How to Remove/Replace Startup/Shutdown sounds

Guest wes58

Guest wes58

I don't know if anyone else is annoyed by the startup and shutdown sounds. For me, they are much too loud, and the best for me is not to have them at all.

So, to remove those two sounds I used silent .wav and .ogg files.

Using RootExplorer I copied:

PowerOn.wav to system/etc

Shutdown.ogg to system/media/audio/ui.

If you still like having some sounds during startup/shutdown, you could make your own files (.wav for startup and .ogg for shutdown) and copy them to the folders as above.

I have attached the silent files that I use if anybody wants to use them.

SilentSounds.rar

Edited by wes58

I don't know if anyone else is annoyed by the startup and shutdown sounds. For me, they are much too loud, and the best for me is not to have them at all.

PowerOn.wav to System/etc

Shutdown.ogg to System/Media/Audio/Ui.

If you still like having some sounds during startup/shutdown, you could make your own files (.wav for startup and .ogg for shutdown) and copy them to the folders as above.

I just renamed the sound files with .old at the end, and nothing plays. Does using the silent files speed things up?

Guest kaja69

Hi, just got my Galaxy S yesterday, will RootExplorer - and this trick to get rid of the most enoying startup sound - work with the standard firmware the phone comes with too? In About phone it says "2.1-update1" baseband version "I9000XXJF5". Thanks for helping a newbe :)

Guest wes58
Hi, just got my Galaxy S yesterday, will RootExplorer - and this trick to get rid of the most enoying startup sound - work with the standard firmware the phone comes with too? In About phone it says "2.1-update1" baseband version "I9000XXJF5". Thanks for helping a newbe :)

It will work but first you have to root your phone. Check this post for how to do it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=728754

Guest Gary Crutcher

PowerOn.wav to System/etc

Shutdown.ogg to System/Media/Audio/Ui.

Hi Wes,

Thanks for the tip.

You may want to change the file locations to lower case as android is case sensitive unlike Windows Mobile.

Guest wes58
Hi Wes,

Thanks for the tip.

You may want to change the file locations to lower case as android is case sensitive unlike Windows Mobile.

Done.

Although if you are using Root Explorer it doesn't matter, because you are browsing like in file manager. If you are using adb - yes it is important.

Guest Gary Crutcher
Done.

Although if you are using Root Explorer it doesn't matter, because you are browsing like in file manager. If you are using adb - yes it is important.

My comment was mostly for the noobs as I have been reading a lot on Modaco and XDA-Developers and

a lot of noobs do not know about linux being case sensitive. On a side note, I have been working with linux for many

years and hope to make some custom android kernels for the Galaxy S. :)

Edited by Gary Crutcher

Guest wes58
wes58, thanks! I read this (http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Why_Root) about why rooting the phone. I still have a question: will it still be Samsung released firmwares that I shall install or can I also go standard Android 2.2 (if that exist at all)?

I am not sure what you mean. I have installed update.zip to root the phone on three different firmwares that I had: original JF4, then upgraded through Kies to JG4 and the last one I tried was JM5 and rooting with update.zip worked fine. If you want to try on Android 2.2, there are only unofficial firmwares released so far - I haven't tried them.

Guest kaja69

I mean, it will still be releases from Samsung - officiel and unofficiel - that I shall install, i.e. there is not a plain/standard/none-branded Android firmware available directly from Google. Correct?

Is there a mailing list or something where I can follow the release of officiel and unofficiel firmwares?

Guest Gary Crutcher
I mean, it will still be releases from Samsung - officiel and unofficiel - that I shall install, i.e. there is not a plain/standard/none-branded Android firmware available directly from Google. Correct?

Is there a mailing list or something where I can follow the release of officiel and unofficiel firmwares?

You can follow the release here:

Samsung Galaxy S Firmwares

Guest AndyCr15

Actually, this opens up more customization. Who knows a lady with a particularly sexy voice? Please record something geeky like 'Galaxy S coming on line. Stand by.' and 'Galaxy S beginning shut down sequence.' or something like that.... :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd throw this out there to people who like me weren't too keen on rooting their new Samsung only to disable the startup/shutdown sound.

