Press Dell to release kernel source - call for action

Guest smokku

Guest smokku

Note: I find MoDaCo community hostile and unopen, thus I got out.

You may find me on XDA-Dev.

I've just spent few hours trying to build android-msm-2.6.32 Linux kernel for Dell Streak.

It turns out that it is impossible, without device specific board files.

These files are in the Linux kernel source tree Dell used to build kernel for Streak and Dell is obliged under the terms of GPL, to give this source to any owner of Streak requesting it.

So,

- If you want Froyo on your Streak, build by modders,

- If you want CyanogenMod on your Streak

- If you want Ubuntu, Debian, MeeGo, Maemo on your Streak

Write, mail, call, tweet Dell demanding the source you have the (GPL) right to have.

Post a blog entry. Notify your favorite news service that Dell is violating GPL. Post a Facebook/Twitter/etc. status. Make some buzz.

If we create enough pressure for Dell, they will finally stop violating GPL and give us the kernel source.

Dell technical support details are here: http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topic...&~ck=anavml

Call them and demand the Streak kernel source, you have the right to have. If they shunt you away, ask them for your case number - this will force them to enter your case to the support tracking system.

Start a new topic on http://en.community.dell.com/support-forum...ces/f/3824.aspx demanding the kernel source.

You may request the source at Dell Support for Facebook Fans too: http://apps.facebook.com/dellfeedback/

Press "Like it!" at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dell-Streak-...133689050009762 Facebook page.

You can message @Direct2Dell @LionelatDell @MattatDell @DellCares @MichelleBatDell @KerryatDell @TeamDell on Twitter asking where you can get the Streak kernel source.

Dell Press Office email: [email protected]

Phone number to the head office in Bracknall: 01344 860456

If you know any other channer to reach Dell, please post it here and I will update the list.

Sign the online petition

signature.pnghttp://www.petitionspot.com/

Edited by smokku

Guest vinokirk

I have:

Tweeted- @Direct2Dell

Tweeted- @LionelatDell

Emailed- [email protected]

I have an addressof the head office in Bracknall:

Dell House

The Boulevard

Cain Road

Bracknell

Berkshire

RG12 1LF

And a phone number to the head office in Bracknall:

01344 860456

Edited by vinokirk

Guest smokku
Why is a mass action needed for this? Has anyone tried to simply ask for it from Dell?

Why... yes.

There are two types of responses:

1. If they may, they just ignore you. Like Twitter, e-mail, etc.

2. If you call tech support directly and they cannot ignore you directly, they say they will see what they can do and will call you back. And they simply do not call you back.

at least I got a response..

MattatDell

@fardsmobile Hmm. Good question re: #Dellstreak and GPL. Not sure. will add to my list of questions for biz team

about 23 days ago in reply to fardsmobile from web

I'm as eager as anyone here to get my hands on the kernel source.

But in my view it's prudent to be a little patient for some more weeks.

It takes time and resources to make the source code ready for publication; it has to actually be compilable and usable for compliance with the GPL.

I say we start demanding after the official update; this should free up enough manpower for the kernel release process. Don't you think that some people are awfully busy working on 2.2 right now ?

Guest untrueparadox
+1

I'll write a blog post tomorrow and then tweet it as well as emailing Dell directly.

There's also @MattatDell and @DellCares (what bullshit..)

Guest Jompet
I'm as eager as anyone here to get my hands on the kernel source.

But in my view it's prudent to be a little patient for some more weeks.

It takes time and resources to make the source code ready for publication; it has to actually be compilable and usable for compliance with the GPL.

I say we start demanding after the official update; this should free up enough manpower for the kernel release process. Don't you think that some people are awfully busy working on 2.2 right now ?

See the thing is they shouldn't have to slow down on updates because they need to get the kernel in order first. It should get released to the dev community when the device does.

Half the time people like those here and at xda are releasing better faster more up to date roms and in a more timely fashion I might add.

This is why Android is fragmented. Lazy companies exploiting the GNU.

IMO.

Dell are well aware of their commitments when they use GPL based software. they have known all along that they must release it, there's no need to give them excuses like it would slow development down as it wouldn't, it can't.

it would be easy for them to set a git up, every other developer can do it!

they could dump all development progress in to, that takes a couple of hours of their time at the maximum, the very first time they do it, after that it's simple and easy..

Dell have already been on the receiving end of gpl-violations, and were forced to release code for a breach of the gpl before and have more recently been involved in releasing FOSS for their ubuntu based machines so they know what they must do.

there is no room for excuses here anymore, they have no reason not to release the code.

samsung, htc et al can get the source code out within days of the devices being released, there's no reason that Dell should behave any differently.

Edited by fards

Guest sukh singh

what a joke on the phone to them now...put through to a women with a heavy american accent. She does not get what kernal source is at first then asked stupid questions like is it not working? Before her i had to go through that number on the top to sales to tech support which seemed to be in the uk. When i asked him for kernal source he said sure and put me through to tech support in america. They said its 4:32am there and will give me a call in three hours time..I will try and try..

I want meego lol

Guest rebski

I have sent a letter by first class post to Dell’s UK head office requesting the code and reminding that it is an obligation under the GPL to do so.

I have pointedly asked the question whether it is Del’s intention to default on its obligation.

Let's see how they respond.

Guest Shauneh

Surely theres a governing body for use of Linux and the GPL that we can go to about this?

Also is there a time frame that must be adhered for use of Linux where u must release the source?

Thanks,

Shauneh

Guest smokku

Thank you very much for your support and actions.

I updated the first post with new Twitter accounts.

There is also a new link to Dell support forum there. Start a new topic there demanding the sources, and bump the existing ones by "mee too" posts, to gain some more visibility.

I have posted a news of this violation on OSNews and SlashDot http://slashdot.org/submission/1315126/Dell-violates-GPL - let's see whether these will surface up.

Those having accounts on SlashDot could help by voting this news up. :huh:

As for GPL-Violations, I think it's too early. We need to make an effort by ourselves first, before they could take action.

Edited by smokku

Guest smokku
what a joke on the phone to them now...put through to a women with a heavy american accent. She does not get what kernal source is at first then asked stupid questions like is it not working? Before her i had to go through that number on the top to sales to tech support which seemed to be in the uk. When i asked him for kernal source he said sure and put me through to tech support in america. They said its 4:32am there and will give me a call in three hours time..I will try and try..

I want meego lol

Same here. They wanted to transfer me to US, but I objected - "I bought my Streak in UK and want support in UK, not States", so the guy stepped back and said he need to find someone qualified to help me and he's gonna call me back. This was on Friday...

P.S. Now I realized that I should ask him for my case number. This may force him to actually enter my case to the support tracking system.

Edited by smokku