50 replies to this topic

jezze boi

jezze boi

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Devices:Omnia i920 and i910

I was out an about today, and decided to stop in the local VZW store to check out the latest uberphone, the Fascinate. I wasn't expecting much based on my experience with the Omnia II (you know - looks great on the spec sheet, but is severley hobbled)

All I can say is WOW! This thing runs so smoothly, I almost couldn't believe it. Swiping from one screen to another is instantaneous. Apps load immediately - no lag at all. No spinning gear to mask the fact that the program is taking so long to load up. The screen was gorgeous, and it is THIN. The only thing that didn't impress me was the feel of he back/battery cover. Cheap and plasticky. Also, I kinda wish it had stereo speakers like our i920's.

The demo model didn't have any movies on it, so I couldn't try one out - but with the clarity, sharpness and brightness of that super amoled display, I've gotta believe they'd look fantastic.

The Droid X and Droid Incredible next to it seemed laggy by comparison. Sliding to the next screen was clunky and jumpy. Apps seemed to load just a hair more slowly. (And I hate that hump on the back of the X) Samsung my have just done it right this time.

I would agree with you
Switched to the Samsung Fascinate last tuesday... and do NOT want to go back to WinMo ever again
everything is so smooth and fast.. and amazing.. and thousands of apps!
one thing i do miss about the i920 is slo-mo video recording and playback (like on Core Player)
however... i got over it with HD video recording and playback(:
everything looks so nice
got need for speed Shift on it... and can't stop playing it
the quality and speed are just too great
the animations liven up the phone
i don't mind bing being there... it's alright
my uncle has a Droid X and i've compared them
when i used the Droid X, i wondered why it lagged so much and feared the same would be with the Fascinate

my apologies... i could go on and on about my experiences...
MicDroid is pretty fun (auto-tune app)
touchwiz 3.0 is kind of laggy and too much of an OSX imitation
LauncherPro is a good home screen replacement and 10x as smooth as touchwiz
there is a task-switcher-like action
when holding down the home button, a small window pops up with the 6 most recently used apps
there is also a button on that window for the task manager
there are also task switcher apps to download in the market

the fascinate is said to be the fastest phone on the market yet! (beyond Nexus with Froyo) after a lag fix file is applied
it more than doubles in speed! and it is very noticeable
it's so light and thin... and the microSD is easier to remove than the i920 one (you get a 16gb with the phone)

once again... sorry for the long post...

Edited by jezze boi, 24 September 2010 - 04:08 AM.

cliffco823

cliffco823

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia
Now the Continuum.... If this doesn't have the "Bing" lock I may jump ship.

Boy Genuis

Speak up! Speak now! Speak loud!
-8 2 3

amdzero

amdzero

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Devices:i920 Omnia 2

Now the Continuum.... If this doesn't have the "Bing" lock I may jump ship.

Boy Genuis

I saw this on engadget, I may join you!

tedkord

tedkord

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Devices:SCH-i920

I saw this on engadget, I may join you!

But WTF is with Samsung and the odd ram amounts? 384mb? Why not add the extra 128mb and go with a full 512mb?

And is it all really there, our will we find out there's really only 220mb?

Samsung Omnia II SCH-i920 with AMDZero's DG21 ZeroSense ROM

bmt10

bmt10

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Devices:Omnia II i920
http://www.engadget....e-the-displays/

I really like the look of this continuum, dual stereo speakers on the back like our O2s, accessible card sot, and a dedicated camera button!

Memory I don't think I mind as much as I used to, especially since it's running the newer more memory efficient android as opposed to outdated winmo. I don't think putting the "ticker" at the bottom of the screen was the best idea though I would place it at the top but that's just my oppinion.

Though I just bet it will come out that they still have a 5mp camera on it and no tv out...

Edited by bmt10, 01 October 2010 - 12:36 AM.

amdzero

amdzero

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

http://www.engadget....e-the-displays/

I really like the look of this continuum, dual stereo speakers on the back like our O2s, accessible card sot, and a dedicated camera button!

Memory I don't think I mind as much as I used to, especially since it's running the newer more memory efficient android as opposed to outdated winmo. I don't think putting the "ticker" at the bottom of the screen was the best idea though I would place it at the top but that's just my oppinion.

Though I just bet it will come out that they still have a 5mp camera on it and no tv out...

I'm just curious, how often do you "USE" the tv out feature?

bmt10

bmt10

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Devices:Omnia II i920

I'm just curious, how often do you "USE" the tv out feature?

It's easier than moving my laptop close enough to the tv to reach the hdmi cord, I used to just use linux on my ps3 for that but sony screwed that up in their paranoid "security" campaign.

pw-man

pw-man

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Devices:Samsung I730
I got excited about this for a second... but other reports suggest this will only have a 3.2" screen on it, with the second screen totaling about 3.7... but spread across the two

http://www-bgr-com.v...continuum01.jpg

amdzero

amdzero

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

I got excited about this for a second... but other reports suggest this will only have a 3.2" screen on it, with the second screen totaling about 3.7... but spread across the two

http://www-bgr-com.v...continuum01.jpg

wow looking at that picture, it sure looks ugly. Why do we need to screens exaclty? Its not like it would be all that worth it. The only thing I can think of that is portable and worth 2 screens is the Nintendo DS® series.

Edited by amdzero, 01 October 2010 - 07:01 PM.

ED2O9

ED2O9

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
Aside from the obvious bulk, I thought the two screens are a pretty cool idea. It frees up real estate on the main screen without having to use pop-ups, and I'm sure that it gets a longer battery life with the "ticker" screen displaying updates instead of the main screen.

pw-man

pw-man

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Devices:Samsung I730

wow looking at that picture, it sure looks ugly. Why do we need to screens exaclty? Its not like it would be all that worth it. The only thing I can think of that is portable and worth 2 screens is the Nintendo DS® series.

Agree... further info suggests this will be more of a lower end phone not a high end replacement for the galaxy s series... so who knows... I have thought probably 20 times about getting the fascinate, mostly for the speed and little better screen... but I am spooked by the GPS and call quality issues I have read about and also the jump to Android (as a 8+ year WM guy)...

My O2 with NinjaToday ROM is holding its own!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users