Ad-hoc network connection for Streak?

Guest Lunait

Guest Lunait

I'm considering rooting my Dell Streak, partly in order to make it able to connect to the ad-hoc wifi network I have at home. I have seen some procedures enabling connecting to ad-hoc networks on other Android phones; has anyone tried this on a Streak? How did you go about it?

Guest rgsekula

I would like to know as well.

i can't even see the network on my streak when i use wmwifirouter on my Omnia2.

i also can't connect via Bluetooth DUN. I can pair the devices but cannot connect. :D

Guest Ellis Grouse
Bump..

Maybe someone moar smarter can use this to assist???

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=754961

says it is for froyo, tho.

Well, hi there!

Have attached both update.zip and the wpa_supplicant binary on the Streak...

I couldn't get my PC to detect my phone in Fastboot to install a recovery, so the update.zip is completely untested (I'd advise making a backup when applying any update.zip, anyway) but should work.

I've tested the binary itself, and it works - can connect to my AdHoc networks no problem.

To install the binary (from a PC, needs busybox installed):

1. Push binary to your phones sdcard (`adb push wpa_supplicant /sdcard`)

2. Open a shell via adb (`adb shell`)

3. Get root! (su)

4. Remount the /system partition (busybox mount -rw -o remount /system)

5. Copy the wpa_supplicant binary over the old one (busybox cp /sdcard/wpa_supplicant /system/bin/wpa_supplicant)

6. Make it executable (chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant)

7. Reboot!

adhoc_dellstreak_signed.zip

wpa_supplicant.zip

Guest djsouthpaw
Well, hi there!

I couldn't get my PC to detect my phone in Fastboot to install a recovery, so the update.zip is completely untested (I'd advise making a backup when applying any update.zip, anyway) but should work.

I've tested the binary itself, and it works - can connect to my AdHoc networks no problem.

3. Get root! (su)

5. Copy the wpa_supplicant binary over the old one (busybox cp /sdcard/wpa_supplicant /system/bin/wpa_supplicant)

7. Reboot!

Quick question on this process. Do you put both files in the same area in the system or does the ad-hoc streak signed file go somewhere else?

Thanks

Guest Ellis Grouse
Quick question on this process. Do you put both files in the same area in the system or does the ad-hoc streak signed file go somewhere else?

Thanks

Hi, sorry, to clarify:

adhoc_dellstreak-signed.zip is the update.zip to be applied via a custom recovery

wpa_supplicant.zip contains the binary that you should put into /system/bin if you can't apply the update

Hope that should clear it up :D

EDIT: Can anyone confirm/deny that the update.zip works? Cheers!

Edited by Ellis Grouse

Guest djsouthpaw

Thanks for the information. I was able to use Root Explorer to add the file to the Bin area and just simply placed the the update in the phone on the SD card. For some reason it did not need to update that as my Streak was able to see my iPhone using MyWi and connect. I can now use Beta Streak without a sim and simply tether via Ad-Hoc on my unlimited iPhone plan when not near free WiFi. We now have a solution for the US unlocked Beta Streaks. Im definately going streaking. LOL

Guest mrmrmrmr

i also can't connect via Bluetooth DUN. I can pair the devices but cannot connect. :D

Why can't you use Bluetooth DUN ?

Guest Lunait
Hi, sorry, to clarify:

adhoc_dellstreak-signed.zip is the update.zip to be applied via a custom recovery

wpa_supplicant.zip contains the binary that you should put into /system/bin if you can't apply the update

Hope that should clear it up :D

EDIT: Can anyone confirm/deny that the update.zip works? Cheers!

So I would only need one or the other, but not both? Also, is there any way to do this using Windows?

Edited by Lunait

• 4 weeks later...
Guest spiderboyy
I TRIED TO DO UPDATE VIA CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY BUT GIVES ME ERROR --- E: Syntax error in update script any suggestion plz help

Try pushing it via ADB, or just copy the binary to the correct folder using Root Explorer. Worked for me. Always back up the original file though, just in case

• 2 weeks later...
Well, hi there!

Hi, a bit of a long shot but since I see you owned a Milestone previously you may be sympathetic to my plight ;-) Anyway, I've tried all kinds of tricks to connect to my iPhone AdHoc MyWi network in vain (works with PC AdHocs) with my Milestone and it seems a patched wpa_supplicant is the way to go.

You wouldn't happen to have one handy for 2.1update1 would you? If you don't, can you point me to a link that explains how to patch the wpa_supplicant in my Milestone?

Many thanks!

CONTINUED : probably pushing my luck here but here is the Milestone 2.1update1 wpa_supplicant http://dl.dropbox.com/u/904989/wpa_supplicant if a wiz can set it straight for Adhoc ;-)

Edited by webvan

Guest the.mister.D
Hi, a bit of a long shot but since I see you owned a Milestone previously you may be sympathetic to my plight ;-) Anyway, I've tried all kinds of tricks to connect to my iPhone AdHoc MyWi network in vain (works with PC AdHocs) with my Milestone and it seems a patched wpa_supplicant is the way to go.

