Dev Request: Bluetooth HID support

Guest NZtechfreak

Guest NZtechfreak

Quick request - is anyone able to add bluetooth HID profile support for this phone?

Would allow BT keyboard use, along with WiiMote controller support (PSX and GBA emulation via TV Out with a WiiMote or bluetooth classic controller would be awesome).

(Ideally so it can be added as an option in the ROM kitchen :()

Edited by NZtechfreak

Guest kanzlr

I recommend KeyPro.

it supports SPP profile keyboards like the Freedom Universal² (but not the excellent Stowaway slim).

Well, it works as well as Android allows it to :(

Guest NZtechfreak
I recommend KeyPro.

it supports SPP profile keyboards like the Freedom Universal² (but not the excellent Stowaway slim).

Well, it works as well as Android allows it to :(

Except thats no good for using various game controllers though, so would suit only a part of my purpose. Since I already own the excellent iGo Ultra Slim Stowaway I have little interest in getting the Freedom one.

Guest kanzlr

I am with you on this and I would welcome HID support, because I also already own a Stowaway.

it is just that the Android kernel doesn't support HID yet. Somebody would have to compile it in, and then commercial solutions like KeyPro would till not support it because it would need unofficial kernels :(

Guest squidgyb
I am with you on this and I would welcome HID support, because I also already own a Stowaway.

it is just that the Android kernel doesn't support HID yet. Somebody would have to compile it in, and then commercial solutions like KeyPro would till not support it because it would need unofficial kernels :(

I've already stated my support in the similar thread on xda, btu I just remembered something I saw a few days ago - doesn't FroYo bring with it better support for Bluetooth HID device?

I've already stated my support in the similar thread on xda, btu I just remembered something I saw a few days ago - doesn't FroYo bring with it better support for Bluetooth HID device?

I'm waiting for Cyanogenmod 6 to arrive to the Galaxy S. It supports the HID profile completely. Not just as an input method, it also allows you to wake the phone with the keyboard (I tested it on the HTC Legend)

Guest kanzlr
I'm waiting for Cyanogenmod 6 to arrive to the Galaxy S. It supports the HID profile completely. Not just as an input method, it also allows you to wake the phone with the keyboard (I tested it on the HTC Legend)

sexy. Does it allow various keyboard layouts, as the stowaways are differently laid out than a traidional QWERTY

Guest miker71

Have to admit, I'm really surprised iOS got official BT HID support before Android (although I think on iOS it is keyboards only?). It would definitely open up the peripherals market and increase gaming potential and ... well, does anyone remember how the Kempston interface cleaned up? :(

Guest squidgyb
Have to admit, I'm really surprised iOS got official BT HID support before Android (although I think on iOS it is keyboards only?). It would definitely open up the peripherals market and increase gaming potential and ... well, does anyone remember how the Kempston interface cleaned up? :(

Kempston? Christ, that's a name I haven't heard since, oooh, 1989? :(

Anyhow, I thought I'd copy/paste the info/conversation I posted on xda earlier on today;

If you can get a Wii controller working, shout me - I've been trying since I got my Galaxy with every different firmware/update combination - it's a no go at the moment.

Ryan Frawley replied to an email I sent saying it's down to samsung's bluetooth drivers being modified as compared to the standard Android drivers.

As I was writing this post, I checked my mail to look up Ryan's reply, and found a reply from Samsung to a mail I sent a few days ago (last friday I think). I will post the conversation in it's entirety here, I hope the employees at Samsung do not mind, as I do quote this without permission:

Reply:

My reply:

As usual, I don't expect much to come from this to be honest - my previous experience with this kind of query tells me that it'll get shoved under the carpet relatively quickly.

We'll probably be waiting until a proper Cyanogen ROM turns up, or someone gets either Ryan Frawley to patch up the application side (though I'd much rather the bluetooth drivers were standardised to begin with).

PS: Anyone tried a zeemote, mini bluetooth keyboard yet? I'm tempted to throw £30 or so on a keyboard/zeemote combo but I would like to know if it's something that will work out of the box or not.

Sorry about the quotefest. It seemed to be the best way...