Titanium Backup

Guest PaulOBrien

titaniumbackup1.pngtitaniumbackup2.png

Welcome to 'Paul's App of the Day', where I pick one of my favourite apps as featured app of the day! Today's app is...

Titanium Backup

What they say

Needs Root
☆For Android 1.5 to 2.2
☆Problem? See website, email me
☆App+keyfile = Donate version
☆NET access is to d/l busybox

The ONLY tool that can backup, restore, freeze your apps + data + Market links! Even protected apps! Batch & scheduled backups! 0-click backup, uninstall & even restore (donate vers.)

What we say

There's only one thing you need to know - this is the ONLY app that - with root access - can backup and restore your applications INCLUDING the links to the Market. It has a plethora of options including scripted / timed backups. A real must have.

Permissions

INTERNET / READ_PHONE_STATE / RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED / VIBRATE / WAKE_LOCK / WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE

Download

Unfortunately Titanium Mobile doesn't seem to be listed on AppBrain. You can view it at Cyrket.

Direct Market Link (for on device)

View on Android Market

QRcode

To use, install 'Barcode Scanner' from the Android Market.

wheresmydroid.qrcode.png

Price

FREE (basic) / $5.99 (donate version - highly recommended) / FREE (full donate version for MoDaCo Plus members)

Market star rating at time of writing

4.79 (8081 ratings)

Version at time of writing

Similar / Alternative apps

I don't know of any other applications that can back up your apps INCLUDING the Market links. :)

Suggested improvements for the next version

Now and again after restoring my Market links aren't restored properly and I have to restore again. It would be cool to be able to backup apps into an archive and upload to Dropbox or similar. Offsite backup. :D

Have your say

Fan of Titanium Backup? Found something better? Just wanna share your experiences? Post below! :D

Guest nezorflame

Yes, this app is really a "must have" for all root users)

It can also backup SMS, HTC Sense options (including workspace with widgets placement) and many other system options, not only apps)

P.S. sorry for my bad English, I'm still learning)

Guest Asselberghs

I´ve bought it, although it´s an unconventional way of doing paid apps in Android market, and why it´s done this way is explained by Joël in the description.

No prob´s at all, fast and friendly response:) Good app:) requires rooted phone though, but that´s explained in the description.

Edited by Asselberghs

Guest hihihehe

MyBackup Pro does backup everything(data+apk) and market links too

EDIT: but of course you need rooted phone

Edited by hihihehe

Yes, this app is really a "must have" for all root users)

It can also backup SMS, HTC Sense options (including workspace with widgets placement) and many other system options, not only apps)

P.S. sorry for my bad English, I'm still learning)

Yeah, probably should have mentioned that. :)

P

Guest bhu73
Does it work actually?

I heard good reviews of it, so I downloaded it, and donated the required sum of money to get a license key.

I haven´t heard anything after 9 days, is it a ripoff?

I have no problem supporting apps through payment, but I find it unsettling that it goes through donations rather than a fixed and instant price on the market.

I hope to hear from the developer soon and get the supposed unlock key file.

I trusted the donation stuff due to good reviews on the Market.

I haven´t used it yet, I think I am going to do a backup after I´ve got stuff up and running on the MoDaCo rom from the official HTC Android 2.2 Froyo rom.

Even though I have found I could just as well use Nandroid which I´ve also got through clockwork mod recovery.

(I have to say I bought Titanium Backup before I knew of Nandroid)

I am a little bit concerned.

Nope, I got my key immediately. Mail Joel or go to legendroid.com and ask there.

My only criticism is based on my own rather anal nature, which is that I would like better documentation.

What "exactly" is backed up. what is NOT backed up. that sort of thing.

Guest goatee

This is a great app. I've got the donate version, but my only gripe is that you can do so much with it, that the UI takes a little bit to get used to.

Guest Asselberghs

The key is not an exe file is it?

If so that might be a problem since IIRC gmail, which is my default mail client denies any e-mail with an exe file anywhere within it as an extreme precaution against viruses.

update: nope it´s not an exe file it´s a text file to be placed on the SD card and then recognized by the app which then is licensed with name and all.:) I´ve never seen it done this way but work it does:) if Joël would be willing to "tutorial" the method in which this is done I think a couple of devs could find it useful should they be out of the paid apps enabled countries. I am not a dev myself though. Soo no need to learn it here xD. Just a happy Android user.

Edited by Asselberghs

Guest camdenhandbrake

Just noticed that the paid version includes:

Zero-click background batch restore

I was going to donate anyway, given what an essential app this is and the amount of use I've got out of it, but seeing that my one gripe is resolved in the paid version clinches it. Wish I'd spotted this sooner.

Guest Rudolfje
The key is not an exe file is it?

If so that might be a problem since IIRC gmail, which is my default mail client denies any e-mail with an exe file anywhere within it as an extreme precaution against viruses.

It's a .txt

Love this app, the feature to freeze apps (and remove 'm from the app drawer) is nice.

It's quite difficult with all the options, I have a hard time selecting the things I need backed up.

Guest Kilack

yeah great app, I donated a long time ago to get this.

I am curious why some developers avoid the buying system in the market and choose to have some donation system?

Is this just purely because they are trying to avoid piracy? or google taking a cut? (they could just increase their prices to cover that)

co-pilot did it too, it makes it a bit of a pain in the ass for end user when you have tons of apps that you have to hunt around for special licenses etc, i hope its not going to become widespread...

Guest bidboy

Been using the 'Donate' version (3.3.5) but cannot get it to restore all my apps automatically. Starts to restore & then locks up. Had to restore each app individually. Anyone else having this problem ?.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bob Benedetti

How do I get the free donate version? I signed up for Modaco plus but I can't figure out how to upgrade the free version to donate

TIA

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest kerryokeefe

You will see my user name appearing all over the forums. I am new to Android. I realise the need to back up. I used Titanium to rid myself of some of the orange crud on phone. I have not backed up anything yet. My problem is I need user guides to all these apps. Clearly, I need to back up, how do I do it, does it take a lot of memory? This website and these forums have been invaluable to me since getting my Orange San Francisco. I have not yet been brave enough to install custom rom, but will wen more confident. I also need to install a larger capacity SD card and split it up - more for later. I have launcher pro, but unsure how to get the best out of it. Thanks to all for the help and advice.