New firmware I9000XWJM2 now available

Guest lucasjohny

Guest AndyCr15

So, the CODE file is the main ROM file, MODEM is the radio file, what does CSC actually do? I never seem to be able to use Odin if I include the CSC file, but it works fine without...?

Also, just now trying to flash all 3 files, the screen has gone all white? Anyone know what that's about?

I noticed, that the notification bar icons has been changed a bit. In the silent icon is not that red line on the speaker anymore, now it's white. The battery status does not change color anymore and the politic of showing the status has been changed... before it changed the first step in about 90%, now it changes in 80%.

Guest bigbadwolfie
Well, I have to disagree. I haven't had any lag with this fw. I love this! :(

Use it for a while and then see. I've not 'lag fixed' it or done anything untowards......yet!

:( Something must be wrong with your phone.. M2 is very fast on mine..

Nothing wrong with my 'phone, this release doesn't offer anything major over the last few releases.

Far too much placebo effect like many of these firmwares!

Guest DistortedLoop
So, the CODE file is the main ROM file, MODEM is the radio file, what does CSC actually do? I never seem to be able to use Odin if I include the CSC file, but it works fine without...?

Also, just now trying to flash all 3 files, the screen has gone all white? Anyone know what that's about?

My understanding is the CSC is the carrier customizations and stuff. On other Samsungs, you can apparently flash from Odin without the CSC to get a more "vanilla" Android install on your phone. That's just based on some Google searches I just made, not on any experience with Samsungs.

Guest takumikun

I got a serious problem after flashing to JM2. When I try to download an app on the Market it says "Download was unsusccessful, please try again." I did check repartition before flashing. Anyone any idea?

Update: in recovery mode it says multicsc: cannot access to /system/csc/KOR/system/

Anyone can explain what it is trying to say?

Edited by takumikun

Guest salih10

I had installed this firmware butt my phone was reacting very strange.

- It automatic shutdown.

- After one call, i couldn't call or be called anymore, internet was fine but no telephone.

Does someone else have the same problems.

Now i use JG5 (only) again. For me the best rom so far.

Edited by salih10

Guest sionyboy

Just discovered this Samsung-Firwmware site, few questions:

1. Do I need to root to install these firmwares?

2. Is there anyway to backup my apps/widgets etc, I'm guessing that a firmware flash will remove everything.

I'm running I9000XXjF3, using Launcher Pro rather than Toucwiz which has helped a bit, but it still lags/stalls a bit.

Guest DistortedLoop
Just discovered this Samsung-Firwmware site, few questions:

1. Do I need to root to install these firmwares?

2. Is there anyway to backup my apps/widgets etc, I'm guessing that a firmware flash will remove everything.

I'm running I9000XXjF3, using Launcher Pro rather than Toucwiz which has helped a bit, but it still lags/stalls a bit.

You don't need root to use Odin to flash firmwares.

You can backup your apps and settings with Titanium Backup. Highly recommended, but root is required.

Get root here: xda forum. It's insanely stupidly easy to install and appears to be very safe.

Download Titanium Backup from the Market. You'll want the premium version! As a plug for Paul's paid memberships, Titanium Backup enhanced version is FREE to MoDaCo Plus members!

Use Titanium to backup your apps and settings.

Get the firmware you want to try.

Use Odin to Flash. Some of the different firmwares require a differnt PIT file with Odin. Use the forum search for more discussion on that. The latest Euro firmwares we're using JG5 and JM1/2 need PIT 512.

Painless.

Good luck.

Guest sionyboy

Thanks for the reply! That root looks super-duper easy to do, might just do it for the heck of it!

Would I notice an improvement in the phone's performance or battery life from updating to one of these new roms, or should I just wait for a more official release? (currently on I9000XXJF3)

Guest AndyCr15
Nothing wrong with my 'phone, this release doesn't offer anything major over the last few releases.

Far too much placebo effect like many of these firmwares!

I don't really see how you can say that, how would you know? Do you have two SGS's to compare? If everyone else see's performance increase, you think the more likely thing is that we're all wrong?

