A2SD not moving apps?

Guest chucky.egg

Guest Matt Ots
I just realised I added nothing to this thread. Sigh. Well I hope it's useful for someone anyway!

Thanks, your post explained it perfectly for me.

Having gone back and looked at what's what on my phone in the light of this it seems that apps2sd is working properly, as if I move apps between the SD card and phone using the froyo method (move to sd/phone in system > applications > manage) I can see the apps2sd storage space changing in Quick System Info, while the internal storage level remains almost the same.

So what exactly does get stored on the internal storage if all my apps are on the ext partition of the sd card? On my HTC Desire 114MB of 148MB internal storage is currently used, but it must be related to apps, as I started out (when I first installed the ROM and before installing all my apps) with the full 148MB free (the 114MB is after clearing the cache using Cache Cleaner).

• 2 months later...
Guest Zoandroid
I just realised I added nothing to this thread. Sigh. Well I hope it's useful for someone anyway!

SpammySam,

Not to worry. I came here specifically looking for information on A2SD, and your post was VERY helpful in my learning more about it! Thanks!

:)

In addition to what you explained, one thing I am trying to figure out is what to do if you want to move an app back to the internal memory after installing A2SD. Your explanation sure makes it sound like that would never be necessary, but on other forums I have read that some apps simply are not "happy" unless they stay internal. I had been having problems with Lookout Mobile Security after rooting, Rom Mgr, then A2SD. It reported not responding on each subsequent reboot of the phone. I thought perhaps it might stop doing that if I moved it back to internal. But I don't yet know how, or whether doing so would have A2SD simply move it back to the SD once again.

Lookout finally seems to have settled down (after a boot loop and battery removal) and stopped complaining. But I would still like to learn about how to do this if it becomes necessary. If you could point me to some info on it I would be grateful.

I am using an LG Ally which unfortunately doesn't have Froyo yet. I got tired of waiting and that is why I rooted, specifically to get more app space.

Zoandroid

Edited by Zoandroid

Guest spammyspam

If you're using Darktremor or a script etc, then you can't "move it to the phone" since there's no location on the phone to move it to. The whole directory is on the SD card. Unless you move it to /system or something you're out of luck.

If you're using native Froyo, then you should be able to move it via Application Management.

Guest Zoandroid
If you're using Darktremor or a script etc, then you can't "move it to the phone" since there's no location on the phone to move it to. The whole directory is on the SD card. Unless you move it to /system or something you're out of luck.

If you're using native Froyo, then you should be able to move it via Application Management.

I still run the LG Ally stock VZC ROM, so what finally worked for me was to use the cat command in Terminal and move it back from system/sd/app to system/app. I was having some problems with Lookout Mobile Security being moved by A2SD and moving it back internally stopped the problems.

Thanks for the info!

Zoandroid