2.2 Froyo for GSM Hero?

Guest shugs81

Guest milko9000

Heh, by that reckoning Froyd is a month and a half without a new release, must be even better! :)

Cronos is on my list for when Floyo 1.01 annoys me enough to start over again though, which is what I'm currently happy with.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guiluge
I tried FroydVillain & FusionRom, they were really nice, but I deeply fell in love with elelinux 2.2.... Awesome, I highly recommend this one !

Guys, elelinux was great, but Cronos Froyo 1.4.2 is beyond awesome : super smooth, battery life seems great so far... a real treat.

I'm impressed.

Is it really worthwhile to upgrade 2.1 to 2.2? I'm happy with with the current modaco rom and wonder what benefits there are? Aside from have the "latest and greatest".

Guest movetorecyclebin

I've tried several 2.2 roms ... Floyo, Cronos, Fusion!ROM, bFroyo63, FroydVillain, elelinux (actually this one)

For daily use, I like the Fusion ROM

(note that I'm not using bluetooth or camera functions)

Edit (10nov.): switched to Fusion Rom with the release of the 2.2.1 updt9. This release seems better than ever

take a look at androids Roms

Edited by movetorecyclebin

Guest Guiluge
Is it really worthwhile to upgrade 2.1 to 2.2? I'm happy with with the current modaco rom and wonder what benefits there are? Aside from have the "latest and greatest".

Well, I feel 2.2 roms (especially Cronos) are running smoother & faster than 2.1 ones, but that's all.

If you're satisfied with the latest 2.1, well, keep it.

I wanted a system more reactive and Sense-free, that's why I upgraded.

Guest David Aitken

Tried Cronos 1.4.2, but it seemed to dislike my phone, really laggy and slow compared to Elelinux and Floyo, in fact Froyd ran more smoothly than it and it's well outdated now

Guest worcester4x4

Yesterday I installed FroydVillain 1.5.

I am now very impressed!

Initially I was a little concerned, I had a few FCs and a couple of lockups.

Now, after reinstalling the apps that FC'd and updating all the other apps it's running as smooth as silk with no more FCs. I previously ran Modaco r5 and thought that was pretty good, but FroydVillain knocks it into a cocked hat.

Battery life seems excellent also; this morning at 11.45 I had to pull it off charge, it was at 71%. Now, 7 hours later it's at 50%, that's at least 20 %age points more than I would have expected. I'll run it from fully charged tomorrow and check for certain.

For now, it's looking really good.

I'm liking FroydVillain 1.5 too just missing the trackball light, gunna get it from a rom that its worked on and push it across see if it works.

Anyone know if Adobe Air will install on Hero running 2.2 or not?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Carl_Brummy
I'm liking FroydVillain 1.5 too just missing the trackball light, gunna get it from a rom that its worked on and push it across see if it works.

Anyone know if Adobe Air will install on Hero running 2.2 or not?

I have been running Floyo 1.1.9 for a little while (this is the latest, I have been running it from earlier builds) and it is improved a lot each time.

the only issue is that ALK will NOT activate my copy of Copilot Live 8 anymore as I have activated it too many times with all these updates and rom switching...so be careful if you have something like this installed!

Carl.

I have been running Floyo 1.1.9 for a little while (this is the latest, I have been running it from earlier builds) and it is improved a lot each time.

the only issue is that ALK will NOT activate my copy of Copilot Live 8 anymore as I have activated it too many times with all these updates and rom switching...so be careful if you have something like this installed!

Carl.

I often flash different ROMs and i solved the problem u got with Copilot and other applications with licences activation:

I use Titanium Back, : i've saved an activated version, and after flash, either i retore it (data + Application) either i download it from market and restore data only.and so,no new activation is necessary.

i hope this helps

A+

Jpq

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mugenmk

I see that Villainrom has released Froydvillain, has anyone tried it and can someone please confirm if the trackball notification works on 1.5 and on 1.6., also what is with this?

Kernels:

If you are using the Music app, you may/will need to set a higher minimum CPU speed in SetCPU to stop crashes.

576MHz with boot animation.

576MHz without boot animation.

614MHz with boot animation.

614MHz without boot animation.

652MHz with boot animation.

652MHz without boot animation.

691MHz with boot animation.

691MHz without boot animation.

729MHz with boot animation.

729MHz without boot animation.

748MHz with boot animation.

748MHz without boot animation.

768MHz with boot animation.

768MHz without boot animation.

What are these for? And is flashing a radio image needed?

thanks

Edited by Mugenmk

I see that Villainrom has released Froydvillain, has anyone tried it and can someone please confirm if the trackball notification works on 1.5 and on 1.6.

Tried FroydVillain 1.5 & 1.6 then tried FROYO 2.2 Special Edition all seem pretty stable but no trackball flash apart from when you get a call.

Also tried the CM notification fix and a few other fixes but they didnt sort out the problem.

Guest toxic-hero
I see that Villainrom has released Froydvillain, has anyone tried it and can someone please confirm if the trackball notification works on 1.5 and on 1.6., also what is with this?

Kernels:

If you are using the Music app, you may/will need to set a higher minimum CPU speed in SetCPU to stop crashes.

576MHz with boot animation.

576MHz without boot animation.

614MHz with boot animation.

614MHz without boot animation.

652MHz with boot animation.

652MHz without boot animation.

691MHz with boot animation.

691MHz without boot animation.

729MHz with boot animation.

729MHz without boot animation.

748MHz with boot animation.

748MHz without boot animation.

768MHz with boot animation.

768MHz without boot animation.

What are these for? And is flashing a radio image needed?

thanks

these are different kernels. higher number means higher CPU speed, which means your phone runs faster but also your battery dries quicker. you enable a kernel by flashing it over your rom in recovery mode but it depends from your phone how high CPU speed it supports. if it doesn't boot after you flashed a kernel or if you get FCs, than you should flash a lower speed kernel.

i suggest you stick with the default kernel which you get by flashing the rom itself. it's tested to be the best compromise between speed and stability/battery consumption. you may also flash the default kernel (576MHz) without the boot animation. that will shorten the boot time of your phone.

this kernel stuff has nothing to do with the radio image.

Edited by toxic-hero

Guest toxic-hero
Thanks a lot, that really clears things up, one last thing though, do I need to flash a radio image and which one?

you don't need to flash newer radio if the existing one works for you. however you can do it anyway (try with the latest radio) to see if your gsm signal or wifi gets any better. in case of troubles you may flash back your working radio anytime.

one thing more about kernels: froydvillain 1.6 doesn't offer separate kernels to flash. however you may play with CPU speeds in an app called CPUspeed which is installed by deafault. just don't try to flash FV 1.5 kernels on FV 1.6.