19/Aug - Streak 2.1 downloads / how-tos (ROM / Superboot / Recovery)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest tonymenocal

Took me awhile, but I was able to use these instructions with my 1066usa streak. WORKS GREAT!! Question though, whats the difference between using update.zip vs .pkg installation when flashing/installing.

<---- very slow learner

Guest Mr Kyle

For the life of me I can't figure out why I keep getting "Operation not permitted" when I try to stop the recovery overwrite. Tried the command several times. Have root and have Dell PC Suite and android sdk installed and adb works too.

EDIT: adb devices gets the Serial number

adb remount gets "remount failed: operation not permitted"

EDIT2: All worked out. I flashed to Alternate version of ClockWork.

Edited by Mr Kyle

Guest ThatSnazzyiPhoneGuy

I was experiencing some difficulties getting the ClockwordMod Recvoery to flash, but Owen over on the #dellstreak IRC helped me out. Running 2.2 like a charm! Thanks a million everyone!

Guest Acky1337

I am a real dummy in androids and their builds, all I know is how to follow instructions, but I seem to be blind enough to not notice how to, if I have the 6491 build installed from modaco, can I update to 2.2 beta even if it says that you need to have that 8xxx build or if not, how do I upgrade from 6x to 8x?

OK, re: the recovery overwrite problem, do the following from a command prompt...

adb shell

su

mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock6 /system && rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh && mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock6 /system

exit

exit

...and you should be set (testing myself now!)

P

Thanks for the tip, Paul. I'm having a problem with the shell command. In Windows 7 from a command prompt, and from the clockwork recovery directory, when I type adb-windows shell I get "error: device not found". Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just purchased streak with 6267 (00EU) version.

I read everywhere, that it is indeed upgradeable to 2.1 then 2.2

I followed instructions at the other thread.

Problem is, just after i flashed Update.pkg (Streak_104_4399_21.pkg), it says "software is up to date. Rebooting in 30 secs", and after rebooting, it actually still is 6267 !!! :mad::mad::mad:

I tried for more than 5 times. All same results.

I also tried to factory reset, re-fastboot, re-flash recovery, then re-flash ROM. Still same results !! It still is 6267 after reboot..

Anyone knows which part I have gone wrong ?? Please guide me... I badly want my streak to go 2.2.

Guest dellaws
Hi,

I just purchased streak with 6267 (00EU) version.

I read everywhere, that it is indeed upgradeable to 2.1 then 2.2

I followed instructions at the other thread.

Problem is, just after i flashed Update.pkg (Streak_104_4399_21.pkg), it says "software is up to date. Rebooting in 30 secs", and after rebooting, it actually still is 6267 !!! :mad::mad::mad:

I tried for more than 5 times. All same results.

I also tried to factory reset, re-fastboot, re-flash recovery, then re-flash ROM. Still same results !! It still is 6267 after reboot..

Anyone knows which part I have gone wrong ?? Please guide me... I badly want my streak to go 2.2.

Same here, I have Unlocked US Streak and I cannot upgrade or Downgrade to any other rom, its simply stuck with 2.1 for now and gives me the msg system is already up to date :)

Same here, I have Unlocked US Streak and I cannot upgrade or Downgrade to any other rom, its simply stuck with 2.1 for now and gives me the msg system is already up to date :)

did you get 2.1 straight out of the box ?? or did u upgraded from 1.6 to 2.1 ??

my problem is I can't move anywhere from the original 6267... strange... anyone knows why??

Guest burtonmiller

I seem to be stuck in a failed boot cycle after (carefully) following all the instructions to upgrade my streak to 2.2.

2.1 worked fine.

Whoever helps me fix it (first) will get a free t-shirt (from faroutshirts.com).

fail.log.2_2.txt

Guest rabydanimal

EDIT: I replied to the wrong thread, DISREGARD!

I seem to be the only person getting stuck at the Dell logo after flashing and it's really frustrating!

Here are the steps I'm following:

Flash stock 2.1 recovery (6941)

Flash stock O2 2.1 (8105) using PKG

Reboot phone, confirm it boots 2.1 successfully

Shut down and flash 2.5.0.1 clockwork recovery

Reboot and apply 1.1.1 update.zip and reboot

The Dell logo goes through one animation cycle and then it just sits there indefinitely. It's worth noting that beta 3 worked on this device but I cannot go from it or any stock build to 1.0 or 1.1.1 without getting stuck at the Dell logo.

