Are you happy with your omnia PRO?

Guest chipoun

Guest chipoun

When I have decided to buy a communicator, I read a reviews and because all was really fine, I hqave bought a Samsung OmniaPRO B7610.

When phone came, i was so happy. Nice display, good keyboard.

After that is it just disappointment for the disappointing.

While I ignore irrelevant issues, like slow reaction, lags and so on.... There are REALLY annoying things, like autoclosing apps in 6.5, ringing delay where is NO function SOLUTION, (when somebody call me about job I really would like to answer that, but 5 rings without telephone ringing, it is a mess...)

I already try about 10 different ROMS, but not even one is good. When I am thinking about it, all positives from all ROMS together give me a potencially applicable ROM, but still with problems.

6,1 ROMS are not finger friendly, and there are a lot of lags

6,5 ROMS are globally dissaster, because multitasking is useless with autoclosing problem

And in all ROMS is ringing delay, what is bad joke in phone like that.

So I have to say, I'm not satisfied with this phone. HW is fine, but with this SW..., I was more satisfied with my old Nokia E51. What about you guys?

PS: Only one positive thing are chefs like daskalos. They are trying make shuttle from s***, but I am afraid, that is it mission imposible, but I am still hoping.

Currently I am looking forward for 6,1 ROM from dreamtheater39. I really hope, that it will figure out my problems with this phone.

Edited by chipoun

Guest me00016

Well, I have to say I was in the same frame of mind with you a couple of months ago. In no case the out-of-the-box experience was a charm (but which winmo device is?). I knew I did not buy an iphone, I liked experimenting... All good people here provided me with amazingly rich content, for testing, experimenting, and bringing the phone to where I like. It's all about customizing, and played a lot. Sometimes I came accross sw (e.g. Daskalos Hybrid ROM 2.8) that can turn your B7610 into a solid rock device in terms of stability (comparable to a closed UI device), without glitches, lag, bla bla bla... but I did not stopped there, I continued to play, to test, this device almost ask for that!

I don't disagree with you, it's just that my experiences are different from yours.

So, sticking to a relatively stable ROM, and not while checking a ROM with -let's say- the deep sleep bug:

- I never lost a call, I knew that Samsung keeps 3 rings low and then increases the volume, but in noisy situations I used vibrator in parallel...

- Multitasking in windows mobile is maybe its strongest point over competitors. Again, keep your RAM clean, and avoid autoclosing patch in some ROMs, coming to

- Autoclosing has always been an inherent winmo spec, it's how windows manage the memory, and once you cope with that, all your concern will cease. Samsung's decision to put an "autoclose app" setting was unfortunate, winmo memory management as it is it's optimal, not much eating RAM, not much battery consumption, provided that your ROM has not memory leakages (again, like Daskalos Hybrid ROM 2.8).

Ask yourself what you want, to experiment with new interfaces, try hundreds of programs, become a beta ROM tester, even develop something for this awesome device, or stick with sw that does your job flawlessly?

It seems to me that it is the last thing that you want, and believe me, there is sw that can make that.

PS - To all B7610 ROM developers, you make a really great job, and without you the b7619 would be uninteresting. However, in my opinion there is a great lot of work been done for inserting new and sometimes unimportant characteristics, and little work for developing further good old recipes. Thank God, still there is a minimum number of ROMs, that saves it. Thanks for that.

Edited by me00016

Guest jbarrick

i agree that the b7610 is much better with the help found here. But I would still be happy with out of box. My only complaint, which is probably my own problem since I own 2 phones with the same problem, I cant get the wifi to work. But I am still happy since I dont have to have it.

Guest Princeagarwal

hey frnd dont b disappointed

dreamtheater's rom dsnt hav that ringing lag

on the whole its a gud rom with zero lag

n for multitasking u may use autoclose patch ultra and everapp

hope ur probs r solved

Guest chipoun
- I never lost a call, I knew that Samsung keeps 3 rings low and then increases the volume, but in noisy situations I used vibrator in parallel...

