Unable to update google maps on R8!

Guest Vulpix

Guest wcymodaco

I posted the message below in the R8 thread but realised I should be posting here since this thread is specific to the Google Maps problem for R8 and there may be other people reading here that may offer me help. So here it is again, and sorry for the duplicate post.

"

I just rebaked an R8 ROM to update Google Maps since I could not get it to install from market. Google Maps runs ok on the newly installed ROM.

Now that I have the latest Google Maps 4.5.0 from your custom ROM, I am still having a problem downloading Street View for Google Maps. It downloads ok but then says install unsuccessful in the notification bar.

When I search for Google Maps on market, there is a button asking me to install, which implies that Google Maps is not recognised as being already installed in my phone. When I click to install Google Maps, just like Street View, it says downloaded but the installation unsuccessful. No other error messages.

I need to get this resolved in order to update Google Maps and related apps properly. Would it work if I rebaked another ROM without Google Maps and then install Google Maps from market. Or is it likely going to tell me install unsuccessful again?

& I hope I do not have to wipe my entire phone just to get Google Maps properly updated because of some error in your custom ROM before this. This Google Maps problem is starting to get annoying.

I have read the Google Maps problem threads on this forum and I am still confused as to what it is I am supposed to be doing to get it to update correctly. Please clear up this confusion for me. Thank you."

Guest The Virus 2013
I posted the message below in the R8 thread but realised I should be posting here since this thread is specific to the Google Maps problem for R8 and there may be other people reading here that may offer me help. So here it is again, and sorry for the duplicate post.

"

I just rebaked an R8 ROM to update Google Maps since I could not get it to install from market. Google Maps runs ok on the newly installed ROM.

Now that I have the latest Google Maps 4.5.0 from your custom ROM, I am still having a problem downloading Street View for Google Maps. It downloads ok but then says install unsuccessful in the notification bar.

When I search for Google Maps on market, there is a button asking me to install, which implies that Google Maps is not recognised as being already installed in my phone. When I click to install Google Maps, just like Street View, it says downloaded but the installation unsuccessful. No other error messages.

I need to get this resolved in order to update Google Maps and related apps properly. Would it work if I rebaked another ROM without Google Maps and then install Google Maps from market. Or is it likely going to tell me install unsuccessful again?

& I hope I do not have to wipe my entire phone just to get Google Maps properly updated because of some error in your custom ROM before this. This Google Maps problem is starting to get annoying.

I have read the Google Maps problem threads on this forum and I am still confused as to what it is I am supposed to be doing to get it to update correctly. Please clear up this confusion for me. Thank you."

I just install the latest R9 with full wipe and no more problem. anyway, it's not so long with Titanium...

Guest wcymodaco
I just install the latest R9 with full wipe and no more problem. anyway, it's not so long with Titanium...

Having to do a full wipe is a wrong approach to solving the problem. The problem is created by Paul's custom rom, so he should be able to help provide a practical fix.

Restoring all apps and data using titanium is time consuming and I have to test that everything works after a full wipe and reinstall. Not a 5 min task and certainly not something that I like doing. I restore each app and data one at a time to make sure no conflicts. You may do it differently but I don't want to waste more time with errors on reinstall.

My 2 cents.

Well, I got it to work, here's what I did:
  • In recovery: remove /system/app/Maps.apk
  • Copy Maps.apk from the r8 zip
  • In normal mode: adb install Maps.apk
  • Uninstall Maps on the phone (using ASTRO, any uninstall app should be fine)
  • Install from Market

Convoluted, yes, but removing any of these steps made the install fail. I'm sure you can use "adb uninstall" instead of using ASTRO, but I wanted to list my exact steps.

Spot on, took me a a while to get around to trying adb, thanks

Guest The Virus 2013
Having to do a full wipe is a wrong approach to solving the problem. The problem is created by Paul's custom rom, so he should be able to help provide a practical fix.

Restoring all apps and data using titanium is time consuming and I have to test that everything works after a full wipe and reinstall. Not a 5 min task and certainly not something that I like doing. I restore each app and data one at a time to make sure no conflicts. You may do it differently but I don't want to waste more time with errors on reinstall.

My 2 cents.

