone has disconnected from my car's Bluetooth connection. That'd rock. :)

Must email the dev! :(

P

I've got it into my roadmap. ;)

I'm confused. I tapped my location (the blue dot. Then what??? "Direction" in the menu is paled out so what's next?

Thanks,

Ted.

Tap the flag button when you want to save location. Then see it saved on the map and your current location via GPS. Also Locator at the top of app window will show you bearing to saved location. Finally, "Get direction" menu item will show full path to the saved location in the Google Maps.