How to check app permissions when the app isn't installed via the market?

Hello,

I was trying to find a wallpaper (Bokeh Rainbow) on the market, after seeing it in a youtube video. It's a free wallpaper and so I didn't see any harm in googling for the .apk.

I installed this after approving 3rd party apps and realised I didn't know which permissions it had and can't seem to find out how, Linda File Manager just tries to direct me to the market but it's unresolved there. I tried Titanium but there doesn't seem to be any way of checking there either. Any ideas? After the big scandal about data mining this week (regarding wallpapers no less) I think it's best if I uninstall until I can see what it's doing. In the mean time, does anyone know a way to check permissions of apps without going through the market?

Thanks.

Guest paaland
Hello,

I was trying to find a wallpaper (Bokeh Rainbow) on the market, after seeing it in a youtube video. It's a free wallpaper and so I didn't see any harm in googling for the .apk.

I installed this after approving 3rd party apps and realised I didn't know which permissions it had and can't seem to find out how, Linda File Manager just tries to direct me to the market but it's unresolved there. I tried Titanium but there doesn't seem to be any way of checking there either. Any ideas? After the big scandal about data mining this week (regarding wallpapers no less) I think it's best if I uninstall until I can see what it's doing. In the mean time, does anyone know a way to check permissions of apps without going through the market?

Thanks.

You will always get a list of permissions required when you try to install an apk, wether it's from market or not. If you have already installed it go to settings / applications and select the application to get a list of permissions and an option to clear data or uninstall the app. If you did not get a screen about permissions upon installation it does not require any special permissions at all.