Photo

07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

• Please log in to reply
2559 replies to this topic

da.sch

da.sch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire
  • Twitter:@none

I would recommend switching to LeeDrOiD. I did a while back and see no reason to switch back. It's as fast as MCR was and has been incredibly stable for me (I haven't restarted my phone in over a month).

Hi Alex,

so you are saying that you don't even have problems with your browser when you are surfing for a long time, even using pages which include flash? This is strange as I have also switched to LeeDroid and am experiencing the same problems I have described above with the ROM FR9 and FR11 from this site.

TheUntouchable

TheUntouchable

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Switched to CoolSense HD (http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=899943) and i see no reason for switching back too.

Bye bye modaco :)

Edited by TheUntouchable, 18 April 2011 - 07:57 PM.

tigris666

tigris666

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

I would recommend switching to LeeDrOiD. I did a while back and see no reason to switch back. It's as fast as MCR was and has been incredibly stable for me (I haven't restarted my phone in over a month).

LeeDroid is great, if you don't mind having all the stock apps on your phone. Personally I prefer modaco kitchen ability to remove the crap apps i never use (friendstream, peep etc). Yes I know you can adb in and delete them manually, but I don't really want to learn how to do that, nor have to do it every time I flash a new leedroid rom on. Much rather just click a box or 2 on modaco and have my nice clean rom with no crap apps.

djkaija

djkaija

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

There is a Gingerbread Bravo leak on XDA - http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1035402

Thanks for tip: I've flashed the Gingerbread Villain - stable, camera works(!) - no problems (so far!) Only 'downer' is lack of HTC sync for contacts but found an app that syncs phone contacts then to to Outlook - one extra step in sync process but nothing major.

ShirazS

ShirazS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

LeeDroid is great, if you don't mind having all the stock apps on your phone. Personally I prefer modaco kitchen ability to remove the crap apps i never use (friendstream, peep etc). Yes I know you can adb in and delete them manually, but I don't really want to learn how to do that, nor have to do it every time I flash a new leedroid rom on. Much rather just click a box or 2 on modaco and have my nice clean rom with no crap apps.

You could use QtADB, there is nothing easier. You launch the app, plug your phone in and literally right-click on each app you do not like, then click uninstall.

ShirazS

ShirazS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Thanks for tip: I've flashed the Gingerbread Villain - stable, camera works(!) - no problems (so far!) Only 'downer' is lack of HTC sync for contacts but found an app that syncs phone contacts then to to Outlook - one extra step in sync process but nothing major.

I meant that there was an HTC sense Gingerbread leak but AOSP is good too! :)

djkaija

djkaija

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

I meant that there was an HTC sense Gingerbread leak but AOSP is good too! :)

No idea what AOSP is mate... I should but I don't. :)

David Szabo

David Szabo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

No idea what AOSP is mate... I should but I don't. :)

Android Open Source Project. It's not an official release for Desire, but it's modified to work (usually better than the official releases :) )

Paul the Cman

Paul the Cman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Desire
I've a wierd issue with FR11 - using app2sd+ for non-widget apps installed. After running several apps in a short period of time when I come out of those apps I get the white HTC screen and then sense seems to reload and takes a while. The phone gets very slow responsiveness for a long period. Power off and on gets things back to normal but I don't get why it seems that sense may be unloaded from memory and reloaded when coming back out of an app.

bpivk

bpivk

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire (SLCD)

The phone gets very slow responsiveness for a long period. Power off and on gets things back to normal but I don't get why it seems that sense may be unloaded from memory and reloaded when coming back out of an app.

Are you by any chance forcing the apps to install to SD?
Because the behavior you're describing is exactly what happens if you use a2sd and force the apps to install to sd with Spare Parts or via adb and the command "pm setInstallLocation 2".

If that's not the case then it could be some app that's messing the things up. You did wipe your phone before flashing?

Edited by bpivk, 19 April 2011 - 04:17 PM.

