Upgrading to DC23

Guest wicked.ludicrous

Guest wicked.ludicrous

I've spent this entire day downloading the massive DC23 upgrade tool on Samsung's site 3 TIMES. Yes, you read that right, 3 times. Even worse, the download went at a dull 10 kb/sec for majority of the time...........

After trying to get help on Verizon's forums and on a designated site for the i920, I'm really hoping I can get some quick and accurate responses.

So my problem is that when I try running the upgrade tool (.exe file), I get a prompt saying that the file is not a Win32 Application. I've downloaded the file 3 different times for 3 different OS's and they didn't work on their respective OS. Are my 3 computers just not working right, or is the file itself not working???

But after reading around, I'm considering flashing to a custom ROM. But I think I need to read a bit more first. Would I need to upgrade first and then flash, or would it be wiser to flash to a custom ROM and not upgrade?

And where would I be able to find a manual or nice info page about custom ROMs/flashing for newbs?

Thanks

Guest Omega Ra
I've spent this entire day downloading the massive DC23 upgrade tool on Samsung's site 3 TIMES. Yes, you read that right, 3 times. Even worse, the download went at a dull 10 kb/sec for majority of the time...........

After trying to get help on Verizon's forums and on a designated site for the i920, I'm really hoping I can get some quick and accurate responses.

So my problem is that when I try running the upgrade tool (.exe file), I get a prompt saying that the file is not a Win32 Application. I've downloaded the file 3 different times for 3 different OS's and they didn't work on their respective OS. Are my 3 computers just not working right, or is the file itself not working???

But after reading around, I'm considering flashing to a custom ROM. But I think I need to read a bit more first. Would I need to upgrade first and then flash, or would it be wiser to flash to a custom ROM and not upgrade?

And where would I be able to find a manual or nice info page about custom ROMs/flashing for newbs?

Thanks

I had that problem with my sisters, download from HERE, it will download faster and flashing works fine :(

edit; upgrade first then flash custom.

Edited by Omega Ra

Guest amdzero

Thanks

The information you are looking for has already been posted on here. But I'll answer it anyways.

okay so lets go over some basics about custom roms/flashing for newbs...

You phone has a ROM that can be upgraded just like any flash device. There are portions of this "ROM" that can be overwritten, and some that are DANGEROUS to overwrite. There are 3 common portions of the flash rom for your phone:

CSC - Contains basic level connection for the device. You can see this when you turn off the phone and connect it to a power source. The battery icon comes up, but windows has not been started.

Phone - This portion contains information for your specific radio. Since we have a CDMA phone, we need CDMA phone information/drivers

PDA - This is like your operating system for your phone. Without it the phone will not boot up.

So if you completely erase the ROM for your phone, you will not be able to perform the DC23 upgrade. You should still be able, however to flash a custom rom.

The custom roms here in THIS section (i920) don't mess with phone nor csc parts of the ROM (as of this date). We only cook PDA roms for your viewing pleasure.

The official upgrade roms from samsung have all 3 parts and usually a custom uploader (.exe) When you decide to "upgrade" to a custom rom you will need OCTANS Full to flash a PDA flash rom file to your phone. This will basically give you a "new" operating system for your phone. I say new, but sometimes you are just trying to get better features not necessarily trying to get a newer version.

In short, do the DC23 upgrade to get the CSC and Phone rom portions up to date, but no it is not mandatory for the roms posted here on the i920 side of MoDaCo.

Guest wicked.ludicrous

Still get the same prompt using that link......

I might just try doing it once more on my XP SP2 computer. If that doesn't work, I might have as much of a chance if I were to pull one outa my ass...

Edited by wicked.ludicrous

Guest kdkinc
Still get the same prompt using that link......

I might just try doing it once more on my XP SP2 computer. If that doesn't work, I might have as much of a chance if I were to pull one outa my ass...

Had the phone ever had DC 23 on it before??

When I had upgraded to DC23 before I could never use the Samsung/VZW Dc23 upgrade tool again.

