Help With Dead Computer

Guest Epic-Emodude

Guest Epic-Emodude

Hi Guys,

I know that this really isnt anything to do with the pulse but I really need help with my PC and I know that people here will try and help me, as you are all very knowledgeable. I have tired other forums with no luck, and im stuck on my phone so havent got the greatest browsing experience.

A couple of days ago i put a graphics card in my PC. The PC would then not start up. I have replaced the power supply and the computer now starts up, however whenever I plug in the power to my master hard drive it will not start up (If I try to plug it in while it is on it turns off), and I have no video output through the VGA output.

Please help me as I really need my PC!

Sorry again that its off topic

Thanx

Aaron

Guest KiSUAN

It seems to me that your power supply doesn't have enough Watts to power the video card and all the components of the pc, if you could detail the specific components of the Pc I could tell you for sure.

Anyway in case the pc starts up, even without any hard drive it should show video, you should see the Bios Splash screen and later something like "no device found..."

Edited by KiSUAN

Guest Azurren
Hi Guys,

I know that this really isnt anything to do with the pulse but I really need help with my PC and I know that people here will try and help me, as you are all very knowledgeable. I have tired other forums with no luck, and im stuck on my phone so havent got the greatest browsing experience.

A couple of days ago i put a graphics card in my PC. The PC would then not start up. I have replaced the power supply and the computer now starts up, however whenever I plug in the power to my master hard drive it will not start up (If I try to plug it in while it is on it turns off), and I have no video output through the VGA output.

Please help me as I really need my PC!

Sorry again that its off topic

Thanx

Aaron

You know that could be 100s of issues causing this :(

Right then, first off we will need to know what graphics card you have installed, your motherboard and the Rating (Wats) of the PSU.

But Imo it sounds like you have bought a power hungry graphics card and plonked it into a generic store-bought PC with the under-ratted PSU. Then you have either replaced the psu with something around the same Watts. Either that of their is a 6-pin plug on your new Graphics card and you either haven't plugged it in or don't have the correct plug on your psu..

But Like I said their are 100's of things that could be causing this :(

And I'm no expert.. I can put a PC together from parts but never had to trouble shoot such errors

Edited by Azurren

Guest Epic-Emodude
It seems to me that your power supply doesn't have enough Watts to power the video card and all the components of the pc, if you could detail the specific components of the Pc I could tell you for sure.

I had a 230W PSU which worked fine till I put the graphics card in.

I now have a 400W PSU without the graphics card (same setup as when it was working)

- 3.2GHz Intel P4

- 2GB DDR RAM

- 80GB HDD (not working now)

- 200GB HDD

- Asus P4i65G motherboard

Edit: I have had the graphics card in the PC before no probs. Its not rly high spec.It doesnt have a 6 pin power thing.

Edited by Epic-Emodude

Guest Alsajosora
I had a 230W PSU which worked fine till I put the graphics card in.

I now have a 400W PSU without the graphics card (same setup as when it was working)

- 3.2GHz Intel P4

- 2GB DDR RAM

- 80GB HDD (not working now)

- 200GB HDD

- Asus P4i65G motherboard

Edit: I have had the graphics card in the PC before no probs. Its not rly high spec.It doesnt have a 6 pin power thing.

400 Watts isn't really enough to power most modern graphics cards, which one do you have BTW? Most of them these days require more power than the PCIe slot is capable of supplying. Also just double check that the card is seated correctly in the slot, you should not be able to see any of the gold connectors if it is, it is quite common for the rear connectors to be only partially seated in the slot, so that although the card looks seated ok it isnt....

Guest Epic-Emodude
400 Watts isn't really enough to power most modern graphics cards, which one do you have BTW? Most of them these days require more power than the PCIe slot is capable of supplying. Also just double check that the card is seated correctly in the slot, you should not be able to see any of the gold connectors if it is, it is quite common for the rear connectors to be only partially seated in the slot, so that although the card looks seated ok it isnt....

Its a Hercules ATI Radeon 3D Prophet 9000 128mb. It uses AGP. The problem I have now isnt really to do with the graphics card, its the hard drive and lack of video output. the thing is im scared to put the graphics card back in incase it recks my new PSU.

Guest Epic-Emodude
Did you knock either of the cables connecting the harddrive? .... :(

No the ide is in but not the power as it stops it booting. This shouldn't stop the pc booting anyway

Guest JohnPorter

Before you put in the new video card, did you use the video card that is built-in to the motherboard?

If so, you may have to disable the onboard video card before installing the new video card.

Guest KiSUAN

First, the power supply of 400W you bought even if its 200W RMS should be enough for your rig. So based on that the PC should work fine, the power supply you bought could be broken also.

Before you put in the new video card, did you use the video card that is built-in to the motherboard?

If so, you may have to disable the onboard video card before installing the new video card.

What the friend here says seems to be your problem.

Also, never, never, plug anything to your computer while is booting.

