Thoughts on Galaxy S/Fascinate?

Guest cliffco823

Guest cliffco823

I see that Verizon is coming out with the Fascinate which is their version of the Galaxy S. What are your thoughts on this device? Anyone waiting for it? Would you take a chance on another Samsung phone?

Edited by cliffco823

Guest JohnJayJrV
I see that Verizon is coming out with the Fascinate which is their version of the Galaxy S. What are your thoughts on this device? Anyone waiting for it? Would you take a chance on another Samsung phone?

Sad to say but gonna jump ship as soon as I can. My wife just got the Droid 2 and I was messing with the OS and gotta say it's thousand times better then winmo. Sux to say as I've been on a PDA since windows CE.....

jv

I would have to see what people say about the new touchwiz and if it improves the android UI at all, but I don't like how they didn't upgrade the camera or it's missing an hdmi out. So much for samsung putting out the best hardware for the time like the O2 was. I'm not going to be in the market that generation of phones but if I was I'd be looking at on of the moto droids, I'm probably going back to a slide out physical keyboard for my next phone anyways and I'm not sure if samsung will make any more of those.

Guest Omega Ra

I'm not really all that impressed with android...just doesn't seem all that much better than SPB MS. sure it is smoother with better memory management, but other than that it isn't all that big..I am waiting for WP7

edit: though I must say the Hardware of the Galaxy S phones is nice.

Edited by Omega Ra

Guest Snow02

My next handset will have to have hdmi out as a requirement. I love being able to snap video on the lake or at other events, and put it right on the bigscreen w/o having to go through the laptop.

I'm also pretty burned on samsung products after the i920 ram debacle. They do tend to make some very well rounded devices, but the lack of response has led me to vote with my dollar for my next purchase.

This is unfortunate, because the hummingbird chip is best of breed right now. The galaxy s phones have a ton of potential, which is why they're pushing it to all carriers.

I'm still waiting until the first round of wm7 devices to drop in a month or so before I seriously contemplate an upgrade. The connectedness of office 2010 and skydrive (shared docs and live updating = no more emailing revisions) on the pc is already awesome, and I LOVE the depth of exchange integration in winmo. I do a lot of collaborative projects for school and work, and if they get the integration right on wm7, that's going to be the tipping point for me. Quality silverlight integration and the development opportunities that opens up (rich, connected applications, graphically superior games, etc.) are just a bonus.

I can't knock Android's hustle. They're cakin hard right now. But I strongly feel WM7 is going to be a major player, and will likely be my next upgrade. MS isn't playing around anymore. Apple topping their market cap (ignited by the strength of the iphone), winmo market share in the dumps, they've seen the power a quality handset can yield and the extraneous dollars it can generate. Who the hell was buying macs, for real, prior to the iphone release?

I realize I sound like a WM7 fanboy, but from what I've seen, it's going to bring a lot of new functionality to the table.

Sorry for the somewhat off-topic post. I guess my final conclusion on the fascinate is I'm waiting till WM7 phones drop to see, but if you're going to make an android purchase today, the fascinate would be hard to argue against based on the strength of the hardware (basically 1ghz snapdragon with upgraded gpu from what I understand).

why is this in the rom section?? mods shouldve fixed this

There are mods in the i920 section?

Oh an mr forum police officer I believe it is here because this section is where the few cdma omnia owners can no be overwhelmed by the many gsm owners and this topic is about the newest cdma samsung phone, it's not like it's hurting anything.

Edited by bmt10

Guest Mr.DunnDunn
There are mods in the i920 section?

Oh an mr forum police officer I believe it is here because this section is where the few cdma omnia owners can no be overwhelmed by the many gsm owners and this topic is about the newest cdma samsung phone, it's not like it's hurting anything.

always gotta be that 1 smartass to comment.............anyways nobody is "policing" the forums. its just common sense and obviously it doesnt belong on the rom section. thats why there are different areas to post forum noob. its not the point of "hurting" anything its about putting things where they should be. plain and simple.

always gotta be that 1 smartass to comment.............anyways nobody is "policing" the forums. its just common sense and obviously it doesnt belong on the rom section. thats why there are different areas to post forum noob. its not the point of "hurting" anything its about putting things where they should be. plain and simple.

