Clockwork Recovery now safe for Galaxy S and integrated with ROM Manager

Guest Matchstick

Guest Matchstick

Looks like Koush has sorted out the rough edges of his version of Clockwork Recovery for Galaxy S and integrated it into ROM Manager.

Just updated my copy of ROM Manager and tried backing up and it all sees to work great BUT make sure you don't already have named Update.zip on the root of the internal drive otherwise you'll see the normal recovery menu rather than the custom one.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=734166

Looks like work on the Galaxy S is really coming along well now :(

However there definitely does seem to be a problem in MCR r3 with Superuser not remembering permission since ROM Manager now need to be given superuser access every time you boot into recovery.

Guest Just_Testing

I successfully installed koush recovery, Are I'm I ready to install Paul's rom or should I wait for instructions ? "NOTE" I'm on Vibrant U.S, would I be Ok if I install this rom ?

Thank you..

Edited by Just_Testing

Guest aeo087
I successfully installed koush recovery, Are I'm I ready to install Paul's rom or should I wait for instructions ? "NOTE" I'm on Vibrant U.S, would I be Ok if I install this rom ?

Thank you..

Well you can try it out, make sure you backup your current firmware with Clockwork... I just got it working with JM2 and Mimocan's SD lag fix with ext4, works great!

Guest DistortedLoop
Well you can try it out, make sure you backup your current firmware with Clockwork... I just got it working with JM2 and Mimocan's SD lag fix with ext4, works great!

Clockwork should backup the symlink itself, but I don't know if it backs up the ext partition that gets symlinked to. Could be a problem if it doesn't backup the ext 4 data, and then you removed the sdcard for some reason and tried to restore.

I'll have to post a question for koush on that, unless someone here knows for sure.

Guest megakid

Whilst I'm an experienced IT guy, I'm an Android newbie with my first android phone being the Galaxy S. I'm running mimocan's ext4 lag fix w/JG5.

What exactly will this ROM Manager give me? For example, Can I flash to JM2 without loosing all my settings? Can someone explain exactly what the reasoning is behind having a recovery ROM?

Guest DistortedLoop
Whilst I'm an experienced IT guy, I'm an Android newbie with my first android phone being the Galaxy S. I'm running mimocan's ext4 lag fix w/JG5.

What exactly will this ROM Manager give me? For example, Can I flash to JM2 without loosing all my settings? Can someone explain exactly what the reasoning is behind having a recovery ROM?

ROM Manager will let you do a NAND backup. Think of a nand backup as the phone's equivalent of a bit-by-bit clone backup of your computer hard drive. You can also restore said backup, and flash custom ROMs without going through Odin. That's big for someone like me who doesn't have easy access to a Windows box and can't use Odin on a Mac.

The advantage here is that you can set a known good configuration of the phone that you can always go back to if you have issues. Most people use it as a way to backup the phone before experimenting with new custom ROMS.

ROM Manager lets you do it from within Android itself for the GUI. Many other phones you do it through a menu option in a custom Recovery.

There's a free copy of ROM Manager that's ad-supported, try it out if you're interested, but I encourage anyone to pay the $3.99 for the premium version if you use it or at least buy Koush a beer. Koush has given a lot of great stuff to our various Android devices.

Edited by DistortedLoop

Guest bambibio

Okay so this will give one the ability to create full backups and such, but I'm still unclear if this will make it possible to backup settings, such as APN, ringtones, launcher options etc, since those are pain in the ass to always manually put in after every flash.

Guest fredphoesh
Okay so this will give one the ability to create full backups and such, but I'm still unclear if this will make it possible to backup settings, such as APN, ringtones, launcher options etc, since those are pain in the ass to always manually put in after every flash.

AFAIK, No.

Restoring it is like restoring from an image file, which will replace the whole OS, system, settings etc.

Titanium Backup is the best thing for what you are wanting, but you will still have to manually input your email/passwords a dozen times with that because though you COULD restore all system settings, you may not want to because as you upgrade or change ROMS, settings for one may not be applicable to another.

At least that was my experience on my previous android device.

But its VERY useful to have a good, working ROM backed up, just in case something goes pear shaped.

Mark

Guest Kilack

Yeah clockworkmod is great, i just got the premium version, I don't plan on staying with the galaxy for long (better phones will come) but he supports lots of phones and I will definitely be sticking with android phones :(.

