Streaming to a HTPC with Android

Guest jwalhane

Guest jwalhane

This isn't exactly Desire specific, but the general thread looked a bit empty, so I thought I'd post here.

I want to stream media from my Network Attached Storage (NAS) to my Home Theatre PC (HTPC) and control/browse what I watch using my Desire. I have searched for a little while and cannot seem to find an easy to understand, authoritative source for getting to know how to do this.

I currently use Boxee (an XMBC derivative) on my HTPC, and have it scanning my NAS for Videos/Music/iPlayer etc, then I use a basic IR remote and choose what I want to watch on my TV. This works fine for video, but its not particularly great/convenient for music, as I want to be able to walk around the house and choose music through a list of music on my android phone to play through the HTPC. I also want to replace my IR remote with a cheap android tablet. Just to confirm here, I don't want to play the media off my android phone on my TV, I want to use my android phone to browse the media on my NAS, and control it playing on my TV.

For those that know, I think Sonos does something similar to what I am describing, but you need the Sonos hardware and special remotes, and I would ideally like to use my own hardware.

My question then: can this be done using DLNA/uPnP? Which of these would be better to use? Does anyone have any experience with home media streaming and can recommend programs? Are there any android apps which suit my needs?

Regards,

Joshua

Mods: Feel free to move this topic if its not an appropriate area.

This isn't exactly Desire specific, but the general thread looked a bit empty, so I thought I'd post here.

I want to stream media from my Network Attached Storage (NAS) to my Home Theatre PC (HTPC) and control/browse what I watch using my Desire. I have searched for a little while and cannot seem to find an easy to understand, authoritative source for getting to know how to do this.

I currently use Boxee (an XMBC derivative) on my HTPC, and have it scanning my NAS for Videos/Music/iPlayer etc, then I use a basic IR remote and choose what I want to watch on my TV. This works fine for video, but its not particularly great/convenient for music, as I want to be able to walk around the house and choose music through a list of music on my android phone to play through the HTPC. I also want to replace my IR remote with a cheap android tablet. Just to confirm here, I don't want to play the media off my android phone on my TV, I want to use my android phone to browse the media on my NAS, and control it playing on my TV.

For those that know, I think Sonos does something similar to what I am describing, but you need the Sonos hardware and special remotes, and I would ideally like to use my own hardware.

My question then: can this be done using DLNA/uPnP? Which of these would be better to use? Does anyone have any experience with home media streaming and can recommend programs? Are there any android apps which suit my needs?

Regards,

Joshua

Mods: Feel free to move this topic if its not an appropriate area.

Hi there. Have you tired "Gmote" from the market?

You install the app on your phone and some server software on the pc you want to watch/listen to stuff on.

You then connect your phone to the same wifi network as the htpc and search for the server.

Once setup you can search for network shares. You can use the app as a mouse pointer or a network share browser.

I use it for the same setup as you and I am happy with it.

Guest jwalhane
Hi there. Have you tired "Gmote" from the market?

You install the app on your phone and some server software on the pc you want to watch/listen to stuff on.

You then connect your phone to the same wifi network as the htpc and search for the server.

Once setup you can search for network shares. You can use the app as a mouse pointer or a network share browser.

I use it for the same setup as you and I am happy with it.

Oh brilliant, this is much simpler, i actualy used to use gmote as a mouse pointer! I forgot it can be used for this as well.

Thanks a bundle!

Guest petermgates

Not sure if it works for boxee but there is an official xbmc remote app in the market that gives you great control over your media and looks quite pretty too.

Guest nollie

GMote may be the best option as recommended as though a Boxee remote app is available, I personally use it and it does the job as a remote, it doesn't specifically show media files to select and play.