HTC Desire or Samsung i9000?

Guest Amir Kal

Guest Amir Kal

Hi,

Currently I'm using iPhone 3GS, switching to Android, nowadays.

I'm not sure whether my first Android would be Desire or Samsung i9000.

What do you think?

I heard that Samsung has very bad reputation for not updating their devices when new OS version arrives (I know there is update to FroYo - will this be a change of policy??)

Which is better for daily heavy usage?

Which feels faster and slicker?

Thanks for your opinion.

Amir.

Guest cypherpunk

I don't know anything about the Samsung there but I own an HTC Desire and I can tell you that it's a pretty slick device, the UI enhancements from HTC add to the flashiness of it.

HTC has kind of ok support for the OS upgrades, we're seeing Froyo becoming available nowish.

The optical trackpad on the Desire is finicky in my mind, I don't like it, it seems too sensitive sometimes and not to register other times, it's pretty hard to use quickly.

However, there is one really big disadvantage with the HTC Desire, it's locked down pretty tight and even when it's rooted, there are things you can't do that Nexus One users can do just fine. A fair few work arounds for bugs or limitations won't work on the HTC Desire because it's not fully rooted.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have just bought a Nexus One.

Guest Amir Kal
I don't know anything about the Samsung there but I own an HTC Desire and I can tell you that it's a pretty slick device, the UI enhancements from HTC add to the flashiness of it.

HTC has kind of ok support for the OS upgrades, we're seeing Froyo becoming available nowish.

The optical trackpad on the Desire is finicky in my mind, I don't like it, it seems too sensitive sometimes and not to register other times, it's pretty hard to use quickly.

However, there is one really big disadvantage with the HTC Desire, it's locked down pretty tight and even when it's rooted, there are things you can't do that Nexus One users can do just fine. A fair few work arounds for bugs or limitations won't work on the HTC Desire because it's not fully rooted.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have just bought a Nexus One.

Thanks for the info.

I've decided to order the Samsung, seems to be the best screen in the hood, and the best memory. Days will tell...

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the info.

I've decided to order the Samsung, seems to be the best screen in the hood, and the best memory. Days will tell...

And any regrets?

I don't ;)

i just miss the flash option for foto and video :huh:

Guest PaulWilks

HTC Desire. It's a personal thing though. I have had Samsung phones in the past and just didn't like them. If I were you, I'd walk into a shop and ask to play around with both of them- see which one feels better to you.