Then why is the android post in the i8000 section? A mod stickied it there yet it's not only not a rom it's for all current omnia phones.

Guest amdzero
i don't see the point of moving this thread to general section. it's all about verizon here.

I think Samsung did an injustice in many areas pertaining to "Omnia". I wish they would have given the Omnia 2 CMDA version a different number entirely, not a seemingly simple update number like i920. I mean come on you got O1 i900, O1(us) i910 and then the O2 i8000, but jump back to i920 for O2(us)? Odd indeed.

At any rate, this "SCH-i920" sub-forum is perfect for i920/Verizon O2 topics. I kind of like the discussions that pertain to the US based omnia 2 over here as I RARELY even look in the "i8000 & Verizon SCH-i920 Omnia II - http://i8000.MoDaCo.com" section for news about i920 specific topics.

Okay well back on topic (how many times can I use the word topic... there it is again!)...

I've been seriously considering a jump to a droid phone, but I don't want to be too hasty. The Galaxy S (VZW) version DOES look appealing with the Super AMOLED display, but I don't think I'll be making that leap of faith. No HDMI output? This isn't 2009 anymore, I mean its almost to the point where you need to develop next years models this year. Kinda like the car industry releasing 2011 vehicles now. I know that those are just numbers but I mean come on, now is NOT the time to fall behind!

Its a shame, as I really DO like Samsung products, I just don't think they are getting it right in the phone department.

Guest Ninja4Hire
I think Samsung did an injustice in many areas pertaining to "Omnia". I wish they would have given the Omnia 2 CMDA version a different number entirely, not a seemingly simple update number like i920. I mean come on you got O1 i900, O1(us) i910 and then the O2 i8000, but jump back to i920 for O2(us)? Odd indeed.

Okay well back on topic (how many times can I use the word topic... there it is again!)...

I've been seriously considering a jump to a droid phone, but I don't want to be too hasty. The Galaxy S (VZW) version DOES look appealing with the Super AMOLED display, but I don't think I'll be making that leap of faith. No HDMI output? This isn't 2009 anymore, I mean its almost to the point where you need to develop next years models this year. Kinda like the car industry releasing 2011 vehicles now. I know that those are just numbers but I mean come on, now is NOT the time to fall behind!

Its a shame, as I really DO like Samsung products, I just don't think they are getting it right in the phone department.

Yeah I think the name change comes down to marketing. For example take the new karate kid movie. Outside of the US it's called the kung fu kid obviously because there is no karate in the entire movie. I'm sure some US marketing geniuses sitting in their fat chairs assumed that the movie would do better if it had a hit already attached to it. Same thing for the omnia 2.

back to your topic....ah I used the word!!! I like android, but I'm still holding out to see what M$ can do. I did however talk one of my Sprint friends into getting the Epic 4g and that phone is straight tits and whistles. It's part of the Galaxy S line, so I assume the others are pretty awesome as well. I agree with AMD though about HDMI out. They do have DLNA, but you can't beat just plugging the phone into your tv. I heard a bird say the Sammy Galaxy tab was coming to Verizon. I might check that out. I think it does have HDMI out via cable.

Edited by Ninja4Hire

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JohnJayJrV

My fellow i920ers. I have jumped ship and am not looking back. Yesterday I went and got the Fascinate and from the little that I have messed with it am very glad that I did. No more lag when switching screens or loading apps (even though the dg23 update did fix touchwiz).

So far the battery has been very good to me. We'll see how long the honeymoon lasts.

jv

My fellow i920ers. I have jumped ship and am not looking back. Yesterday I went and got the Fascinate and from the little that I have messed with it am very glad that I did. No more lag when switching screens or loading apps (even though the dg23 update did fix touchwiz).