You're probably right, but Paul is working very hard on a lot of different things at a time, and sure he sometimes do errors... And most of the time, he try to help everybody. But sometimes perhaps it's impossible to repair and a wipe + reflash is necessary. I don't tell you it's the case here, because for some of us even that doesn't work, but I just tell that for me it worked very well. It seems that in the new version of the R9, everything is fine now.

Guest spammyspam
  • Install from Market

Convoluted, yes, but removing any of these steps made the install fail. I'm sure you can use "adb uninstall" instead of using ASTRO, but I wanted to list my exact steps.

Where should we copy Maps.apk to? The phone? Or the place where we'll run adb from?

Guest gavinlew

I have the same problem, can uninstall from recovery, then reinstall when the phone is booted normally and remove the app.

Yet downloading from the market after still says Installation failed.

logcat shows;

D/vending ( 752): [8] LocalAssetDatabase.notifyListener(): 5743988296419814906 / INSTALL_FAILED

D/vending ( 752): [8] VendingNotificationManager.showNotification(): Showing notification: [AssetID=5743988296419814906, NotificationID=300939497, Title=Google Maps, Message=Update unsuccessful.]

I/vending ( 752): [8] AssetDownloader$DownloadManagerBroadcastReceiver$MyPackageInstallObserver.packageInstalled(): Package install from content://downloads/download/40 failed: Package file was not signed correctly.

Edited by gavinlew

Guest lukemfross
  • Install from Market

This method also worked for me. Thanks!

• Install from Market

I followed all your steps, and I got to the Install from Market step, and it fails, says installation unsuccessful. I have no idea why, anyone able to help me? All the steps were fine, I managed to even adb install Maps.apk successfully.

Guest james-151
I have the same problem, can uninstall from recovery, then reinstall when the phone is booted normally and remove the app.

Yet downloading from the market after still says Installation failed.

logcat shows;

D/vending ( 752): [8] LocalAssetDatabase.notifyListener(): 5743988296419814906 / INSTALL_FAILED

D/vending ( 752): [8] VendingNotificationManager.showNotification(): Showing notification: [AssetID=5743988296419814906, NotificationID=300939497, Title=Google Maps, Message=Update unsuccessful.]

I/vending ( 752): [8] AssetDownloader$DownloadManagerBroadcastReceiver$MyPackageInstallObserver.packageInstalled(): Package install from content://downloads/download/40 failed: Package file was not signed correctly.

I had the same problem, I'm using R9.

Att,

james-151

Guest catlas
  • Install from Market

Thanks! With your instructions I managed to install the new Maps app. I had to do it slightly differently though - and I was also having a problem installing street view. So based on your instructions, here is what I did...
  • Extract Street.apk & Maps.apk from the ROM
  • Remove Street view and Maps from phone with Titanium Backup
  • Reboot into recovery mode
    adb mount system

adb shell rm /system/app/Maps.apk 

adb shell rm /system/app/Street.apk
    • Delete your Dalvik cache (to prevent the apk's from being automatically re-written to your phone)
    • Reboot into normal mode
adb install Maps.apk

adb install Street.apk

adb shell reboot

[*]Use Titanium Backup to uninstall the Maps.apk & Street.apk

[*]Reboot again

[*]Go to the market and install the two apps

Voila - it all works now.

Thanks for your help in getting me on the right path :)

Edited by catlas

• 1 month later...
Guest Joe Marshall

Thankyou Catlas - I'd tried all the other instructions with none of them working, and your ones worked perfectly.

I'm guessing it is the wipe-dalvik cache that is the important difference thinking about it.

Joe

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Sally Mack
Thankyou Catlas - I'd tried all the other instructions with none of them working, and your ones worked perfectly.

I'm guessing it is the wipe-dalvik cache that is the important difference thinking about it.

Joe

+1

Many thanks, I tried everything to update maps, and now finally have some success using your method!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest spice154

how do u get in to recovery using adb thing. everytime i click on adb in platform-tools it just runs and shuts n i have r8 modaco n i have probs with the google maps

how do u get in to recovery using adb thing. everytime i click on adb in platform-tools it just runs and shuts n i have r8 modaco n i have probs with the google maps

You go into clockwork recovery and then run adb commands through command console. Or use some tools like qtadb or similar software to have a GUI.