A new and simple root method..."UniversalAndroot"

Guest Edward.W

Guest crecsky

Fantastic app. 0% brick possibility, since people still manage to brick their phones even though it's easy to put a recovery on the acer. It's just an easy way to get root functionality on the stock rom (which is what I prefer to use). It also allows the ability to get the OTA updates, so whenever 2.2 comes out you wont have to reflash the stock rom to get it.

Edited by crecsky

Fantastic app. 0% brick possibility, since people still manage to brick their phones even though it's easy to put a recovery on the acer. It's just an easy way to get root functionality on the stock rom (which is what I prefer to use). It also allows the ability to get the OTA updates, so whenever 2.2 comes out you wont have to reflash the stock rom to get it.

Liquid and OTA? I don't think so. We can't flash a new radio without the PC, so there's no OTA even if you're on the official Firmware - the only thing that could happen is a notification for you to install a new version (and you don't have to install the original fw first). And I don't think you should get root if you're not able to get it via the recovery.

Guest HustlinDaily

Yup. Acer doesn't do the whole OTA thing.

And rooting through recovery seems alot safer. No idea which permissions this app has and what material it has access to. Just seems shady to me.

Guest ste-sim

Tried this on my hero G2 with firmware version 2.1-update1 and it said woot your rooted but when i hold the power and home buttons on bootup i got nothing. Am i missing somthing

Guest thedicemaster
Tried this on my hero G2 with firmware version 2.1-update1 and it said woot your rooted but when i hold the power and home buttons on bootup i got nothing. Am i missing somthing

rooting is something different from flashing a recovery.

rooting means you can use the su command in terminal emulator, which gives you full administrator rights in that terminal emulator session(apps can do this for themselves as well)

this adds nothing to the boot sequence.

what you should be looking for is a "custom recovery" for your phone, that's the piece of software that shows up when you start your phone with certain button combinations.

Guest thedicemaster

you might want to ask the question in a section for your phone, this section is for discussion of the Acer Liquid.

and yes, if you're rooted terminal emulators should do nothing more than show a symbol like # after typing su.

devices that aren't rooted will get a message like "command "su" not found" or "permission denied"

Guest ste-sim
you might want to ask the question in a section for your phone, this section is for discussion of the Acer Liquid.

Ya m8 you may be right but i come on this thread as it was on about UniversalAndroot and i'm sure it works the same way on all htc phones.

Ya m8 you may be right but i come on this thread as it was on about UniversalAndroot and i'm sure it works the same way on all htc phones.

But the *Acer* Liquid isn't a HTC device ^^

And your problem with the recovery isn't related to this root method or is it?

Guest HustlinDaily

Your phone is rooted.

You have superuser access in terminal. You can now delete stock apps and use software which require root (if you install busybox).

Also, you can flash a custom recovery image and use that to flash new roms. Find an HTC Hero section and people there can help you out.

Edited by HustlinDaily

• 2 weeks later...