Thoughts on Galaxy S/Fascinate?

Guest cliffco823

Guest JohnJayJrV
I'm curious, how does the screen compare with the i920?

Not much bigger, but the real estate and the brightness are alot better then the i920. Seems like it doesn't affect battery life as well. I get the same battery life, about 8 hours, as I did with the i920. I'm of course using it a little more because its new to me so I don't see why I wouldn't get a full day after the honeymoon is over.....

Very impressed with the OS. Very smooth and things are where they should be. The only thing I miss from the i920 is the task switcher. If I want to get to another app that is currently running I have to start from home screen.....

jv

So I just got back from spending 10 minutes with the Galaxy S (Fascinate) for VZW.

Man I am IMPRESSED! It is soo smooth it's almost painful to watch. It has swipe and the screen is GORGEOUS!

*sigh* how much longer can I hold out with all these badass droids popping up.

Guest Ninja4Hire
So I just got back from spending 10 minutes with the Galaxy S (Fascinate) for VZW.

Man I am IMPRESSED! It is soo smooth it's almost painful to watch. It has swipe and the screen is GORGEOUS!

*sigh* how much longer can I hold out with all these badass droids popping up.

LOL at least wait until this week is over. HTC has a press conference tomorrow, and then Samsung has it's event on Thursday. Who knows what awesomeness awaits!!

LOL at least wait until this week is over. HTC has a press conference tomorrow, and then Samsung has it's event on Thursday. Who knows what awesomeness awaits!!

Don't tempt me!

With all the discussion regarding Verizon offering phone upgrades to O2 owners, I've started seriously shopping around, with the Fascinate and HTC Incredible being at the top of my list. The Incredible seems to be the gold standard for Droid phones, but I really like the camera on the Samsung phones. After doing some more reading, I found a bunch of articles referring to a major issue with the GPS on all Galaxy S phones. Apparently, AGPS is turned off by default, and even when it's activated there are considerable problems getting even a remotely accurate location. Also, the standard GPS takes a long time (sometimes up to 10 minutes) to get a satellite lock and even after it does the lag can make real-time navigation software unreliable. Supposedly, the problem will be fixed with a firmware update when Android 2.2 rolls out.

This got me thinking about the GPS on my O2. Granted, it's MUCH faster establishing a lock than my old i910, but it can still take a while. Also, while the original Omnia would constantly lose satellite reception, the O2 never seems to drop below 6 or 7 links. BUT... I have to wonder if the GPS problems discussed in the Galaxy S forums aren't inherent in all Samsung phones. A months or two ago, I dropped by the Verizon store and was discussing GPS linked search engines with a saleman. He was bragging about the Google search on his Droid (can't remember which one), while I told him that Bing has similar features. He pulled out his phone to do a demo, and it found his location in a matter of seconds. Meanwhile, my O2 took about 5 minutes and made me look like an idiot. At the time, I thought that maybe his phone maintains a satellite link, so it's ready to go any time with a reduced battery life. Now, I wonder if I'm just clueless because all I've had were Samsung phones with faulty GPS receivers and didn't know better. Can anyone confirm if the 1-5 minute satellite lock delay is the norm with most phones?

With all the discussion regarding Verizon offering phone upgrades to O2 owners, I've started seriously shopping around, with the Fascinate and HTC Incredible being at the top of my list. The Incredible seems to be the gold standard for Droid phones, but I really like the camera on the Samsung phones. After doing some more reading, I found a bunch of articles referring to a major issue with the GPS on all Galaxy S phones. Apparently, AGPS is turned off by default, and even when it's activated there are considerable problems getting even a remotely accurate location. Also, the standard GPS takes a long time (sometimes up to 10 minutes) to get a satellite lock and even after it does the lag can make real-time navigation software unreliable. Supposedly, the problem will be fixed with a firmware update when Android 2.2 rolls out.