Guest Epic-Emodude
First, the power supply of 400W you bought even if its 200W RMS should be enough for your rig. So based on that the PC should work fine, the power supply you bought could be broken also.

What the friend here says seems to be your problem.

Also, never, never, plug anything to your computer while is booting.

The thing is I haven't actually used my graphics card cause it killed my pc and it still doesn't solve the hard drive thing.

Thanks anyway

Aaron

Guest ogiogi

Check the power cables again. Check hdd boot priority in bios. Disable onboard VGA if present.

BTW what OS do you have on your PC. There are issues with older hardware and Windows 7.

Guest Epic-Emodude
Check the power cables again. Check hdd boot priority in bios. Disable onboard VGA if present.

BTW what OS do you have on your PC. There are issues with older hardware and Windows 7.

I can't see anything on the screen so I can't do. anything in bios. I have windows 7 on my hard drive but its the one that kills the pc

Guest ogiogi
I can't see anything on the screen so I can't do. anything in bios. I have windows 7 on my hard drive but its the one that kills the pc

There are known issues with older grpahics cards and monitors and Windows 7 like no wga output.

Disconnect the power cable from your pc. Wait for a half an hour or so and plug it in again. The screen should come on normally. But if you restart the PC the same problem will occur. So i recommend you install XP or upgrade your PC

Edited by ogiogi

Guest Epic-Emodude
There are known issues with older grpahics cards and monitors and Windows 7 like no wga output.

Disconnect the power cable from your pc. Wait for a half an hour or so and plug it in again. The screen should come on normally. But if you restart the PC the same problem will occur. So i recommend you install XP or upgrade your PC

Will upgrading the graphics card do. Will it be okay to use onboard graphics do for now?

Guest ogiogi
Will upgrading the graphics card do. Will it be okay to use onboard graphics do for now?

You can check graphic card compatibility with win 7 HERE but you can't be 100% sure as some other non compatible hardware may cause problems.

Guest Azurren

Ofc :(

Imo you should really stay away from any 2nd hand graphics cards.. But if you don't have a PCI-e slot on your motherboard then there really is no point in upgrading (As you won't get much of a performance boost)

Guest BigBearMDC

You are missing the most important question:

Do you get past POST? Usually when you turn on your PC all fans start running and after a few seconds you hear a beep. This beep signals that everything is ok with the hardware. If you don't hear that beep after turning on you PC your hardware is defect. Windows has definetly nothing to do with your problem as you don't have any output on your screen.

Best regards,

BB

Guest Epic-Emodude

Do you get past POST? Usually when you turn on your PC all fans start running and after a few seconds you hear a beep. This beep signals that everything is ok with the hardware. If you don't hear that beep after turning on you PC your hardware is defect. Windows has definetly nothing to do with your problem as you don't have any output on your screen.

Best regards,

BB

I don't think there is a beep but then I don't think there's ever been one. I've tried leaving it unplugged for 30 mins and nothing. Also there's still the hdd problem. I think its something to do with the 4 pins shorting.

Guest KiSUAN

BB is right, I understood from the start that he didnt see anything at any moment, so no software involved. BTW, if he doesn't hear a bip it could simply mean he dosent have a speaker or that is broken.

Disconnecting the pc for half an hour or 3 days would do nothing if the battery of the motherboard is in good state, you should do a CLRCMOS. But I sirously doubt that would help in this case.

Also if i understood correctly you said that the onboard graphic have died, in that case probably that wasnt the only thing that died o or not even the thing that died. It could be the motherboard as a whole, the CPu or the memory.

Edited by KiSUAN

Guest ogiogi

Best regards,

BB

I had this problem with at least 10 older PC's and win7. Win 7 installed correctly and the pc booted. Installed drivers and rebooted. Monitor turns off and never comes on. Force turn of pc by holding power button. Power on same problem. No VGA output. The PC's worked fine BTW after installing win XP. I've read somewhere that win 7 uses different boot resolution than other OS and hitting F8 on boot and selecting enable VGA mode fixed the problem on some PC's but not on all.

This is my experience anyway.I did worked in a PC repair shop for a while :(

Guest ogiogi
Windows boot isn´t system boot.

I know that and I'm not saying that this is the issue with Aaron's PC. Just saying that win 7 is causing blank screen on older pc's/monitors and i have seen this several times. I mean you can't see anything even the boot screen. The monitor just stays in standby mode. http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-device...get-signal.html

Guest BigBearMDC
Windows boot isn´t system boot.

Well, some systems have a quick boot feature, that doesn't display any POST output or power on screen, only a black screen directly followed by the OSs bootscreen. If that's the case the problem could still be related to windows - I didn't think of that earlier =/

But he should at least hear the POST beep, or see any HDD activity etc. Also he should here the startup sound ... if the PC booted up he surely would have noticed it. So I guess the system halts with an error. If the beeper isn't working or unplugged ther's also no way for him the hear a possible error message from POST.

Best regards,

BB