I would suggest, if everyone else gets performance gain and you don't, it is more likely you did something wrong, or have it set up wrong somehow.

Guest DistortedLoop
Thanks for the reply! That root looks super-duper easy to do, might just do it for the heck of it!

Would I notice an improvement in the phone's performance or battery life from updating to one of these new roms, or should I just wait for a more official release? (currently on I9000XXJF3)

It depends on what firmware you already have. JG5 seems to be getting high marks for performance out of the box, with none of the lag and stalls that earlier firmwares seem to get.

Installing a MinFreeManager or AutoKiller (search the forum for more discussion this) to tweak Android's own internal memory mangement settings will probably make JG5 a very stable and reasonably fast device.

I haven't used JM1 or JM2, so no right to discuss them.

If you want to make your Galaxy S i9000 crazy fast then install JG5 or JM2 AND install mimocan's "real fix" (search the forum for the thread on that) and finish up with MinFreeManager. Very few have denied that there's big improvement in the feel of the phone with that combo. Quadrant benchmarks are doubling for many folks. Just make sure you've got a decent external sdcard (hint: Kingston's aren't working well for many).

Good luck, and let us know what you do and how it goes in the appropriate threads.

Guest jusgrave

the flash worked but i can't connect to tmobile network and can't connect to store please help?

also i rooted before i flashed the firmware and backed up with titanium .do i have to re root to restore?

Edited by jusgrave

Guest DistortedLoop
the flash worked but i can't connect to tmobile network and can't connect to store please help?

also i rooted before i flashed the firmware and backed up with titanium .do i have to re root to restore?

Yes, you'll probably have to root to run titanium. No biggie, just use the update.zip method.

I had to manually enter the APN settings for my phone when I switched it from its original Singapore ROM to the Euro ROM I'm using. Google search should find the T-Mo APN settings you'll need.

For the Market, can you access it on WiFi?

Guest jusgrave

i got the market to work was a router issue

i going to try that apn stuff now .

also was wondering how do i get swype to work again?

Guest DistortedLoop
also was wondering how do i get swype to work again?

Goto Settings, Keyboard, find Swype and enable Swype. On any text input box, press and hold until the menu pops up and select "Input Method", then click on Swype.

Guest jkgtan

Just got my I9000 over the weekend out from the box.

Firmware is JF4.

Just watched on Youtube on how to flash with odin. Looks pretty simple.

May I ask the members over here can I just flash my phone with this JM2 straight from JF4?

I will skip the csc will only flash with 512 PIT, PDA & Phone.

Thank you for your adv.

OH! OH!

Started the flashing and my phone just stay at

Downloading...

Do not turn off Target!!!

On Odin it says:

<ID:0/009> file analysis.....

It stay like this for more than 15 minutes.

What should I do?

Unplug it and key *2767*3855# to master reset?

Anyone can adv me?

Thank you

Edited by jkgtan

Guest jkgtan

Phew!!!

Redo again and again.

Now see the blue line loading.

Hurray!!!!

My phone reboot itself.

The start up screen is different now!

New Config:

PDA: WJM2

Phone: XJM1

CSC: XJM1

Edited by jkgtan

Guest jkgtan
Phew!!!

Redo again and again.

Now see the blue line loading.

Hurray!!!!

My phone reboot itself.

The start up screen is different now!

New Config:

PDA: WJM2

Phone: XJM1

CSC: XJM1

This is my first try and succeeded flashing I9000.

Can someone tell me do I need to root again?

Thank you.

This is my first try and succeeded flashing I9000.

Can someone tell me do I need to root again?

Thank you.

Yes. Always after flash you need to root again, if you want it to be rooted.

Guest bigbadwolfie
I don't really see how you can say that, how would you know? Do you have two SGS's to compare? If everyone else see's performance increase, you think the more likely thing is that we're all wrong?

I would suggest, if everyone else gets performance gain and you don't, it is more likely you did something wrong, or have it set up wrong somehow.

Like it's really difficult to get it wrong! :(