JPC - who's using it?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest unfnknblvbl

Yes, I'm running it too. It's quite nice, and an improvement on JP3 (I reverted to JG5 after a week or so of that). I'd still much rather be using a stock Android with a couple of the Touchwiz enhancements. Notably the screenshot app and the pulldown quick settings. Everything else can get lost.

Guest TripleM

right now, i'm using JM7, whith the following mod and the OneClick lagfix APK. i'ts running smoothly, no problems (yet :P ) and the last Quadrant score is 2168.

before that, i tried your version of the JP3 whith clockwork, etc, but i wasn't able to flash any update.zip files via the recovery which got a little annoying :)

i'd be thrilled, to see a working pre-rooted JPC rom though :(

Edited by TripleM

Guest ragflan

Paul, installed JPC today. Very nice. Very smooth without lagfix. But with the OneClickLagFix in the market, JPC seems every smoother. It is finally starting to feel like a 1Ghz Android phone should. Installation is very quick (for market apps I mean). GPS seems much better. But overall the phone feels much smoother.

Guest ragflan
right now, i'm using JM7, whith the following mod. i'ts running smoothly and without problems.

before that, i tried your version of the JP3 whith clockwork, etc, but i wasn't able to flash any update.zip files via the recovery which got a little annoying :P

i'd be thrilled, to see a working pre-rooted JPC rom though :)

Rooting the JPC rom isn't complex. The steps are very straightforward. Flash i9000_Kernel as PDA using ODIN with auto-reboot OFF. Pull battery after flashing. Flash the update.zip file from recovery. Pull battery after flashing. Flash I9000XXJPC_KERNEL as PDA using ODIN with auto-reboot on. Done. Whole process takes not 2 minutes.

Files and steps for rooting: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=769308

Paul, don't worry about providing a pre-rooted JPC rom. Don't think there's anything much to work on the JPC rom either, but you would know better. Hope DistoredLoop can shed some light on the JPC rom. He's been providing the most informative posts on the Galaxy S firmwares.

Edited by ragflan

Guest TripleM
Rooting the JPC rom isn't complex. The steps are very straightforward. Flash i9000_Kernel as PDA using ODIN with auto-reboot OFF. Pull battery after flashing. Flash the update.zip file from recovery. Pull battery after flashing. Flash I9000XXJPC_KERNEL as PDA using ODIN with auto-reboot on. Done. Whole process takes not 2 minutes.

Files and steps for rooting: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=769308

Paul, don't worry about providing a pre-rooted JPC rom. Don't think there's anything much to work on the JPC rom either, but you would know better.

i know, i tried that, but the reovery (clockwork, included in the JP3 release) wasn't able to mount my sd card, so i just reverted to a non beta, non froyo firmware and i'm having no problems yet.

Edited by TripleM

Guest sohlo71

my sgs runns on JPC witout lagfix or eny els and it works,

its my phone on work, ans so far no probs,

battery maybe a little bit,

with calls, sms and sometimes use internet max 24hours.

then i shoud be charge it.

Guest SpruceyB
Froyo JPC is on Samsung Firmwares now... anyone running it?

http://www.samfirmware.com/WEBPROTECT-i9000.htm

P

I've had it on a while now, and I'm really liking it, not noticed any problems (except for a minor bug in Swype capitalizing 2 words instead of 1).

GPS even seems better than before, still not great but a step in the right direction.

Finally really enjoying using this phone.

Guest gnasher666

Been using it for a while now and I like it. Haven't found a need to apply any lag fix as it is mostly ok.

I do get a few FC's and I've had an issue where the radio stopped working and had to reboot the phone (which then got stuck in a boot loop - go figure, had to reflash and all ok again)

Internet FC's occasionally as do a few apps but I'm making it sound a lot more unstable than it actually is.

Guest ragflan

Paul, as per one of your early tweets about Galaxy S, the SetCPU thing still applies. Using it and setting the scaling to Performance or OnDemand gives much better performance. The default still is Conservative.

Guest Andrew Luecke

At this point of time, decided not to use it. I'm going to simply wait until Froyo final is released. There isn't anything from Froyo I desperately need, and I'd rather wait than risk lessor stability

Been using it 1 day, here is the report:

used root from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=769308

The native email app does not allow me to reply to html emails in exchange account, simply sends empty reply.

speed is much better don't feel a need for lag fix

clockwork recovery is broken and reinstalling it doesn't work, other root based apps are fine.

task management is much better.

samsung keyboard is much better with a little apple like cursor that lets you easily move back letters to correct mistakes (life saver)

usb settings (kies/mass storage etc') is gone from its usual place in "about phone"

quadrant results however flawed are better than eclair, linpack is a disappointing 13-14 compared to my N1 with 40.

camera auto focus quality is nice.

all in all, a worthwhile upgrade so far.

Guest adnan.htc.desire

I use it for two days.. its a very nice rom, betther then jp3, very smooth whitout lagfix, i like it really but i go back to jp3 again, there in jpc is a bug whit the e-mail app, im not able to replay on e-mails.. the receiver get allways a empty e-mail back.. its really a BIG bug for me! but otherwise, the rom is great! im not sure, is it possible to replace the e-mail app from jpc whit a one from jp3? should this fix the problem?