Yes still a pain when you do go to a new rom having to enter phone settings in each time etc...

Guest DistortedLoop
Yeah clockworkmod is great, i just got the premium version, I don't plan on staying with the galaxy for long (better phones will come) but he supports lots of phones and I will definitely be sticking with android phones :(.

Yes still a pain when you do go to a new rom having to enter phone settings in each time etc...

+1

I figure I'll have a new phone in 6 months at the longest, probably something newer by Fall. The i9000 (lag-fixed with mimocan) is almost perfect, but it's few missing features (no LED flash, no trackball/pad, no hard search button) make it less interesting long term for me. Mine's on AT&T frequencies also. I'll most likely be looking at a T-Mobile device for their super-fast version of HSDPA+, or a Sprint 4G if Sprint gets off their butts and gets WiMax pushed to my part of town in Los Angeles.

But anyways, yes, Koush gives us so much, he deserves any coin you can toss his way. :(

Guest DistortedLoop
Clockwork should backup the symlink itself, but I don't know if it backs up the ext partition that gets symlinked to. Could be a problem if it doesn't backup the ext 4 data, and then you removed the sdcard for some reason and tried to restore.

I'll have to post a question for koush on that, unless someone here knows for sure.

Good news on this front. Multiple posts on xda stating that ROM Mgr works perfectly and automatically detects the ext partition and backs up/restores it.

Time to play with some ROMs! LOL.

Guest jhansen
...it's few missing features (no LED flash, no trackball/pad, no hard search button)...

True, it does not have a hard search button, but I think that long pressing the menu button works fairly well.

Guest DistortedLoop
True, it does not have a hard search button, but I think that long pressing the menu button works fairly well.

The Nexus One was my first Android phone, and once I develop a habit, it's hard to break. I do miss the actual button, and always will, but I didn't know that LONG pressing the menu button (ie., holding it) activated search! Good tip, thanks. You're right it's an okay alternative, but I still miss the actual button for it. For some reason I just like the four button and a trackball paradigm of the Nexus One. :(

Guest aeo087
Good news on this front. Multiple posts on xda stating that ROM Mgr works perfectly and automatically detects the ext partition and backs up/restores it.

Time to play with some ROMs! LOL.

I tried to flash the SamSet 1.6 rom using clockwork, but it doesn't work for some reason. I go into Rom Manager, select "Install rom from SD card", select the SamSet1.6.zip file, it reboots, goes into clockwork and applies it, but I see no change at all... Has anyone flashed a rom successfully with this? does it have to be a full rom with firmware in order for it to work? if so, how do we apply the current roms that require an update.zip and still keep clockwork?

You can't really restore your rom if you don't have the clockwork update.zip on your internal memory... unless of course you re-flash a samsung firmware and put it back in there. (which brings you back to odin...)

Back to my question, how do I apply update.zip files correctly using Clockwork and ROM manager?

Guest DistortedLoop
I tried to flash the SamSet 1.6 rom using clockwork, but it doesn't work for some reason. I go into Rom Manager, select "Install rom from SD card", select the SamSet1.6.zip file, it reboots, goes into clockwork and applies it, but I see no change at all... Has anyone flashed a rom successfully with this? does it have to be a full rom with firmware in order for it to work? if so, how do we apply the current roms that require an update.zip and still keep clockwork?

You can't really restore your rom if you don't have the clockwork update.zip on your internal memory... unless of course you re-flash a samsung firmware and put it back in there. (which brings you back to odin...)

Back to my question, how do I apply update.zip files correctly using Clockwork and ROM manager?

If SamSet isn't set up to be flashed as an update, it won't work with with Recovery method. Are you sure the zip you have isn't just a zip file containing the stuff to flash with Odin.

The specific answer to your last question is that you must have ROMS specifically designed to be flashed with recovery and not Odin.

As far as getting back to your original ROM, you're correct that if you've somehow removed the update.zip that starts clockwork from your internal sdcard, then you'll be unable to get back to your nand backup until you get that back on there. That's a a great argument for a hard recovery like we have on Nexus One and other phones.

As long as you can boot your phone, or at least get it to the point that adb will let you push a file to it (recovery mode), you can always put a backup of the clockwork update.zip in the proper place and go from there.

The nice thing about Odin is that it's the ultimate insurance for us. No way to brick our phones because we can always use Odin and download mode to restore to a working phone. It's a relative hassle, but it's an extra layer of safety.