FroYo arriving within 15 hours!

Guest dan 6a

Guest AndyCr15

May be a silly question, but are Samsung-Firmwares.com actually officially linked to Samsung in any way, or are they just a site that hosts firmware for Samsung devices?

Still, very interesting. SGS, with FroYo and the Mimo fix would be pretty awesome!

Guest dan 6a
May be a silly question, but are Samsung-Firmwares.com actually officially linked to Samsung in any way, or are they just a site that hosts firmware for Samsung devices?

Not a silly question, I have been dying to know what the real deal on this is myself my guess is that it is 'leaked' on purpose, its a win win for samsung because they get us tech loving people to complain about what is not working, and they get free feedback before officially releasing it to the public.

Has Paul released any MCR ROM based on a alpha ROM? I hope he will do :(

Serious? It comes out in 12 hours, he needs to download it before working on it :( He is not that magical heh

Guest Kilack

I reckon it will be genuine especially considering Samsung themselves have said froyo would be ready early august so not surprising it will be leaked a bit early like every other firmware has.

More details here

http://samsung-firmware.webs.com/apps/blog...-s-android-2-2-

Doesn't see full memory and they say it goes slow under some circumstances..

I think I'll let some others do the testing for me this time and won't rush in. Highly possible Samsung will introduce a whole bunch of new bugs too :(

Edited by Kilack

Guest DistortedLoop

Samsung-firmwares is pretty clearly not officially affiliated with Samsung.

A simple whois command on the domain shows it's registered to someone hiding behind a domain privacy service - why would Samsung do that?

Also, reading their blog post on the FroYo "leak", they say:

"On the Samsung server we find 2 firmwares.

I9000XXJP1 and I9000XXJP2

We download I9000XXJP1 but this is a currupt file on the server.

Second time we download I9000XXJP2 this is a correct file.",

which suggests they're poking around outside of normal channels. They might have a contact inside Samsung, but it's not Samsung official.

As for jumping in with an Alpha of FroYo, I'll hold off. Other than JIT, which you can actually get on 2.1 with sera's ROM, FroYo's not offering much I can't wait a bit for. I already effectively have apps2sd with JG5 and mimocan's fix, and my phone is wicked fast as well.

Good luck guys who try it, I'm looking forward to the reports.

Guest zenkinz

foryo does have some change in the architecture which explains the two-five fold improvements in performance over its predecessor.

one may argue that with mimoscan's fix one can achieve the performance index as a froyo-based nexus, but remember the performance index is based on accumulation of performance index on various aspect of the device, namely cpu, graphics, memory, storage, etc. So all else equal, it's the storage improvement that propells the performance index, and it's not surprise it shoot up by so much, when the access time went from 20-30ms to 0.xx ms. But it doesn't show the true performance because essentially the device is now bottlenecked by the cpu and memory and graphics which is what I am hoping froyo to address.

in nutshell, I'm expecting a much better/faster/all-rounded performance froyo-based rom over a eclair+patched rom.

that's just me, yet to be proven by a real froyo rom though. so we will see.

A simple whois command on the domain shows it's registered to someone hiding behind a domain privacy service - why would Samsung do that?

which suggests they're poking around outside of normal channels. They might have a contact inside Samsung, but it's not Samsung official.

As for jumping in with an Alpha of FroYo, I'll hold off. Other than JIT, which you can actually get on 2.1 with sera's ROM, FroYo's not offering much I can't wait a bit for. I already effectively have apps2sd with JG5 and mimocan's fix, and my phone is wicked fast as well.

Guest DistortedLoop
foryo does have some change in the architecture which explains the two-five fold improvements in performance over its predecessor.

I didn't say anything to the contrary.

one may argue that with mimoscan's fix one can achieve the performance index as a froyo-based nexus, but remember the performance index is based on accumulation of performance index on various aspect of the device, namely cpu, graphics, memory, storage, etc. So all else equal, it's the storage improvement that propells the performance index, and it's not surprise it shoot up by so much, when the access time went from 20-30ms to 0.xx ms. But it doesn't show the true performance because essentially the device is now bottlenecked by the cpu and memory and graphics which is what I am hoping froyo to address.

Again, I didn't say anything to the contrary. I don't have to argue that mimocan's fix on the SGS can achieve the performance on an N1 on 2.2, I can demonstrate myself that the SGS with mimocan reports better benchmarks, by a good margin, than a FroYo'd N1. Just look at the benchmarks folks are posting. In fact, I just saw some benchmarks posted from FroYo on the SGS in another thread - they are only slightly higer than the non-mimocan SGS scores we're seeing, and they are significantly lower than mimocan'd phones. (FroYo on SGS = 965, Mimocan on SGS = 1400-1700+. BIG difference there.) I suspect this FroYo release hasn't addressed the problem that's bogging down the phones. We might need to FroYo AND mimocan!

