Help....! Desire problem

Guest jonnibravo

Guest jonnibravo

I have rooted my phone using the macardo method here.

After this I have software 1.15.405.4 and I am trying to gt to the latest froyo build update.

The phone is asking me to update to 1.21.405.2 but when I try this the update fails and I get a red question mark before it reboots. Can anyone help me get to froyo, I'm not too bothered about root probably need it though because of warranty concerns.

Guest Asselberghs

After this I have software 1.15.405.4 and I am trying to gt to the latest froyo build update.

The phone is asking me to update to 1.21.405.2 but when I try this the update fails and I get a red question mark before it reboots. Can anyone help me get to froyo, I'm not too bothered about root probably need it though because of warranty concerns.

You cannot update official updates from HTC on rooted phones, you should have unrooted or just kept to MoDaCo rom releases.

I have not ended in this situation before so I don´t know if this can be rescued.

My suggestion is try to see if you can get access to the "boot menu" reboot to recovery, and if you have clockwork recovery mod, try to restore a Nandroid backup if you have one.

Guest hazi1964

It's because you are rooted that you can't do the update. Somewhere on the boards there is a pre rooted update for 1.21, I used it and it worked great, first time.

Without searching, I don't know exactly where it is on the boards but it IS there.

Alison

Guest jonnibravo
You cannot update official updates from HTC on rooted phones, you should have unrooted or just kept to MoDaCo rom releases.

I have not ended in this situation before so I don´t know if this can be rescued.

My suggestion is try to see if you can get access to the "boot menu" reboot to recovery, and if you have clockwork recovery mod, try to restore a Nandroid backup if you have one.

I'm not sure I understand why I need to recover anything, I am still on rooted 1.15 and I dont need to recover anything I just want to get too froyo 2.2 from here, rooted or unrooted whichever is easier

Guest Asselberghs
I'm not sure I understand why I need to recover anything, I am still on rooted 1.15 and I dont need to recover anything I just want to get too froyo 2.2 from here, rooted or unrooted whichever is easier

Oh I thought you bricked the phone doing an OTA official update.

If it´s working as is you got two options.

Search MoDaCo for Unroot method, unroot it and receive OTA update (if you are on an Unlocked phone, carrier locked phones will receive it later)

Option two wait for Paul to create a Costum MoDaCo rom based on the Official Froyo update, he is working on it I believe and just flash that one onto your device this means ofc you´ll get to keep your root access:)

Edited by Asselberghs

Guest jonnibravo
Oh I thought you bricked the phone doing an OTA official update.

If it´s working as is you got two options.

Search MoDaCo for Unroot method, unroot it and receive OTA update (if you are on an Unlocked phone, carrier locked phones will receive it later)

Option two wait for Paul to create a Costum MoDaCo rom based on the Official Froyo update, he is working on it I believe and just flash that one onto your device this means ofc you´ll get to keep your root access:)

I've debranded my phone from t mobile in order to get the froyo update, so if I flash th wwe stock firmware I'm worried it will sim lock the phone this is why I am hoping someone will be able to tell me whether it will be ok to do flash debranded stock firmware so I can simply update to froyo

Edited by jonnibravo

Guest Asselberghs
I've debranded my phone from t mobile in order to get the froyo update, so if I flash th wwe stock firmware I'm worried it will sim lock the phone this is why I am hoping someone will be able to tell me whether it will be ok to do flash debranded stock firmware so I can simply update to froyo

Hmm sorry dude don´t know I haven´t run into that problem before.

Guest Abnormal1

Once you have rooted you have to install an up to date rom onto the phone.

There are several 2.2 ROMs on this forum allready.

Here's three I found in like 2 seconds

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...ed-02-aug-2010/

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1363492

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...upport-802-11n/

Flash these using either fake flash or Rom Manager which is on the Market (Its a easier way to get to the recovery screen)

Edited by Abnormal1

Guest jonnibravo
Once you have rooted you have to install an up to date rom onto the phone.

There are several 2.2 ROMs on this forum allready.

Here's three I found in like 2 seconds

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...ed-02-aug-2010/

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1363492

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...upport-802-11n/

Flash these using either fake flash or Rom Manager which is on the Market (Its a easier way to get to the recovery screen)

These all require the new radio but i cannot figure out how to flash the radio as in the instructions it says I should run rcovery-windows.bat from r5 rootkit but I used the r6 rootkit and I cannot find a file like that there should I flash using the r5 recovery-windows.bat

Guest Asselberghs
These all require the new radio but i cannot figure out how to flash the radio as in the instructions it says I should run rcovery-windows.bat from r5 rootkit but I used the r6 rootkit and I cannot find a file like that there should I flash using the r5 recovery-windows.bat

From Cyanogen Mod Wiki:

Flashing Radio:

Download the latest version of the radio (5.09.00.08).

Place the radio update.zip file on the root of your SD card.

Boot into the ClockworkMod Recovery.

Boot into the bootloader mode.

Select Recovery; volume keys will allow you to navigate up & down & the power key will allow you to select an option.

Once you enter ClockworkMod Recovery, use the side volume buttons to move around, and the trackball button to select.

Select Install zip from sdcard.

Select Choose zip from sdcard.

Select the radio update.zip.

Once the installation has finished, select Reboot system now. Now the HTC Desire's Baseband version should now be 5.09.00.08.

Guest jonnibravo
From Cyanogen Mod Wiki:

Flashing Radio:

Download the latest version of the radio (5.09.00.08).

Place the radio update.zip file on the root of your SD card.

Boot into the ClockworkMod Recovery.

Boot into the bootloader mode.