Guest mirox3m
I use it for two days.. its a very nice rom, betther then jp3, very smooth whitout lagfix, i like it really but i go back to jp3 again, there in jpc is a bug whit the e-mail app, im not able to replay on e-mails.. the receiver get allways a empty e-mail back.. its really a BIG bug for me! but otherwise, the rom is great! im not sure, is it possible to replace the e-mail app from jpc whit a one from jp3? should this fix the problem?

No need to use this app. I have imported my 3 company emails in gmail. In this case everything is in one place and you use gmail's storage and spam protection. The only problem is that there is a delay of up to 30 minutes in receiveng the emails.

I'm using JPC since one week. Coming from JM5 I had to wipe completely my data prior to upgrade, to avoid apps crashing.

Applied One-click lag fix from market with max space (1,5Gb), then noticed an increasing lag so uninstalled and reapplied lagfix with 1Gb space. Now it seems better, however I installed autokiller too and set it to Aggressive mode.

All in all is a average ROM, pity that FroYo still missing an app like Clockwork ROM Manager, maybe good Paul will help us.

However I must point out that previous ROMs were noticeably faster.

Waiting for FroYo final, hoping that it'll come in September.

Guest adnan.htc.desire
No need to use this app. I have imported my 3 company emails in gmail. In this case everything is in one place and you use gmail's storage and spam protection. The only problem is that there is a delay of up to 30 minutes in receiveng the emails.

but you have in this case the same issue? ok, its a workaround, but it cant be a fix solution. connectivity whit the exchange is very important. ok, its only a inofficial rom, so its not a big thing, but im little bit frustrated while i cant use it whit this bug. the rom self in other points feels for me much better than jp3.

Guest sungshing
I'm using JPC since one week. Coming from JM5 I had to wipe completely my data prior to upgrade, to avoid apps crashing.

Applied One-click lag fix from market with max space (1,5Gb), then noticed an increasing lag so uninstalled and reapplied lagfix with 1Gb space. Now it seems better, however I installed autokiller too and set it to Aggressive mode.

All in all is a average ROM, pity that FroYo still missing an app like Clockwork ROM Manager, maybe good Paul will help us.

However I must point out that previous ROMs were noticeably faster.

Waiting for FroYo final, hoping that it'll come in September.

autokill or the default task manager clear memory button is causing serious lag and memory loss on my i9000. in just 2 day the available memory drops to 30M and the response time is unbearable..had to do a factory reset, and phone is ok again. as soon as I start using the Clear Memory button again, available memory is dropping ...each time i clear memory 10-20M went missing..did factory reset again and use for a couple of day without using any task killer and memory cleaning function..memory stay above 200M and speed fast and smooth..

Yeah, I have a version which ClockworkMod works on that i'll be releasing soon.

P

Thats good to know :P

I am looking to upgrade my phone from JM3 hopefully froyo rom. I have too many apps and even Titanium backup will take a while lol.

Guest tameracingdriver

I'll be in the minority then in saying JPC was rubbish.

Noticeably slower and crashed far more often than previous eclair firmwares, I'm really wondering why this gets the praise it does.

I flashed it twice, making sure to wipe everything and start from fresh, do all of the factory resets folks recommended. Ultimately though it was sluggish and clunky, even with the lag fix, and it was as unstable as the original firmware on the phone, maybe worse.

I'm now on JM7 and that is FAR superior.

I've got to wonder where all the praise for JPC comes from, but for me, on my phone it was utter s*** TBH. Although not an expert, I'd like to think I was experienced enough in flashing my phone by now to know that I wasn't doing anything wrong here either... and since the likes of JM7 worked perfectly from the bat seems to confirm it.

Definitely a case of "the emperors new clothes" for me.

Guest ragflan
I'll be in the minority then in saying JPC was rubbish.

Noticeably slower and crashed far more often than previous eclair firmwares, I'm really wondering why this gets the praise it does.

I flashed it twice, making sure to wipe everything and start from fresh, do all of the factory resets folks recommended. Ultimately though it was sluggish and clunky, even with the lag fix, and it was as unstable as the original firmware on the phone, maybe worse.

I'm now on JM7 and that is FAR superior.

I've got to wonder where all the praise for JPC comes from, but for me, on my phone it was utter s*** TBH. Although not an expert, I'd like to think I was experienced enough in flashing my phone by now to know that I wasn't doing anything wrong here either... and since the likes of JM7 worked perfectly from the bat seems to confirm it.

Definitely a case of "the emperors new clothes" for me.

JPC is a Froyo firmware. I'm using it now without the OneClickLagFix and I must say it's very stable. Yes I notice a little slow down here and there but overall the phone is much better on JPC. Paul, above all things, the SetCPU is the one that's ultimately making the most difference. Just changing it to Performance on my device makes it run really smooth without any lag fixes at all. But still, doesn't feel as smooth as Desire did. Paul, if possible, check Doc's Rommod JPC ROM. He's made a few changes (font and notification bar notably) which make the Galaxy S look aesthetically very pleasing. (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=769374)

Edited by ragflan