You wouldn't happen to have one handy for 2.1update1 would you? If you don't, can you point me to a link that explains how to patch the wpa_supplicant in my Milestone?

Many thanks!

Hey webvan, Were you able to connect your Streak to an Ad-hoc tethered wifi network?

I was trying it with Nokia n900 but my Streak wud not see the tethered network, however I was able to connect my laptop to it without any problem.

Sorry I don't own a Streak, but the lack of AdHoc issue is similar on the Milestone (and all current Android smartphones I understand) so I thought I would join in the fun ;-)

Are you saying you're not able to connect to your N900 AdHoc even after applying this patch?

Guest JCHMODOAC0

Well I had the same issues and looked for a way to add/delete/move files to, from and on the streak. Below is the easiest way of doing it and also almost foolproof and it WORKS

Astro file.manager (on the market)

then add the smb option (also on the market)

then add the bluetooth option (also on the market)

They all work.and it's FAB

jchmodac0

Guest mrmrmrmr

i also can't connect via Bluetooth DUN. I can pair the devices but cannot connect. :lol:

well I was also interested in using BT DUN but I couldn't succeed. even with the following application:

http://android.gval.biz

Can anyone comment on that ?

Guest rgsekula
well I was also interested in using BT DUN but I couldn't succeed. even with the following application:

http://android.gval.biz

Can anyone comment on that ?

I could never make any progress regarding the bluetooth reverse tethering.

My omnia2 creates the BTnetwork and I can tether my mac no problems.

Using the WmWiFIRouter app on the Omnia and using the wpasuplicant from above I can now connect to my ad hoc created network, but I never can get a useable IP address or internet. I am stumped. I do not know the configuration(s) i need get it to work correctly.

My wife has a palm pre, and with one click i can create a non- adhoc hotspot and have no problems...

Guest rgsekula
What do you use on Omnia2 for the BT DUN ?

Is it the same application I posted above ?

EDIT: played around the .apk from above. interesting. I can briefly get the devices to connect, but then it goes to to connection failed.. I'll play around with it more to tomorrow.

edit 2: i can only create BT PAN profile.. oh well. id be happy just connecting using the wi fi tether if i could get to work.

I run WmWiFiRouter on the Omnia2/i920 to create either the BT network or the WiFi network. I had to first the install the Internet Connection Sharing program(.cab), tho.

I know the the connections created are legit since I can connect either one to my Mac and surf no problem.

When I connect via BT there are no options on either the streak or Omnia for what the connection is to be used (eg. headphones, audio..) I can pair but not connect.

Via Ad Hoc Wi Fi I can connect but I had to use the advanced settings and use the following:

Use Static IP: Check

IP address: 198.168.3.2

Gateway: 192.168.3.2

Netmask: 255.255.255.0

DNS 1: 192.168.3.1

DNS 2: empty

[without the static IP it just attempts to obtain an IP and then quits since it was unsucessful].

what kind of device are you using to create the network? if win mobile try this/ free trial: http://global.wmwifirouter.com/trial/

Edited by rgsekula

• 2 weeks later...
Guest webvan
Thanks for the information. I was able to use Root Explorer to add the file to the Bin area and just simply placed the the update in the phone on the SD card. For some reason it did not need to update that as my Streak was able to see my iPhone using MyWi and connect. I can now use Beta Streak without a sim and simply tether via Ad-Hoc on my unlimited iPhone plan when not near free WiFi. We now have a solution for the US unlocked Beta Streaks. Im definately going streaking. LOL

Is that still working? I need to be able to connect to my iPad or iPhone running MyWi and the Streak is the only Android device where I've seen someone get it to work ! On my Milestone I can get it to connect to a PC AdHoc (more or less, not getting an IP) but it just won't see my MyWi network.

Guest djsouthpaw
Is that still working? I need to be able to connect to my iPad or iPhone running MyWi and the Streak is the only Android device where I've seen someone get it to work ! On my Milestone I can get it to connect to a PC AdHoc (more or less, not getting an IP) but it just won't see my MyWi network.

It has been working since (sorry for the delay). The only thing I had to do on the app MyFi is adjust the channel or power so it sees it when it has not been connected in a while. Just update to 2.2. that to Steve so I will continue to test it out. Did the same process with using the root explorer to r/w the file. Will let you know.

Guest bradu17
Well, hi there!

3. Get root! (su)

7. Reboot!

Your steps worked but I had to work really hard !!!! and a little different than your steps

Until step 4 it worked fine.

My Step 5 was to copy the wpa_supplicant using Root Explorer

Step 6 and 7 worked as you wrote them :)

Now I can connect to ad hoc networks.

Thank you for your steps ! THEY HELPED ME VERY MUCH !!!

It has been working since (sorry for the delay). The only thing I had to do on the app MyFi is adjust the channel or power so it sees it when it has not been connected in a while. Just update to 2.2. that to Steve so I will continue to test it out. Did the same process with using the root explorer to r/w the file. Will let you know.

Thanks, looks like I have a Streak in my future then ! Hope it doesn't get broken with 2.2 though!