A week or so with the Optimus

Guest max-greece

Guest max-greece

Just joined this forum having got my first ever Android phone - the LG Optimus. I got it with a new contract from Vodafone here in Greece so it cost a princely 43 euros. Thus far - I am amazed - but there was quite a fight to get things working....

As for the phone itself its been great from the getgo. I should explain that my previous phone was a Qtek S100 windows mobile phone that I had lived with for 5 years or so. Remarkable for its day but obviously hardly upto scratch in today's networked world.

Anyway - right now I am sitting on the balcony of my holiday home on a remote Greek Island (Trikeri Island if you are interested) and connected to the net via 3G via my LG. This may not seem impressive to you guys but this is akin to saying I am writing from the planet Venus. The LG is the first phone I have found that gets 3G here - it appears to suck signal out of the ether where other phones cannot (Apple's for example).

Now whilst I got connected instantly on the phone - getting the computer to connect via the phone has been a nightmare. I tried the LG Software to connect to the phone as a modem to the vodafone network - it would get to dialing the strange code vodafone provides and then nothing. I got Vodafone to send me the connection parameters and setup a dial-up connection manually - same result. I tried PDAnet and their generic android driver doesn't work with the Optimus and got the same result with Easytether.

All of the above has been over a 4 day period of phonecalls to LG support and Vodafone customer support. Eventually both of them and I were resigned to giving up.

What no-one appeared to know and I stumbled upon by lucky happen-stance is that buried within the LG install directory (C:\GT540 on my computer) in the LG_Smartphone sub-directory is an install script called "LGAndroidDriver_WHQL_ML_Ver_1.0_All_Win7". I guessed that this might be the LG equivalent of the generic driver for PDAnet and Easytether. It is.

I installed that and re-connected the phone to the computer in USB debug mode - hey presto. As I had uninstalled the PDAnet software but not the Easytether I tried that. It works - obviously.

Just thought I'd share that piece of info - might save someone the hunt I had. As must be apparent I am not very technical in comparison to most of the posters on this forum so I expect this is the only solution I will be able to contribute. I do not even understand what you all mean by rooting your phone but I am guessing it is not what an Australian means by rooting something.

Cheers all - sorry for the long rambling post..

Max

Guest Batkoto
Just joined this forum having got my first ever Android phone - the LG Optimus. I got it with a new contract from Vodafone here in Greece so it cost a princely 43 euros. Thus far - I am amazed - but there was quite a fight to get things working....

As for the phone itself its been great from the getgo. I should explain that my previous phone was a Qtek S100 windows mobile phone that I had lived with for 5 years or so. Remarkable for its day but obviously hardly upto scratch in today's networked world.

Anyway - right now I am sitting on the balcony of my holiday home on a remote Greek Island (Trikeri Island if you are interested) and connected to the net via 3G via my LG. This may not seem impressive to you guys but this is akin to saying I am writing from the planet Venus. The LG is the first phone I have found that gets 3G here - it appears to suck signal out of the ether where other phones cannot (Apple's for example).

Now whilst I got connected instantly on the phone - getting the computer to connect via the phone has been a nightmare. I tried the LG Software to connect to the phone as a modem to the vodafone network - it would get to dialing the strange code vodafone provides and then nothing. I got Vodafone to send me the connection parameters and setup a dial-up connection manually - same result. I tried PDAnet and their generic android driver doesn't work with the Optimus and got the same result with Easytether.

All of the above has been over a 4 day period of phonecalls to LG support and Vodafone customer support. Eventually both of them and I were resigned to giving up.

What no-one appeared to know and I stumbled upon by lucky happen-stance is that buried within the LG install directory (C:\GT540 on my computer) in the LG_Smartphone sub-directory is an install script called "LGAndroidDriver_WHQL_ML_Ver_1.0_All_Win7". I guessed that this might be the LG equivalent of the generic driver for PDAnet and Easytether. It is.

I installed that and re-connected the phone to the computer in USB debug mode - hey presto. As I had uninstalled the PDAnet software but not the Easytether I tried that. It works - obviously.

Just thought I'd share that piece of info - might save someone the hunt I had. As must be apparent I am not very technical in comparison to most of the posters on this forum so I expect this is the only solution I will be able to contribute. I do not even understand what you all mean by rooting your phone but I am guessing it is not what an Australian means by rooting something.

Cheers all - sorry for the long rambling post..

Max

Lol mate,

no, its not the Ozzie slang for rooting.

Basically rooting is allowing yourself and some apps access to the root of your device (aka system)

Many other ppl will have different way to describe it, but this is maybe the easiest