But my phone do this:

2-5 rings nothing happen, no vibration, no sound, no wakeup

and only then there is reaction like vibration or ring

and it happend to me in all checked ROMs :-(

Guest sakisds

I am actually happy with my omnia pro. Of course, it would be better to have a galaxy s, but my omnia is ok too. Windows mobile has some drawbacks, but not something unbearable(never seen the ring problem on my omnia). Well I will stick to it for the time being(and the android port is ongoing, so it will be fine).

Guest LycanX

hey guys,

i tried to cope up with the phone too...i bought this phone for its awesome hardware without noticing one simple thing....this phone never had what i really needed from a phone.

i love PSP like gaming on a mobile...carrying PSP is a big pain....Samsung Galaxy with an awesome graphics chip provides amazing gaming experience...its a real treat to have that phone.

I have just sold my B7610 few days ago....and getting a galaxy S.

Each phone has its own advantages and disadvantages....u have to figure out what u want in the phones and can live with its negatives...

also, all phones are getting pretty outdated very quickly...having the phone for one year is a big thing these days....am talking abt geeks here like me :)

Edited by LycanX

Guest tammy89

Same here...tried ever rom possible...thanx to daskalos and other developers..

but still cant get wat i want...the applications are outdated...the development has almost stopped...d continuos lags....!!

i m thinkin of selling this phone n gettin an android...

still....its a gr88 phone for ppl ready to experiment...!!:)

Guest faroer

Love the phone despite the lag and freezing of the whole system on the official rom. apps are outdated as mentioned in this topic. Got some huge problems with it. the keyboard was once broken. The microphone is broken.

I love that there are many apps for it :D Love the keyboard and the apps that are available for it (not the pre-installed ones)

Love the customization :D

It's my first smartphone and it has some good and bad features.

Guest new2city

This is actually ONLY my 3rd Windows Mobile Phone, and the reason I stick to Windows Mobile is because of the availability of ROM cookers. Yeah, it's not the brand or how the phone performs out of the box but its potential, like you(Chipoun) mentioned, the hardware.

I have never own a Nokia(first phone was a Motorola StarTac, a used one from my brother) and then there were 2 Siemens phones(caused I worked in one of the Siemens' companies) and then a motorola(the E398, stereo speakers). After that, it was the Windows Mobile phones.

Anyway, my point is, if you want a phone that fully works out of a box, without tweaking (which 98% of the world wants), try to avoid WM phones. However, for me, I love WM phones because of the community and the cooks, yeah guys, you are great!

Guest Ignition

i was dissapointed that when this phone came out, Samsung didnt support it... most likely because they were concentrating on windows 7 phones... this phone had everything and i couldnt believe it was abandoned as soon as it was released.. not even released at all in many many countries..

personally i think its a great phone.. but what i hate the most.. is how slow the Samsung SMS reader is.. OMG... how on earth can you release something like this that works soooo bad.. its a disgrace...

luckily i can turn off the samsung interface and use the default windows one.. wow... that is heaps faster.....

but i think the big dissapointment is Samsung abandoned us soon after release.. and why they did this i dont know.. as this phone has everything and works fine.. just needs good software....

i feel worse for the people who purchased the armani version though.. paying all those extra dollars for a pretty case and again getting no support or updates... we were all ripped off...

but i do make the most of it.. this is still a powerful phone with many great features... just have to find good 3rd party apps, install them, and turn off all samsung features....

Guest jakaka
hey guys,

i tried to cope up with the phone too...i bought this phone for its awesome hardware without noticing one simple thing....this phone never had what i really needed from a phone.

i love PSP like gaming on a mobile...carrying PSP is a big pain....Samsung Galaxy with an awesome graphics chip provides amazing gaming experience...its a real treat to have that phone.

I have just sold my B7610 few days ago....and getting a galaxy S.

Each phone has its own advantages and disadvantages....u have to figure out what u want in the phones and can live with its negatives...

also, all phones are getting pretty outdated very quickly...having the phone for one year is a big thing these days....am talking abt geeks here like me :D

That's what i did 2 weeks ago :D Except selling it ... no time for that, still lying on the table.

