Going from 1.6 to 2.1?

Guest max-greece

Guest max-greece

Just a quick question really. What benefits might I expect to see if I upgrade the Optimus once it becomes available?

I can see that 2.2 offers some useful things, like running apps from the SD card, but I dont really see too much in 2.1.

I did see on another post in this forum that there are some programs that wont run on 1.6 but they will on 2.1 - true?

So far everything I have installed has worked (although there was a fair amount of to and fro with the developer of the VLC remote stream app. to get that functional for streaming video from the computer to the phone).

Just for reference I have installed about 50 apps from the market and have around 30 active on the phone at anytime.

Guest Jedipottsy
Just a quick question really. What benefits might I expect to see if I upgrade the Optimus once it becomes available?

I can see that 2.2 offers some useful things, like running apps from the SD card, but I dont really see too much in 2.1.

I did see on another post in this forum that there are some programs that wont run on 1.6 but they will on 2.1 - true?

So far everything I have installed has worked (although there was a fair amount of to and fro with the developer of the VLC remote stream app. to get that functional for streaming video from the computer to the phone).

Just for reference I have installed about 50 apps from the market and have around 30 active on the phone at anytime.

2.1 adds new API's and backend features, while improving the whole android UI and experience, things are put in their logical places. Also alot of applications which are written for 2.1+ are hidden on the 1.6 market, so everything you see will work, you just dont see everything. 2.2 doesnt add much, the main benefits of 2.2 are JIT and Flash, both are useless on low ram Arm6 devices. Also Froyo A2SD is useless, running on my Desire i still run short on space, while the old EXT based A2SD i never run out of space.

Guest max-greece
2.1 adds new API's and backend features, while improving the whole android UI and experience, things are put in their logical places. Also alot of applications which are written for 2.1+ are hidden on the 1.6 market, so everything you see will work, you just dont see everything. 2.2 doesnt add much, the main benefits of 2.2 are JIT and Flash, both are useless on low ram Arm6 devices. Also Froyo A2SD is useless, running on my Desire i still run short on space, while the old EXT based A2SD i never run out of space.

Thanks for that. From the little I had found online about this none of the above was clear.

Guest PaulZero
so 2.1 uses 256.000 colors?

I only just learned of this myself, but yes apparently the 1.6 release of Android is limited to 65,000 colours. Of course our beautiful sharp LG displays are good for 256,000 colours. So we will be able to make use of this increase in colour support.

Whether anyone will actually notice the difference is another thing entirely...

I want to ask, will we benefit of LiveWallpapers? And, how about the UI, can it be set to LG Home, or Android Home like before?

I want to keep the stock Android look.

Oh, BTW, I'm new here! :lol:

Guest RottenFoxBreath
I want to ask, will we benefit of LiveWallpapers? And, how about the UI, can it be set to LG Home, or Android Home like before?

I want to keep the stock Android look.

Oh, BTW, I'm new here! :lol:

Yeh, you can do both, Live Wallpapers work on 2.1, and you still will have LG home, and the stock Android look.