So far the battery has been very good to me. We'll see how long the honeymoon lasts.

jv

I'm curious, how does the screen compare with the i920?

Guest Tony AFM

For me, I want android to be in the market for at least 2 more years before I switch. I personally rebel against the iphone model of having apple choose which programs can be sold at their iphone store.

I am looking forward to windows phone 7.

I'm curious, how does the screen compare with the i920?

I dropped by Verizon this weekend specifically to check out the Fascinate. As far as the screen goes, it's slightly larger, brighter and seemed to be a bit sharper than my Omnia 2. The most noticeable thing was that the highlights were cleaner. By comparison, the whites on my O2 looked flat and slightly greenish.

The camera is the same and has all of the cool features like the smile detection and panorama mode, along with some new "gimmicky" features like "Cartoon mode" (it just posterizes the image).

I liked the slim size of the Fascinate, but it felt kinda cheap. I guess I'm just used to the heft and chunkiness of my O2. Overall, it's a really nice, cleaning looking phone that looks a lot like an iPhone 3G at a glance (especially, when it's on the "application" screen).

The biggest beef I have with it is that for some unknown reason, it comes with Bing as the standard (and only) search engine. I use Google almost exclusively, and I was really surprised to see that Bing was on an Android phone. I searched for more info on it, and apparently there's no option of adding other search engines. Weird...

I liked the phone, but I'm REALLY going to miss my stylus when resistive screen phones completely disappear in the very near future. I tried to demo Swype using my finger tip and found it took a lot longer than it does on my O2 with the stylus. I'm 6'2" with large hands, so tapping away on tiny touch screen is a long difficult task without some kind of pointer. Actually, my fiance was really annoyed by the screen because she is used to using her finger nails to type. For both of us, the benefit of "multi-touch" is heavily outweighed by the need for accuracy. I guess I should limit my options to phones with slide out, physical keyboards.

Android / Google = Intrusive Google collection of personal information = NO way

iPhone = Flash and dash with no cash = Great start-up talent with no finish = Nope

(-they innovate but cant keep up with competition once it enters the fray.)

..... Hardware on this fall's models will demolish anything currently available. Never commit before the model year starts.

-Oracle patent infringement suit will handicap or cripple both Android and Apple.

-Samsung got way-laid by jumping in with "widgetry", which was a mistaken attempt to compete with iPhone.

-Winmo7 has invested more $$$ in development than iPhone & Android combined, as well as towards locking up the best hardware and handset mfg that money can buy. NOBODY can afford to spend this kind of money and effort in this economy without results....

(Microsoft Kin ? - Please ! We already know MS can afford to test the competition with failed test attempts.... a useful and cheap business strategy at determining strengths and weaknesses of the market. Learning from this has put thier earnest $$$ into WM7. )

REMAINS to be seen what will shake out. I bet on WM7.

Like Snow02... WM has just been too office-friendly and useful to abandon from inclusion into any handset I own. I can do without all the other 'bells and whistles', however I believe they will certainly follow and be part of WM7.

Edited by teege51

2 words for you, in reply: doesn't equate

!!

LOL while I agree That the Kin is NOT an equivalent to WP7, Microsoft HAS been known to waste money. Ever heard of Microsoft Bob?

According to an article I read several months ago, the Kin was nothing more than a test platform for some of some of WM7's networking features. I'm not sure if I believed it, but author stated that the Kin's ability to instantly share all the user's data with their PC was the feature that would separate WM7 from the competition. It sounded like a pretty expensive "test". I guess we'll see...

LOL while I agree That the Kin is NOT an equivalent to WP7, Microsoft HAS been known to waste money. Ever heard of Microsoft Bob?

Who cares how much money is wasted in failures? Like everyone here, my main interest is in the best product that wins out and becomes dominant, and has the most features and usefulness at a reasonable price....that's all.

The question is: "Is the Galaxy S/Fascinate worth switching to now?"

imho = "nope" (for the reasons mentioned..)