This got me thinking about the GPS on my O2. Granted, it's MUCH faster establishing a lock than my old i910, but it can still take a while. Also, while the original Omnia would constantly lose satellite reception, the O2 never seems to drop below 6 or 7 links. BUT... I have to wonder if the GPS problems discussed in the Galaxy S forums aren't inherent in all Samsung phones. A months or two ago, I dropped by the Verizon store and was discussing GPS linked search engines with a saleman. He was bragging about the Google search on his Droid (can't remember which one), while I told him that Bing has similar features. He pulled out his phone to do a demo, and it found his location in a matter of seconds. Meanwhile, my O2 took about 5 minutes and made me look like an idiot. At the time, I thought that maybe his phone maintains a satellite link, so it's ready to go any time with a reduced battery life. Now, I wonder if I'm just clueless because all I've had were Samsung phones with faulty GPS receivers and didn't know better. Can anyone confirm if the 1-5 minute satellite lock delay is the norm with most phones?

BEWARE any impromptu comparison testing between the GPS locks on different phones / systems / software !!!

The GPS on phones do NOT (by law) get a direct fix on satellites. simple explanation: http://www.travelbygps.com/articles/tracking.php

There are various ways the service provider (VZW, ATT, Sprint) will triangulate your cell signal to then approximate your location via COMPARISON to GPS locations of the CELL TOWERS. There are many different hardware, software, and proprietary systems used to accomplish this. ALSO, your service provider may not use the same available cell towers as the phone that you are comparing it with, meaning if you did the test at another location the results could be different.

It also does not take into consideration that GPS is NOT always running on a phone, which is also dependent on hardware, software, and the system you're on.

-Additionally, all phones use power saving routines to power down or turn off background features or running apps.

Even if you try to compare both phones by starting up after a battery removals / reinsertions, you might get widely different results depending on all the variables.

The NEW 4G networks and phones should greatly improve this too, as of course your cell signal and bandwidth has a major effect on GPS.

DROID PROBLEMS? !! : Just 'google' android 2.2 problems....and you'll get endless pages of faults, complaints, and problems, similar to what you mention here and more.

The NOOSE is tightening among cellphones and systems...ALL newer phones will certainly have to address these problems, and SADLY: It usually turns out that the hardware has to be upgraded because the "fixes" cobble the performance or cause other conflicts..

Edited by teege51

BEWARE any impromptu comparison testing between the GPS locks on different phones / systems / software !!!

The GPS on phones do NOT (by law) get a direct fix on satellites. simple explanation: http://www.travelbygps.com/articles/tracking.php

There are various ways the service provider (VZW, ATT, Sprint) will triangulate your cell signal to then approximate your location via COMPARISON to GPS locations of the CELL TOWERS. There are many different hardware, software, and proprietary systems used to accomplish this. ALSO, your service provider may not use the same available cell towers as the phone that you are comparing it with, meaning if you did the test at another location the results could be different.

It also does not take into consideration that GPS is NOT always running on a phone, which is also dependant on hardware, software, and the system you're on.

-Additionally, all phones use power saving routines to power down or turn off background features or running apps.

Even if you try to compare both phones by starting up after a battery removals / reinsertions, you might get widely different results depending on all the variables.

The NEW 4G networks and phones should greatly improve this too, as of course your cell signal and bandwidth has a major effect on GPS.

DROID PROBLEMS? !! : Just 'google' android 2.2 problems....and you'll get endless pages of faults, complaints, and problems, similar to what you mention here and more.

The NOOSE is tightening among cellphones and systems...ALL newer phones will certainly have to address these problems, and SADLY: It usually turns out that the hardware has to be upgraded because the "fixes" cobble the performance or cause other conflicts..

I'm not sure I agree with everything you said.

for instance my O1 still gets a GPS lock in under 5 minutes and it doesn't have cellular service. The GPS works independently now that it isn't on any network.

I will agree that your location on the planet and interference has a big part in your synchronization.

I'm not sure I agree with everything you said.

for instance my O1 still gets a GPS lock in under 5 minutes and it doesn't have cellular service. The GPS works independently now that it isn't on any network.

I will agree that your location on the planet and interference has a big part in your synchronization.

- You can get data via the background cell information whether your phone has service or not, just as you can dial 911 and "O".

Try disabling your cell radio connection on that O1, and see if u still get a GPS fix.