Thankfully there is a PDA only DC23 Rom available so you can go back to the sucky (IMHO) Samsung Rom.

As a side note you don't have to Flash beck to DC23 every time you wish to get a BETTER MoDaCo chefs Rom.

Hope this helps

:( :P

"X" i920 owner :(

Guest wicked.ludicrous
Had the phone ever had DC 23 on it before??

When I had upgraded to DC23 before I could never use the Samsung/VZW Dc23 upgrade tool again.

Thankfully there is a PDA only DC23 Rom available so you can go back to the sucky (IMHO) Samsung Rom.

As a side note you don't have to Flash beck to DC23 every time you wish to get a BETTER MoDaCo chefs Rom.

Hope this helps

:( :P

"X" i920 owner :(

No, I've never had DC23 on the phone before. But I'm confused by what you're saying: the PDA only DC23 Rom would make me go back to the Samsung Rom? I thought DC23 was an upgrade, not a downgrade...

Guest Omega Ra
No, I've never had DC23 on the phone before. But I'm confused by what you're saying: the PDA only DC23 Rom would make me go back to the Samsung Rom? I thought DC23 was an upgrade, not a downgrade...

he is talking about after flashing to a custom ROM. After flashing you can use the stock dc23 pda portion to go back to the stock rom if you wanted.

Guest wicked.ludicrous

Oh

Well anways, so does using the PDA only DC23 update work just as fine? Any differences? Would just the PDA update not update the CSC or Phone rom sections?

Guest amdzero
Oh

Well anways, so does using the PDA only DC23 update work just as fine? Any differences? Would just the PDA update not update the CSC or Phone rom sections?

the pda, update would not update the csc nor phone, but then again you won't need to as it will still be DC23 CSC and Phone.

What I think he is trying to say is that you don't have to use the official samsung .exe loader to go back to dc23 PDA. Why is this important? because when you load up a custom rom, you have to install an unsigned SAMSUNG MIT driver. When you do this, you will not be able to use the official samsung rom update, without removing this driver, and going back to the MS samsung mit "signed" driver.

It would appear that the USB ports remember their own driver, so in theory you could use one port to flash custom roms, and another to flash offical roms.

confused yet?

Guest wicked.ludicrous

Well I finally got a copy of the file that's working, so that's that.

I'll probably be looking at some custom roms and how-to's for a while before I come back asking some more questions... haha

EDIT

Quick Question: Does upgrading delete contacts as well? I'm trying to figure it whether or not it does. If it deletes contacts, how do I back them up? I can't find the file(s) for contacts in my phone. Or if it's easier, I might just use SPB Backup.

Edited by wicked.ludicrous

Guest LordSith
Well I finally got a copy of the file that's working, so that's that.

I'll probably be looking at some custom roms and how-to's for a while before I come back asking some more questions... haha

EDIT

Quick Question: Does upgrading delete contacts as well? I'm trying to figure it whether or not it does. If it deletes contacts, how do I back them up? I can't find the file(s) for contacts in my phone. Or if it's easier, I might just use SPB Backup.

Flashing any ROM deletes everything off the "C" drive or System Drive. Pictures, Documents, Contacts, Calander, etc...

Most people here (that I've noticed) use Microsoft's MyPhone (free service) and it will backup all your contacts, calander events, pictures, documents, music, videos, etc...

I use it, and it works flawless. I even have it back up all my text messages (all but Pic/Video messages get backed up), and then it will re-download all my text messages as well. Nice little feature. :-)

Guest amdzero
Flashing any ROM deletes everything off the "C" drive or System Drive. Pictures, Documents, Contacts, Calander, etc...

Most people here (that I've noticed) use Microsoft's MyPhone (free service) and it will backup all your contacts, calander events, pictures, documents, music, videos, etc...

I use it, and it works flawless. I even have it back up all my text messages (all but Pic/Video messages get backed up), and then it will re-download all my text messages as well. Nice little feature. :-)

I really with it would remember my email settings. Flashing daily (sometimes multidaily (its a word trust me)) sux when resetting up my stoopid email.