Some odd problems - is the phone faulty?

Guest pete_thomson

Guest pete_thomson

Hi Guys

I made the swap from Windows Mobile and got a Desire. It's a new black one from Orange with the Orange rom on it.

So far it's been 100% better than my Touch HD (with one of Dutty's last roms on it) but I've come across a couple fo niggles - not sure if it's faulty or a config issue.

1) I've set the phone not to sleep when powered - yet it goes to sleep randomly anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes.

2) I live in a strong HSPDA area. On my Touch HD my phone was set to kill the data connection after 15 mins. After usage it'd drop back from HSPDA (H) to 3G (3G) until either it got more use in which it'd quickly jump back to H etc.

On the Desire it struggles. It sits on 3G and when I go use it, it'll take 30-45 seconds to switch to 3G+ then it'll take 20-30 second to start sending / receiving data. Then apparenty randomly it'll drop back to 3G and freeze. No data sent or received, network connected apps will report timeouts. It'll take up to a minute to then jump back up to 3G+ and resume connectivity.

3) GPS - today I've also noticed that when the above is happening that the GPS will appear to freeze too. It still shows it's locked but wont update my position if I'm moving until I jump back to 3G+ then it briefly flashes maybe once, then updates.

4) If I set the phone charging, either via USB or the mains charger, it'll charge to 100% and then stops charging.....but then the battery starts to discharge. I have to stop charging and wait about a minute and plug it back in to start charging again. I had 90% when I went to bed last night and popped it on charge. Woke up to 79% and falling.

The phone atm is 100% stock, but has been network unlocked with code from Orange and I swapped the 4Gb microsd card for a 16Gb

Is this normal, is it a faulty handset??

I'm looking to root it and put a fairly stock ROM on it to get rid of the Orange crap.... is it worth trying that first?

Thanks

Pete

Edited by pete_thomson