Guest demon1221

i just need to spill my guts,

when i say the b7610 i wanted one right away!!! but performance wise it realy sucks bigtime!!!!!!

its fat! its heavy! but full of wannahaves and gadgets,and rom cooks

my girl just bought herselve a I9000 (galaxy S) and i must say im pretty impressed with it now i want that 1!!!!

performance wise its fast and stable AS HELL!!!!!

one thing is for sure,iam pretty bummed that i didnt wait 2more months for the galaxy to releas here so now i am stuck

with a big,fat,heavy,performance-less thing samsung calls a smartphone

sorry for the negativity but i had to say it

Guest tammy89
i just need to spill my guts,

when i say the b7610 i wanted one right away!!! but performance wise it realy sucks bigtime!!!!!!

its fat! its heavy! but full of wannahaves and gadgets,and rom cooks

my girl just bought herselve a I9000 (galaxy S) and i must say im pretty impressed with it now i want that 1!!!!

performance wise its fast and stable AS HELL!!!!!

one thing is for sure,iam pretty bummed that i didnt wait 2more months for the galaxy to releas here so now i am stuck

with a big,fat,heavy,performance-less thing samsung calls a smartphone

sorry for the negativity but i had to say it

true!!!

Guest passion_streak

agreed Galaxy S is an awesome device .. but ur callin omnia pro "big,fat,heavy,performance-less thing samsung calls a smartphone"

WELL ITS WORKIN QUITE FINE FOR ME .. ANDROID PHONES HAVE THEIR OWN SHORTCOMINGS

who told u .. there isnt a lag in android phones . JUST USE GOOGLE .. or should i do that for u

did any one forced u buy this phone .. NO :D ... u had bought it by ur oWn wish & by lookin at it with ur "OWN" eye , u didnt considered the weight or size of the device then .. now ur cursing the device , WELL !!!!!

Edited by passion_streak

Guest demon1221
agreed Galaxy S is an awesome device .. but ur callin omnia pro "big,fat,heavy,performance-less thing samsung calls a smartphone"

WELL ITS WORKIN QUITE FINE FOR ME .. ANDROID PHONES HAVE THEIR OWN SHORTCOMINGS

who told u .. there isnt a lag in android phones . JUST USE GOOGLE .. or should i do that for u

did any one forced u buy this phone .. NO :D ... u had bought it by ur oWn wish & by lookin at it with ur "OWN" eye , u didnt considered the weight or size of the device then .. now ur cursing the device , WELL !!!!!

and licking my wounds,

yeah sure at first i was in heaven with it and when time passed, it was quit annoying performonce wise if you consider the rest of the compitition (galaxy s,iphone4(not mentioning the reception) HTC, wel our b7610 (that is quit up to date!!!) is running 6.1 and 6.5 and is graphical a mess and performance wise realy below level(my opinion) just look at the winmo phonebook, its just a copy of winmo 5.0 that launched several years ago i think??and then the matter of the winmo 6.5 interface??? ok i admit it its nice and fast but come on,JUST SOME LETTERS,the touchwiz interface is realy nice,but there they are again LAGGS

the samsung apps look realy nice but doesnt work wel on this phone because of the laggs,if the laggs where gone and stable its a good device!!!

the samsung apps are just the things that makes our phones nice looking and snippy

i agree that android phones have their shortcommings aswell but atleast its fast and stable and looks NEW GENERATION,

the only flaww i think (yet) on the galaxy s that it realy looks like a iphone,its like samsung took os4 and ported it to the galaxy and give it some little tweeks to make it their own

the romcooks for the b7610 make it all worth while!!! i now have a daskalos rom and the laggs are minimun and stable enough

sorry again its just my opinion and dont want to bad-mouth our phone 2bad,but i expected alot more

Edited by demon1221

This is the crappiest phone i've ever had. Custom ROMs do make a small change, but overall the phone just sucks.

