Wyse PocketCloud

Guest PaulOBrien

pocketcloud1.pngpocketcloud2.png

Welcome to 'Paul's App of the Day', where I pick one of my favourite apps as featured app of the day! Today's app is...

Wyse PocketCloud

What they say

Wyse PocketCloud™ enables complete access to your Windows PC, virtual machine or Remote Desktop Services from your mobile device.

Features:

-Intuitive User Interface
-High-accuracy Touch Pointer
-Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP 7)
-VMware View Support (Pending Certification)
-Enterprise Security
-VNC Protocol (Tech Preview)

What we say

This is a great application for remotely accessing your PC while you are out and about either by RDP (Windows) or VNC and during the Beta period, it's free to use too! You can read a lot more information about the application on the Wyse Product Page, but i've used it on both WiFi and 3G and it works great! You can also download a companion application for Windows from the product page to assist with popping up the virtual keyboard automatically when text input is required.

Permissions

ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE / INTERNET / READ_PHONE_STATE

Download

View PocketCloud at AppBrain

Direct Market Link (for on device)

View on Android Market

QRcode

To use, install 'Barcode Scanner' from the Android Market.

pocketcloud.qrcode.png

Price

FREE (during Beta)

Market star rating at time of writing

4.57 (703 ratings)

Version at time of writing

Similar / Alternative apps

Also check out LogMeIn Ignition and PhoneMyPC, the other heavyweights in this field. Ignition is personal favourite of mine, albeit I believe it's overpriced amongst it's peers.

Suggested improvements for the next version

When the full release happens, PRICE IT SENSIBLY (a lot lower than LogMeIn Ignition). :)

Have your say

Fan of PocketCloud? Found something better? Just wanna share your experiences? Post below! :D

Guest Matchstick

The Touch Pointer in PocketCloud is brilliant.

While Ignition is easier to set up on PCs on the grounds that there's no need to poke holes in firewalls or create tunnels to get it working, it's far too expensive and the Touch Pointer makes controlling PocketCloud much more precise than with Ignition's screen dragging method.

Guest tigris666

I can't get this to work via RDP. After disabling firewall etc it finally connects, but it just shows a black screen with WYSE in the top left corner then exits to the connection screen instantly.

Guess i'll have to try VNC instead.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Reason it wasn't working is that I have vista home premium, which apparently supports remote assistance only, which is technically different to remote desktop. Of course they don't make this obvious in the control panel, it just says "allow remote connections to control this computer". Duh.

Edited by tigris666