Still, that wasn't my point.

in nutshell, I'm expecting a much better/faster/all-rounded performance froyo-based rom over a eclair+patched rom.

that's just me, yet to be proven by a real froyo rom though. so we will see.

I'm pretty sure that a proper, stable, ready to release, FroYo with all its changes will run faster than 2.1 with some hacks.

My only point was that an alpha release that has several reported problems, including lagginess (the bane of the SGS it seems) by the one who's acquired it somehow, doesn't offer enough performance benefits to me to bother with it. I am getting stable, mind-boggling speeds out of JG5+mimocan and personally don't feel the need to be one of the guinea pigs on this one unless the majority of testers report no issues. I love playing around with hacks and improvements to the phone, but in the end, it's still my phone and I need to be fairly reliable in operation while out & about. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Edited by DistortedLoop

Guest DistortedLoop

Add in the fact that samsung-firmwares has a "Sites we don't like" page that links to a blacklist of sites and it's clearly not ran by a multi-national major electronics firm like Samsung. No way.

Guest xedamen

For me, the gameloft games doesn't work. The install was Ok, but when i put the phone in airplane mode, open the game, it's writing, that no enough free space on sd. I have an 16 GB sd and the boult in sd with 5.78 GB free... I don't understand it. Any idea?

Guest aeo087

You know, I've thought about this, no company has been smart enough to realize that they could have free Beta testers in us... There's a huge community of Android enthusiasts and we're willing to test pretty much anything on our phones; If Samsung, HTC, or anyone wanted true Alpha and Beta testing, what better way than to use us?? These companies need to get smart, put a million disclosures, void warranty, lol, make a website called samsung-firmwares and promote it in all the forums (then look for bug reports...) haha

Regardless of who or how Samsung-Firmwares exists, I think we're all amazingly grateful...

Guest DistortedLoop
You know, I've thought about this, no company has been smart enough to realize that they could have free Beta testers in us... There's a huge community of Android enthusiasts and we're willing to test pretty much anything on our phones; If Samsung, HTC, or anyone wanted true Alpha and Beta testing, what better way than to use us?? These companies need to get smart, put a million disclosures, void warranty, lol, make a website called samsung-firmwares and promote it in all the forums (then look for bug reports...) haha

Regardless of who or how Samsung-Firmwares exists, I think we're all amazingly grateful...

Oh, I agree 100% about Samsung-Firmwares. I've been getting my ROMs from them just like everyone else.

The question was asked above if they were officially Samsung, and it's easy to think they are at first, but it's important to know that they aren't, in my opinion.

Yes and no to the free beta testers with the MoDaCo & XDA crowds - on the one hand, yes, we're willing and probably more saavy than most, but on the other, it's nice to have control of who's seeing your software in its early stages, especially if you might be adding features that you don't want copied by others before you even go public. I could make strong arguments either way.

Guest zenkinz
I didn't say anything to the contrary.

Again, I didn't say anything to the contrary. I don't have to argue that mimocan's fix on the SGS can achieve the performance on an N1 on 2.2, I can demonstrate myself that the SGS with mimocan reports better benchmarks, by a good margin, than a FroYo'd N1. Just look at the benchmarks folks are posting. In fact, I just saw some benchmarks posted from FroYo on the SGS in another thread - they are only slightly higer than the non-mimocan SGS scores we're seeing, and they are significantly lower than mimocan'd phones. (FroYo on SGS = 965, Mimocan on SGS = 1400-1700+. BIG difference there.) I suspect this FroYo release hasn't addressed the problem that's bogging down the phones. We might need to FroYo AND mimocan!

Still, that wasn't my point.

I'm pretty sure that a proper, stable, ready to release, FroYo with all its changes will run faster than 2.1 with some hacks.

My only point was that an alpha release that has several reported problems, including lagginess (the bane of the SGS it seems) by the one who's acquired it somehow, doesn't offer enough performance benefits to me to bother with it. I am getting stable, mind-boggling speeds out of JG5+mimocan and personally don't feel the need to be one of the guinea pigs on this one unless the majority of testers report no issues. I love playing around with hacks and improvements to the phone, but in the end, it's still my phone and I need to be fairly reliable in operation while out & about. Your mileage may vary, of course.

no you didn't get my point. the fact that your mimocan scored better than N1, is only in numbers, because its that particular IO test that spike up the scores but in terms of cpu, memory, etc, it's not as optimized as Froyo, and therefore I don't think you can just compare apple to apple, as far as score is concerned. numbers and statistics are sometimes misleading than trying to be objective.

Guest DistortedLoop
no you didn't get my point. the fact that your mimocan scored better than N1, is only in numbers, because its that particular IO test that spike up the scores but in terms of cpu, memory, etc, it's not as optimized as Froyo, and therefore I don't think you can just compare apple to apple, as far as score is concerned. numbers and statistics are sometimes misleading than trying to be objective.