Any help would be super appreciated. I can't wait to get a reasonably stable 2.2 build running!

Edited by rabydanimal

Guest rabydanimal
I seem to be stuck in a failed boot cycle after (carefully) following all the instructions to upgrade my streak to 2.2.

2.1 worked fine.

Whoever helps me fix it (first) will get a free t-shirt (from faroutshirts.com).

I found a solution to my boot loop problem, perhaps it will help you. It looks like you have to go in to the partitions menu of clockwork recovery and mount each partition after flashing and before rebooting. Odd this was omitted from all the tutorials I found!

Guest HemantJn
This topic is the place to find everything you need to upgrade your streak to version 2.1! I've successfully updated both an O2 streak and a direct-from-Dell-UK red streak. :)

ALL FILES BELOW ARE USED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Enjoy! :)

P

ROM download

About

This is the main Android 2.1 ROM download. :(

Download

• Build 8105 (intended for O2 devices, can be applied to generic UK devices using the guide below) - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: 398c9b72837bf042c76562b5ec9bf96c
  • Build 8023 (intended for O2 devices, can be applied to generic UK devices using the guide below) - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: 0035768dcfbe73d7598a3f78a5899f37
  • Build 6941 (intended for O2 devices, can be applied to generic UK devices using the guide below) - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: 69632bb5b1c8e5bc4ffc2333f2a38998
    • Stock recovery (build 4399) - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: 1211852b3cea6f3610931f99d477ff5e
      • Download the pkg file above and copy it to your microSD card named 'update.pkg'.
      • ONLY if you have flashed a custom recovery image OR if you are using a non O2 supplied device (e.g. from Dell directly), you need to revert to a stock recovery image by carrying out the following steps:
        • Download the stock recovery image above and extract to a directory
        • Put your device in bootloader mode - Unplug the device from your PC, remove the device battery, then replace it and turn device on with the camera button pressed. Select the 'fastboot' text on the top right, wait around 10 seconds then plug the device into your PC. The screen display should change to 'FASTBOOT MODE'. If it doesn't, repeat and retry (it's a bit temperamental!)
        • WINDOWS - double click 'install-recovery-windows.bat'
        • MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-recovery-mac.sh' followed by './install-recovery-mac.sh'
        • LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-recovery-linux.sh' followed by './install-recovery-linux.sh'

• Power on your device with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons pressed. This will give you a menu, where the second option is 'Apply update.pkg from SD card' Select this option (using volume keys and camera button to select).
        • When this process completes, your upgrade is done!

About

Superboot is a boot.img that when flashed, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK by ChainsDD). No need to flash the system partition, no need to use ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just flash the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

Download

Before download, you should check your device's 'about' screen to determine which build number you are running. Although the Superboot may work on other builds than that for which it was designed, I cannot guarantee that!

• r1 for build 6941 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: c4e7708d4c78e5b3d6d85aeff3a1356b

How to install

[*]Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory

[*]Put your device in bootloader mode - Unplug the device from your PC, remove the device battery, then replace it and turn device on with the camera button pressed. Select the 'fastboot' text on the top right, wait around 10 seconds then plug the device into your PC. The screen display should change to 'FASTBOOT MODE'. If it doesn't, repeat and retry (it's a bit temperamental!)

[*]WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'

[*]MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'

[*]LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'

[*]That's it, you're done!

Recovery images

About

The custom recovery allows you to do all sorts of lovely things such as installing ROM update zips (for custom ROMs), wiping various parts of the device, backing up, restoring and much more.

Download

[*]Koush's recovery 2.0.5.1 repack for 2.1 devices - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: 948e19055762737366dd0347c0e1b734

[*]Stock recovery (as shipped with build 6941) - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: 2fecd8e5266da024af4c3a26939ae6a8

How to install

[*]Download the recovery image zip file above and extract to a directory

[*]Put your device in bootloader mode - Unplug the device from your PC, remove the device battery, then replace it and turn device on with the camera button pressed. Select the 'fastboot' text on the top right, wait around 10 seconds then plug the device into your PC. The screen display should change to 'FASTBOOT MODE'. If it doesn't, repeat and retry (it's a bit temperamental!)

[*]WINDOWS - double click 'install-recovery-windows.bat'

[*]MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-recovery-mac.sh' followed by './install-recovery-mac.sh'

[*]LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-recovery-linux.sh' followed by './install-recovery-linux.sh'

[*]That's it, you're done!

To enter recovery mode, turn your device on with 'volume down' and 'volume up' both pressed.