Edited by teege51

- You're getting the data via the background cell data whether your phone has service or not, just as you can dial 911 and "O".

Try disabling your cell radio connection on that O1, and you'll get no GPS fix because there is no GPS receiver in these phones.

I'm going to agree with amdzero on this one. If the phone truly lacked a GPS receiver, why could I maintain a solid navigation signal with Garmin XT while I drove through the mountains of West Virginia where I can't catch even a hint of a cellular signal? Garmin clearly shows the number of satellites linked and the signal strength of each.

Don't get too excited about windows 7 if you wanna stick with VZW...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/16/verizon...e-7-until-2011/

Yeah saw that... I love my O2, but really liking some of the new features (and certainly speed) of the recent lineup... Was hoping for a Windows 7 offering near term to balance my thinking, but that looks like a pipe dream... :-(

Guest Tony AFM

On the gps question issue. I happen to have a Holux Bluetooth GPS reciever and I use CoPilot Live 8 for my primary GPS software. With that combination, I get a signal lock in about 30 to 45 seconds. When I use the internal GPS - I get a signal lock in 2 min 55 sec.

Both tests were done in front of my house, in my car in the driveway.

I highly recommend the Bluetooth gps receiver from Holux, particularly if location accuracy is important. I have yet to loose a gps fix once acquired.

Tony

Guest urphonesux

on the omnia 2 the best way i have found to get a lock is to just open google maps and put the phone down for a minute when i pick it back up its always locked with a VERY strong signal in garmin mobile.

other than that i could start the smart configurator and start the gps from there but thats the same thing as just opening google maps, right?

and sometimes not always but sometimes i can just toggle the backlight off and on and the gps will be locked.

However i must say that the night i beat the droid 1's gps was from a cold start. we had been sitting in the restaurant with my phone in my pocket. We went outside and took pictures and then everyone asked me to find the party using my "superphone" not knowing that i had since upgraded to the omnia 2, so of course he had to try to compete especially hearing that my phone was a winmo phone. That night i held my phone in my hand from a cold start and got a lock faster than his supposedly better droid 1. i even told him that his phone "should've won" and his reply was that i type faster. maybe, maybe not

I had a droid 1's gps make my omnia 1 look stupid one morning in front of everyone at work. My boss locked instantly and it took me maybe 10 mins to get a lock. By the time i locked the meeting was over...............

thanks for the info AMDzero im gonna install igo on my girl's boomi3 ( my old omnia 1 that is now her portable media/wifi center)now since it doesnt require a data plan i believe

off topic but, also i didnt even know they had a kin 2?

Edited by urphonesux

I was out an about today, and decided to stop in the local VZW store to check out the latest uberphone, the Fascinate. I wasn't expecting much based on my experience with the Omnia II (you know - looks great on the spec sheet, but is severley hobbled)

All I can say is WOW! This thing runs so smoothly, I almost couldn't believe it. Swiping from one screen to another is instantaneous. Apps load immediately - no lag at all. No spinning gear to mask the fact that the program is taking so long to load up. The screen was gorgeous, and it is THIN. The only thing that didn't impress me was the feel of the back/battery cover. Cheap and plasticky. Also, I kinda wish it had stereo speakers like our i920's.

The demo model didn't have any movies on it, so I couldn't try one out - but with the clarity, sharpness and brightness of that super amoled display, I've gotta believe they'd look fantastic.

The Droid X and Droid Incredible next to it seemed laggy by comparison. Sliding to the next screen was clunky and jumpy. Apps seemed to load just a hair more slowly. (And I hate that hump on the back of the X) Samsung may have just done it right this time.

Edited by tedkord

Guest jezze boi
I was out an about today, and decided to stop in the local VZW store to check out the latest uberphone, the Fascinate. I wasn't expecting much based on my experience with the Omnia II (you know - looks great on the spec sheet, but is severley hobbled)

All I can say is WOW! This thing runs so smoothly, I almost couldn't believe it. Swiping from one screen to another is instantaneous. Apps load immediately - no lag at all. No spinning gear to mask the fact that the program is taking so long to load up. The screen was gorgeous, and it is THIN. The only thing that didn't impress me was the feel of he back/battery cover. Cheap and plasticky. Also, I kinda wish it had stereo speakers like our i920's.

