Photo

Windows Phone 7 USB Tethering - Will it or won't it?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

vinaymanro

vinaymanro

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy S2 / Dell Streak
  • Twitter:@vinaymanro
Posted Image

Richard Dudley has tweeted from an official Microsoft event that a killer feature of Windows Phone 7 is the free USB tethering, an option that costs extra with other smartphone platforms on most carriers, at least in the US.

According to Dudley, "Official Word — Windows Phone 7 will support USB tethering, carriers can NOT charge extra, above the data plan.”

Dudley then tweeted, "Correction to #WP7 tethering--that is not official, may not happen. I misunderstood a discussion. Tweet removed. My apologies."

In the past, Windows Mobile 5/6/6.1 supported tethering through the use of unofficial third-party apps, such as WMWiFiRouter.

If Windows Phone 7 includes USB Tethering, this will be a killer feature, and really get one up on other smartphone platforms. Heres hoping!

Mysterious Stranger

Mysterious Stranger

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Devices:Acer dual sim thingy..

If Windows Phone 7 includes USB Tethering, this will be a killer feature, and really get one up on other smartphone platforms. Heres hoping!

How is keeping something we already have (with a user friendly GUI since IIRC 5.0 MSFP but still possible before then) over USB a 'killer feature' exactly?

The unoffical tethering apps were only to enhance the functionality to share over wifi etc. USB internet sharing is a bog standard feature and they are going to consider taking it away? :lol:

M.S

Edited by Mysterious Stranger, 17 September 2010 - 04:59 PM.

mcwarre

mcwarre

I've always wanted to explore the Pacific rim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts
  • Devices:Samsung: Galaxy S2 & Tab 10.1
W7 seems to be standardising things but seriously restricting its functionality. Are they purposefully trying to alienate their core users to *try* and get a larger market share? Android will wipe the floor with them (tbh it already has). Bye bye WM................

"Success is not to be measured by the position someone has reached in life, but the obstacles he has overcome while trying to succeed."

Booker T. Washington

Mysterious Stranger

Mysterious Stranger

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Devices:Acer dual sim thingy..

W7 seems to be standardising things but seriously restricting its functionality. Are they purposefully trying to alienate their core users to *try* and get a larger market share? Android will wipe the floor with them (tbh it already has). Bye bye WM................

I agree. Loading apps only via the app store? WTF?

M.S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users