I get your point.

You don't seem to get my point that my SGS opens apps faster (i/o) and "feels" faster in response to most things I do, as well as benchmarks faster, than a Nexus One with FroYo. For the bulk of users that's what matters, the "feel" of using the device. Yes, it's subjective, but only geeks worry about benchmarks, it's the real-world everyday use of your device that counts, and that is much more subjective than objective. CPU speed is meaningless if it takes 30 seconds to open twitter client on one phone vs almost instantaneous on the other. The one that opens the apps faster will be preferred by the masses, right?

If you read the mimocan and mimocan-which-sdcard-is-best discussions we had here over the last couple of weeks, you'll see that a few of us, myself included, have criticized the use of Quadrant as the benchmark for discussing this topic, but it seems to be what the forum members and many bloggers want to use.

You also seem to have igored, twice now, that I am in NO WAY saying that a final optimized version of FroYo isn't going to be better than Eclair or Eclair/mimo-fix. All I am saying is that the FroYo for SGS that has been leaked is clearly an alpha or early beta, clearly has some issues, and clearly isn't enough of an improvement in performance on the phones it's being installed on to make it worth my while to play with at this time. Right now my phone is fast and stable, and I am very pleased with it. I will put FroYo on it when it's stable, but I'm in no hurry (yet).

If you want to be a bleeding edge type user and go through the hassle of lags, crashes, apps not working, and the other stuff JP1/2 are reporting, you won't be criticized by me for doing it. Have at it, enjoy, let us know how it works; I just won't be joining this party early like I usually do with ROMS for my Nexus One.

:(

Guest tameracingdriver
I get your point.

You don't seem to get my point that my SGS opens apps faster (i/o) and "feels" faster in response to most things I do, as well as benchmarks faster, than a Nexus One with FroYo. For the bulk of users that's what matters, the "feel" of using the device. Yes, it's subjective, but only geeks worry about benchmarks, it's the real-world everyday use of your device that counts, and that is much more subjective than objective. CPU speed is meaningless if it takes 30 seconds to open twitter client on one phone vs almost instantaneous on the other. The one that opens the apps faster will be preferred by the masses, right?

If you read the mimocan and mimocan-which-sdcard-is-best discussions we had here over the last couple of weeks, you'll see that a few of us, myself included, have criticized the use of Quadrant as the benchmark for discussing this topic, but it seems to be what the forum members and many bloggers want to use.

You also seem to have igored, twice now, that I am in NO WAY saying that a final optimized version of FroYo isn't going to be better than Eclair or Eclair/mimo-fix. All I am saying is that the FroYo for SGS that has been leaked is clearly an alpha or early beta, clearly has some issues, and clearly isn't enough of an improvement in performance on the phones it's being installed on to make it worth my while to play with at this time. Right now my phone is fast and stable, and I am very pleased with it. I will put FroYo on it when it's stable, but I'm in no hurry (yet).

If you want to be a bleeding edge type user and go through the hassle of lags, crashes, apps not working, and the other stuff JP1/2 are reporting, you won't be criticized by me for doing it. Have at it, enjoy, let us know how it works; I just won't be joining this party early like I usually do with ROMS for my Nexus One.

:(

Spot on post.

Most people (me included) dont give a toss about benchmarks, they just want a good user experience.

I'm still on JG1 with the lag fix at the moment. I was all for going to JM2, ROM and SD card fix, but after spending 2 hours wondering WTF my SD card wouldnt even partition (despite following all of the guides to the letter, and having over 10 years IT experience in my job and more as a "hobby"), I've just left it alone. It works well enough. If it wasn't for these forums (here, XDA, SGS forums) I would have sold my SGS a while back and gone back to the iphone.... the advice of these forums has made my phone useable. However, I have no desire to flash new firmware every week. I may well just wait until Froyo is final before I flash...

As the old saying goes "if it ain't broke...." (although the fact I feel like I can't install any large game or app is slightly annoying for now (due to the lag fix), and part of the reason for me trying the SD fix, but I'm buggered if I'm going to spend many more hours trying to partition an SD card!)

I think I am becoming more like average joe with each passing year, and average joe wants something that works, works well, and isn't any hassle. Hence why the iphone is so popular - most average joe don't care that its "limited".

Guest DistortedLoop
I think I am becoming more like average joe with each passing year, and average joe wants something that works, works well, and isn't any hassle. Hence why the iphone is so popular - most average joe don't care that its "limited".

Yeah, me too. I'm almost 50 now, and my desire to have the latest and greatest is still there, but the time and energy to mess around with it too much is fading away. I'm happy enough these days just being on the "leading edge" instead of the "bleeding edge". :(