The demo model didn't have any movies on it, so I couldn't try one out - but with the clarity, sharpness and brightness of that super amoled display, I've gotta believe they'd look fantastic.

The Droid X and Droid Incredible next to it seemed laggy by comparison. Sliding to the next screen was clunky and jumpy. Apps seemed to load just a hair more slowly. (And I hate that hump on the back of the X) Samsung my have just done it right this time.

I would agree with you

Switched to the Samsung Fascinate last tuesday... and do NOT want to go back to WinMo ever again

everything is so smooth and fast.. and amazing.. and thousands of apps!

one thing i do miss about the i920 is slo-mo video recording and playback (like on Core Player)

however... i got over it with HD video recording and playback(:

everything looks so nice

got need for speed Shift on it... and can't stop playing it

the quality and speed are just too great

the animations liven up the phone

i don't mind bing being there... it's alright

my uncle has a Droid X and i've compared them

when i used the Droid X, i wondered why it lagged so much and feared the same would be with the Fascinate

my apologies... i could go on and on about my experiences...

MicDroid is pretty fun (auto-tune app)

touchwiz 3.0 is kind of laggy and too much of an OSX imitation

LauncherPro is a good home screen replacement and 10x as smooth as touchwiz

there is a task-switcher-like action

when holding down the home button, a small window pops up with the 6 most recently used apps

there is also a button on that window for the task manager

there are also task switcher apps to download in the market

the fascinate is said to be the fastest phone on the market yet! (beyond Nexus with Froyo) after a lag fix file is applied

it more than doubles in speed! and it is very noticeable

it's so light and thin... and the microSD is easier to remove than the i920 one (you get a 16gb with the phone)

once again... sorry for the long post...

Edited by jezze boi

I saw this on engadget, I may join you!

But WTF is with Samsung and the odd ram amounts? 384mb? Why not add the extra 128mb and go with a full 512mb?

And is it all really there, our will we find out there's really only 220mb?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/30/exclusi...e-the-displays/

I really like the look of this continuum, dual stereo speakers on the back like our O2s, accessible card sot, and a dedicated camera button!

Memory I don't think I mind as much as I used to, especially since it's running the newer more memory efficient android as opposed to outdated winmo. I don't think putting the "ticker" at the bottom of the screen was the best idea though I would place it at the top but that's just my oppinion.

Though I just bet it will come out that they still have a 5mp camera on it and no tv out...

Edited by bmt10

Guest amdzero
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/30/exclusi...e-the-displays/

I really like the look of this continuum, dual stereo speakers on the back like our O2s, accessible card sot, and a dedicated camera button!

Memory I don't think I mind as much as I used to, especially since it's running the newer more memory efficient android as opposed to outdated winmo. I don't think putting the "ticker" at the bottom of the screen was the best idea though I would place it at the top but that's just my oppinion.

Though I just bet it will come out that they still have a 5mp camera on it and no tv out...

I'm just curious, how often do you "USE" the tv out feature?

I'm just curious, how often do you "USE" the tv out feature?

It's easier than moving my laptop close enough to the tv to reach the hdmi cord, I used to just use linux on my ps3 for that but sony screwed that up in their paranoid "security" campaign.

Guest amdzero
I got excited about this for a second... but other reports suggest this will only have a 3.2" screen on it, with the second screen totaling about 3.7... but spread across the two

http://www-bgr-com.vimg.net/wp-content/upl...continuum01.jpg

wow looking at that picture, it sure looks ugly. Why do we need to screens exaclty? Its not like it would be all that worth it. The only thing I can think of that is portable and worth 2 screens is the Nintendo DS® series.

Edited by amdzero

Aside from the obvious bulk, I thought the two screens are a pretty cool idea. It frees up real estate on the main screen without having to use pop-ups, and I'm sure that it gets a longer battery life with the "ticker" screen displaying updates instead of the main screen.