Select Recovery; volume keys will allow you to navigate up & down & the power key will allow you to select an option.

Once you enter ClockworkMod Recovery, use the side volume buttons to move around, and the trackball button to select.

Select Install zip from sdcard.

Select Choose zip from sdcard.

Select the radio update.zip.

Once the installation has finished, select Reboot system now. Now the HTC Desire's Baseband version should now be 5.09.00.08.

Thank you going to try that now and let you know what happens, its just so much jumping through hoops g1 was never this much trouble

Guest jonnibravo
Thank you going to try that now and let you know what happens, its just so much jumping through hoops g1 was never this much trouble

got into android system recovery not clockworkmod recovery I have installed rom manager but when I select reboot to recovery it goes straight to rd triangle not to bootloader

Guest Asselberghs
got into android system recovery not clockworkmod recovery I have installed rom manager but when I select reboot to recovery it goes straight to rd triangle not to bootloader

IIRC rom manager should let you install clockwork mod recovery you should be able to see your current version and be able to upgrade if needed from rom manager.

When the version correspond to the newest version, just close rom manger.

Shut down your phone, turn it on again, holding down power and volume down buttom.

Now you should be in the default htc "boot menu" (I don´t know it exact name that just what I call it)

the place where you can see your HBoot version and that stuff.

the volume buttons are up and down navigation.

Select Recovery and hit the power button to select.

That should take you into Clockwork recovery mod.

Guest jonnibravo
IIRC rom manager should let you install clockwork mod recovery you should be able to see your current version and be able to upgrade if needed from rom manager.

When the version correspond to the newest version, just close rom manger.

Shut down your phone, turn it on again, holding down power and volume down buttom.

Now you should be in the default htc "boot menu" (I don´t know it exact name that just what I call it)

the place where you can see your HBoot version and that stuff.

the volume buttons are up and down navigation.

Select Recovery and hit the power button to select.

That should take you into Clockwork recovery mod.

Followed that but it just takes me into the android default recovery tried to select apply zip and it aborts installation

I flashed th clockworkmod and got into the recovery but everytim I try to enter recovery it say e: cant open /cache/recovery/command

Guest jonnibravo
Followed that but it just takes me into the android default recovery tried to select apply zip and it aborts installation

I flashed the clockworkmod recovry and got into the recovery but everytime I try to goto recovery since then it says e: cant open /cache/recovery/command to be honst it was saying that before I even installed rom manager and clockwork

Guest jonnibravo

I flashed the clockworkmod recovry and got into the recovery but everytime I try to goto recovery since then it says e: cant open /cache/recovery/command to be honst it was saying that before I even installed rom manager and clockwork

Guest Asselberghs

I flashed th clockworkmod and got into the recovery but everytim I try to enter recovery it say e: cant open /cache/recovery/command

Sorry m8:(

I don´t know what went wrong, worked flawlessly for me. I am not trying to abandon you but I don´t know what to do sadly:(

Guest Abnormal1

I have to admit there is no clear information on Rom Manager on this forum. Would be nice if there was a little guide the same as there is for Fast Flash.

In Rom Manager just select Flash ClockworkMod Recovery then once thats finished you choose Reboot into Recovery. Then only ever choose Flash Clockwork if the 2 version numbers do not match.

Also a small note that I found was not clear, dont rename the zips to update.zip since you can flash any filename.zip by using the "install zip from sdcard option".

Guest Abnormal1

If in Rom Manager under Flash Clockwork there is two lines with version numbers then you should just need to select reboot into recovery and then don't touch any buttons on the phone until its rebooted into clockworkMod.

I get that error message if I use the FakeFlash method. But I think I press back(Not 100% on this) to clear it and repeat the button press again until it works.

Edit: Just tried this method and I get that error as soon as I press up vol and power.

The way to do it is as follows:

Press and hold vol up.

then press power once.

Release power.

then press vol up once.

Menu comes up.

Edited by Abnormal1

Guest Asselberghs

IIRC I already had Clockworkmod on my phone from the rooting with unrevoked 3.

I have NO idear what happens if you try to root a rooted device, so I don´t know if you can do it.

I used it because it was/is an "auto rooting" if the device fits, but the Desire fits the unrevoked method, maybe this will grant you Clockwork mod recovery console and you can proceed.

But I might want some sort of confirm that rooting a rooted device wont make it go haywire. I don´t know.

Guest jonnibravo

Thanks guys I am now in clockwork recovery I didnt have any numbers under flash like you said, just needed to install via rom manager.

Can I flash my radio from here now I'm a bit apprehensive aftr bricking my g1 flashing radio before spl hope this is not the same

thanks again specially asselburgs for your patients and helping me get this far

Edited by jonnibravo

Guest Asselberghs
Thanks guys I am now in clockwork recovery I didnt have any numbers under flash like you said, just needed to install via rom manager.

Can I flash my radio from here now I'm a bit apprehensive aftr bricking my g1 flashing radio before spl hope this is not the same

thanks again specially asselburgs for your patients and helping me get this far

You should be able to yes:) just follow the steps I posted from the Cyanogen mod wiki

No problem m8:) I am happy I am able to help you.

Edited by Asselberghs

Guest GuyAdams

In the end I flashed a stock RUU from shippedroms and let the OTA come through.

If you have problems flashing the stock ROM see my other update thread.

Guest jonnibravo
In the end I flashed a stock RUU from shippedroms and let the OTA come through.

If you have problems flashing the stock ROM see my other update thread.

so far so good i am going to try flashing the froyo rooted first....here goes

Doing backup through nandroid

Updating to froyo

Edited by jonnibravo