If you switch the phone to silent mode just before you power down it won't make any sounds. This includes when it starts back up again.

cheers

Guest Quiksilver78

Not sure if it affects anything else, but all I did was put "System Sounds" to 0 via AudioManager (I think you can do this also straight from the 'Sounds' option in Settings)

Notifications and Ringer Tone are separate entries so those still play.

• 5 months later...
Not sure if it affects anything else, but all I did was put "System Sounds" to 0 via AudioManager (I think you can do this also straight from the 'Sounds' option in Settings)

Notifications and Ringer Tone are separate entries so those still play.

My Samsung Vibrant Galaxy (T-Mobile, USA) (OS 2.2 just recently installed) does not have a System Sounds or AudioManager in Sounds.

In Settings > Sound > Volume, I set the System Volume slider to 0 (all the way to the left) and that silenced the switch off sounds. But when I started the phone again, the annoying Samsung jingle was loud and even more annoying.

I do not want to root my machine as I am not an experienced user. Does anyone have another solution for this particular Android? Thanks.

Nice work!

Has anyone had any luck removing the "battery charged" and "power connected" beeps and vibrates?

They seem like completely pointless notifications, designed purely to wake me (and/or the girlfriend) up when charging overnight.

I may experiment with tasker (from the market) scheduling to see if I can cut out sound and vibration overnight, but it's rather complex, and I'd rather just disable the entire notification if possible. I can't think of any situation when I would want to be notified that I just plugged it in or that it's full.

• 1 month later...
Guest durwoodg
My Samsung Vibrant Galaxy (T-Mobile, USA) (OS 2.2 just recently installed) does not have a System Sounds or AudioManager in Sounds.

In Settings > Sound > Volume, I set the System Volume slider to 0 (all the way to the left) and that silenced the switch off sounds. But when I started the phone again, the annoying Samsung jingle was loud and even more annoying.

I do not want to root my machine as I am not an experienced user. Does anyone have another solution for this particular Android? Thanks.

Setting the system volume slider to 0 DID work for my Samsung Galaxy S -- both for startup and shutdown sounds.

• 4 months later...
Guest Dark Penguin

I tried to do this but couldn't unpack the PowerOn.wav file. The unpacking seemed to work, and what's more the file can be played in WMP directly from the .RAR file. But whatever I did I could not get an unpacked copy of the .wav file on my hard drive.

All of this I was attempting to do on my PC, the idea being that I would mail the unpacked files to myself and download them on my mobile that way. I wasn't sure I could open a .RAR file on my phone.

Anyway, there is a "SilentBoot" app that you can download from the Market. Downloading this and following the instructions will solve the problem of the annoyingly loud startup ditty.

I still need find a silent .wav file, though, to silence some contacts' ringtones.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PeaceOfMind313

I have a bunch of custum sounds that I have replaced using root explorer.. But what I cant figure out is the Keypress buttons.. theres a few different ones which Ive replaced but havent heard them be used anywhere in the phone..I thought they would replace the sound of the Key press when texting...But its still that same dumb bleep.. Ive gone through tons of folders in the system looking for .ogg files and waves and listening to them.. And havent found the one that sounds like the text sound..Does anyone out there know where its located in the system.. O

Ooh.Im running 2.3.4

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest ykk_five

hi,

i just found this post and wanna share some more files. they r all slient, in several formats, and the file sizes are very small (eg 44 bytes for the wav file)

http://ykkfive.blogspot.com/2011/02/some-of-my-works-and-findings-before.html - minimized silent/muted wav/mp3/mp4/aac files

• 3 weeks later...
Guest zengrasshoppa

i have tried replacing the files with the ones you posted using root manager, but every time i delete or overwrite the file, back out of the folder, then go right back in, the original file is still there. have also tried to remove other audio files within the alarm, ringtones & notifications folders as well (system/media/audio) but with no luck. iv tried it in "r/w mount" as well as "r/o mount" neither have worked. any suggestions ? am i missing something ?? i want to get rid of alot of the annoying default sounds installed on my sgs4g, along with the start up & shutdown sounds but they just dont seem to want to go away. anyone know what im doing wrong ?

thanks for your time

Edited by zengrasshoppa

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...