★ Device 1: Samsung Galaxy S2 ☆ Android Version: 2.3 ★
★ Device 2: ACER Iconia A500 tablet PC ☆ Android Version: 3.1 ☆ OS: My personal HC rom based on Stock 3.1 HC ★

djkaija

djkaija

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

You could use QtADB, there is nothing easier. You launch the app, plug your phone in and literally right-click on each app you do not like, then click uninstall.

Does that include apps like the stock browser and sms app for example? I use Dolphin HD and Handcent not the stock one. Thanks.

Edited by djkaija, 20 April 2011 - 10:45 PM.

ShirazS

ShirazS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Does that include apps like the stock browser and sms app for example? I use Dolphin HD and Handcent not the stock one. Thanks.

Yeah, for the stock apps, just select the "System Applications" dropdown and you can uninstall any of it.

bpivk

bpivk

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire (SLCD)

I suggest that you keep both apps. Some apps use the stock browser to show help and don't even ask you which browser you're using if you have more than one installed. So I had some problems with removing that app.
As for stock sms app... It's not recommended. You could have problems retrieving SMS and MMS.

★ Device 1: Samsung Galaxy S2 ☆ Android Version: 2.3 ★
★ Device 2: ACER Iconia A500 tablet PC ☆ Android Version: 3.1 ☆ OS: My personal HC rom based on Stock 3.1 HC ★

djkaija

djkaija

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

I suggest that you keep both apps. Some apps use the stock browser to show help and don't even ask you which browser you're using if you have more than one installed. So I had some problems with removing that app.
As for stock sms app... It's not recommended. You could have problems retrieving SMS and MMS.

OK - thanks for your time and advice.

djkaija

djkaija

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Yeah, for the stock apps, just select the "System Applications" dropdown and you can uninstall any of it.

Thanks Shiraz - I've done a nandroid backup so might give it a go although apparently it might not be a great idea.

ShirazS

ShirazS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Thanks Shiraz - I've done a nandroid backup so might give it a go although apparently it might not be a great idea.

Yeah, I don't see any benefit in removing system apps either as you're not going to be able to use the space gained. As far as I know, once you've flashed a ROM, you cannot install apps to the system partition.

djkaija

djkaija

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Yeah, I don't see any benefit in removing system apps either as you're not going to be able to use the space gained. As far as I know, once you've flashed a ROM, you cannot install apps to the system partition.

It isn't to use or gain any more space - just irritating when I have to chose which app to use each time I want to reply to a text or use my browser (even after ticking which one should be used as default, the phone keeps 'forgetting' which one the default is) I can live with it... also missing having Friendstream app as per Paul's ROMs) and HTC sync :)/

qbus

qbus

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Devices:HTC One X

You need to S-Off your device and then resize partition (there's a thread on XDA in Desire DEV section with instruction how to do that). This way you can shrink SYSTEM partition and extend DATA.
This is how I've done and now I don't need to bother with app2sd anymore.

Beaver6813

Beaver6813

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I've a wierd issue with FR11 - using app2sd+ for non-widget apps installed. After running several apps in a short period of time when I come out of those apps I get the white HTC screen and then sense seems to reload and takes a while. The phone gets very slow responsiveness for a long period. Power off and on gets things back to normal but I don't get why it seems that sense may be unloaded from memory and reloaded when coming back out of an app.

It's because you're running out of memory. It's doing it on mine (running a baked rom) at the moment and I can't find a solution with it, memorys fine when the phone loads (around 120mb spare) and then quickly drains to around 20-30mb. It closes the launcher as its a background task when you're not on it to to try and free memory. I'm thinking about switching to another ROM, LeeDroid or like just because they appear to be more stable.

djkaija

djkaija

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

You need to S-Off your device and then resize partition (there's a thread on XDA in Desire DEV section with instruction how to do that). This way you can shrink SYSTEM partition and extend DATA.
This is how I've done and now I don't need to bother with app2sd anymore.

Eeek.. steering clear... too scary... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users