I've been using it for three months now and already i'm buying another (android) phone. I've learned from my lesson, NEVER to buy another windows based phone again.

Guest demon1221
This is the best phone i've ever had. The battery has incredible performance.

I LOVE MY OMNIA PRO. :D

try a iphone or a galaxy s for a week then come back again and state that hahaha :D

bo just kiddin, its just a personal opinion my is that it sucks but some people just love it

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj

I will rate this phone as Above Average in performance and Great! when it comes to my own taste and likability of the Windows Mobile OS. It has everything, as far as hardware feature list goes, that one can imagine in a phone. But ya, Samsung has somehow not been able to make the drivers and its software layer that good, not to mention the huge amount of memory that they have dedicated to the graphics chip, which without proper graphics drivers goes in vain. Windows Mobile, in itself, runs pretty good on this hardware, if only Samsung could care more about this model......ah well!

But here is something for the whiners! See, you have bought a "POCKET PC" not a regular smartphone. When Windows Mobile OS was designed, it was targeted towards users who need PC like functionality on mobile devices. It's philosophy was (and still is) a mobile PC with Phone capabilities, not a phone with some computing capabilities. Plus the interface was designed based on the popularity of Windows desktop OS with a few adaptations to suit the mobile environment, so that it gives the user a familiar look of Windows on the PC. And this OS works and excels in that department. For example, I myself, as being a system administrator use Remote Desktop Mobile, zaTelnet (A telnet client) and zaTunnel (an SSH client) to monitor the servers at work while I am out of office or on lunch etc. Now this is something not easily possible on other mobile OSs. Plus as a developer, I can use both the .NET platform and raw C/C++ windows api (which again is mostly similar to the desktop Windows API) to create applications very easily to suit my needs. So this is where this OS shines for me. I not only use it as a phone but as a quick replacement for my laptop when I don't have it. I keep my data on it, in encrypted form, I keep my videos, music, pictures and games on it for leisure and I do my professional work on it when I am at office. In fact, now i am so much dependent on Windows Mobile, I am worried whether WinPhone 7 will be able to make me feel home or not.

So If you bought this phone thinking that it will do things in the same way as your Nokia series 40 devices does, sorry for the shock you received but you and you alone are responsible for that. Windows Mobile was designed to be different and it still retains that philosophy. If you need a plain-Jane phone, don't buy a Windows Mobile device ever, maybe Windows phone 7 will suit you more, or Symbian/Android which are more kind of mobile PHONE OS.

And to be clear, I am not taunting anyone here. What I am trying to say that it really depends on your needs and taste. Choosing a smartphone is not like choosing a dumb phone where you just go by model name. Its about choosing the right platform first, which caters to your needs, and then choose an appropriate model that fits your budget. That way it will be a smart, informed buyer's decision. :D

Edited by Sumit Bhardwaj

Guest passion_streak

demon bro .. ur comparing b7610 (which is an year and a half old ) with galaxy s & iphone 4 .. well come on . We didnt had galaxy S & iphone 4 an yr a go. I think ur comparision is not at all fair .

Just imagine ur goin to buy an iphone now .. & u'd say WOW WHAT COOL GRAPHICS .. WOW WHAT A GREAT DISPLAY .. after a year , u will compare it with Iphone 5 or Iphone 6 .. then u will post THIS IS THE CRAPPIEST PHONE EVER .:D

NO OFFENCES!! u said ur self Iphone have antenna issue ... whats the use of the phone if it cant make a CALL :D BUT WOO HOOO ITS SOOOOOOO SNAZZYYYYYY ;)

PS - COMPARE A G1 WITH OMNIA B7610 PRO , G1 IS AN ADROID DEVICE

Edited by passion_streak

Guest demon1221

true!!!!

i just looked up model year and specs and realist that i made a ounest mistake and want to rectify my statements at once,

when i got the phone i was under the impression that it was fairly new (3months ago or soo)

but that doesnt take away that the phone is not realy right for me.infact iam typing this on my b7610 right now with internet exlorer

and just to zoom in te read what i am typing is just a crime hahahaha

just what i said before its just my opinion on my experiencess,i just set my expectations to high of it

• 2 weeks later...
Guest blackslide

Well...