Update: The stock 2.1 build has a built in mechanism that is overwriting the stock recovery image. To disable this, with your device booted and rooted, enter the following at a command prompt (in the directory where you extracted the zip above) before re-flashing the recovery image using the instructions above:

adb-windows shell (or adb-linux shell or adb-mac shell)

su

mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock6 /system && rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh && mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock6 /system

exit

exit

Guest HemantJn

Hi All,

Happy Diwali from India!!!!

I got myself a Streak on Diwali and wanted to upgrade to Android 2.1.

My phone is an unlocked one with build 8116 purchased in Delhi. Can you please help me with the necessary image files and upgrade procedure.

Thanks in advance. God bless us all!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Hemant :) :)

Guest shingers5

need help and please do not ignore. some feedback would be nice!

i just can't get clockword recovery working at all! man i tried every thing from instructions to my own intuition and nada. every method states its been flashed correctly but every time i boot into recovery i get stock recovery image. i tried fastboot flash method and it said okay in terminal and on phone still nothing. tried paul's .bat file which again said download done but no clockwork recovery. used rom manager from market which indicates that i have the clockwork mod installed but when try to boot into recovery via rom manager just boots back into OS bypassing stock recovery altogether. frustrated and annoyed after reading and trying all i can ........... i am now asking for help. trying to run command to remove install-recovery.sh says file does not exist.

question:

when flash clockwork mod do i need to wait for phone to reboot? if so how long do i wait?

PLEASE HELP!

i successfully flashed 2.1 via .pkg file and installed root. recovery is only thing thats proving a nightmare.

• 3 weeks later...
PLEASE HELP!

i successfully flashed 2.1 via .pkg file and installed root. recovery is only thing thats proving a nightmare.

I have the same problem with recovery - i correctly installed clockwork recovery, but possible to start only in stock recovery - any solutions? Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Guest ineedhelp

i have a dell streak buil #6601 with android 1.6 & i been looking for a file to root my device and this is my first ever rooting process ive tried to do so make it easy for me please and thank in advance :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BlueTurtle

Morning all. I'm thinking of swapping my new Galaxy S for a Streak and then updating the OS to one of these ROMs. Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but would I then have portrait mode available on the phone, a la ebook readers? From what I've read Dell have forced landscape mode on everything, removing the user's choice. The connectbot terminal I installed on the Galaxy seems to have portrait mode only, oddly.

If this is the wrong topic/thread would someone please be kind enough to point me to the right one.

Cheers

Guest svenners
Morning all. I'm thinking of swapping my new Galaxy S for a Streak and then updating the OS to one of these ROMs. Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but would I then have portrait mode available on the phone, a la ebook readers? From what I've read Dell have forced landscape mode on everything, removing the user's choice. The connectbot terminal I installed on the Galaxy seems to have portrait mode only, oddly.

If this is the wrong topic/thread would someone please be kind enough to point me to the right one.

Cheers

Landscape IS the default orientation, but everything rotates to Portrait like other phones. It is more of an issue for programs that do not rotate to Landscape and force portrait, but even then I've only experienced that one or two times.

• 3 months later...
Guest mikeinessex

people im a total noob to dell streak and modaco site. im a preious galaxy s user so things are very different with this phone. nothing really makes sense to me at the moment with all the build numbers and so on. so if i can put down my deails of my phone and someone could either inbox or post back with some help i would really appreciate it. i swapped my old phone for this so i dont actually know if anything has been done to it before either.

model number: dell streak

android version: 2.2

baseband: GAUSB1A130500-EU

kernel version: 2.6.32.9-perf

OEM version: GAUSB1A130500

build number: 10688

so basically all i want is a stable fast rom which i can theme or atleast comes with a better theme then this nasty grey lol not bothered about being fancy with the rom just want it to be stable with no lag. plz plz plz someone deote some time to walk me through. cause as it stands i feel like going back to galaxy s but i beliee the dell streak has alot more to offer if i can get it on a custom build. im on orange in england and i know the phone is unlocked to all networks [email protected] is my email

• 2 years later...
Guest mikeheng

hello, i have a Dell Mini 5. model is M01M.

the problem is, i power on the tablet.. it show Dell logo then it blank but i already test the lcd and touch screen is no problem..

how can i solve this problem? i need it as soon as possible..

thankyou

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Peggy_zhou

I believe that are really of great help to most people including me. However, can i ask if it is available to any brand (such as PIPO)& any Android Tablet&cellphone ? Thank you !