I'm on the same lines with demon in the out-of-the-box useability of this phone. It should be declared a crime to make such capable HW run so bad with non-optimised drivers and bloatware that samsung calls software for a 'phone'. Even if it's a PC with a phone, I'd like the phone to actually work :(

And yes, it's quite heavy and big, well, actually that's why I wanted it :D

After living almost a year with the Huawei U8220 wich was a major surprise, price/quality/useability -wise(despite the fact it still only has 1.6). I decided to try something new, well I just got this thing couple weeks ago and I must admit that I haven't been using it that much. Ppl claim that my phone doesn't ring at all when they call me, or it does it way too late. I don't know how the heck that happens since I have the profiles on "Ringing" or "Vibration" and the volume/vibration is on 5.. Also the UI is really laggy. I wonder how that can be when the HW specs are quite high...

If someone knows it's just this SW version then I'd like to know too. I'm running 6.5 Pro over B7610NXXIK3/IK1. Maybe 6.1 is less laggier? how about 6.5.3/5?

Anyhow the reason I mainly got this piece of hardware, was the hardware. When I get the time to read through all the tutorials on how to make the neccessary backups and then flash it.. (might even try an official Samsung release first). I'll be tweaking the virtual C**P out of this thing. And having seen a few HTC's and other winmo's with tweaked ROMs, I'm quite sure I'll finally find something adequate to my needs. And if I don't I'm switching over to my company S40 :huh:

Actually I was going to test Sumits ROM first since it seems to have quite an arsenal of apps handy.

If someone just showed me the way to the post where the backup process is described... gah, might as well test the search functionality.

First post in the wrong thread, but I hope you guys don't mind ;)

Guest demon1221

just reflash your device with a JE2 or a JC2 (stock or coocked) stock makes a difference but the cooked ones make the difference between enjoying it or tossing it in the ocean hahahah

but stil iam going to make the switch to an android or iphone or somthing, but stil going to cook roms for our b7610(just for fun and helping out)

Edited by demon1221

Guest blackslide

Hi,

Thanks for the tip :huh:

I've gathered that if I dump the mil and csc files, as per wes and wibiki. I'm quite safe from bricking the phone and can always go back to stock form if need be.

I'm going to take the backups now and if I'm thorough enough I might even test a few roms I got down at work today, see if that changes anything..

Daskalos Sense 2.5.2016 Build 23668 v1.2.rar

Daskalos 6.5.3 build 23129.rar

On the other hand I like winmo as is, but TFlo is so nice... The choices, the choices...

But if you're looking for something snappy, I do recommend android indeed. My puny Huawei is usually running aMSN, putty, wifi, google maps and playing music at the same time.. lo and behold! It actually still works as a phone! And being serious, the screen is on par with any top of the line samsung I've seen.

Only complaints so far: volume button changes music volume even when locked(devs say it's as per design), bluetooth stack is outright horrible(devs been working on this and not, no one seems to know what to do), crappy camera and no wma, flac or ape support. Also it's annoying that huawei forums keep advertising on to an end that they are working on 2.0, 2.1 update but the dates gives are long past and nothing has been announced. And well, it's my fault but the glass covering the screen is shattered, way too inflexible so a few hard drops on concrete, etc. will break it :(

Listing the same for the omnia pro, as is, would probably consume the internet ;) The most hated "feature" is the music stopping when jogging etc.. G-sensor like action with flash memory.. odd.. tried to disable etiquette, didn't help. Is it just the power saving properties, or is it just me?

>>edit: Oh, and WiFi ain't working.. well it works, finds AP, connects to AP and has decent SNR, but how do you actually use it? when I open a browser, it tries GPRS, same with GPS and all the other apps..

Edited by blackslide