Android tablets?

Guest Asselberghs

Guest Asselberghs

Hi guys:)

I am considering getting an Android tablet at some point.

My primary use for such a tablet would be as an e-reader.

At first I was considering Kindle but I´d never gotten around to getting one, and this was before Ipad hype.

Now when you look for e-reader/tablets it´s all Ipad Ipad Ipad. I effin hate Apple due bad experience with ipods.

I am not going to start flaming apple or anything, let´s just say I´m not getting an Ipad.

The positive about it though, at least I think, is the screen size.

Seems good for e-reading and it give the option to do other stuff with it also.

And I´ve already tried to use my HTC Desire as an e-reader, not exactly a pleasant experience.

So I am looking for a tablet with the same screen size as Ipad, but powered by Android.

And I found this:

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_1...=us&lang=en

Archos 101 tablet, is a 10.1 inch tablet running Android 2.2 Froyo.

Well cool I thought, that´s awsome it´s got a bigger screen than Ipad, it´s Android Froyo powered, that´d be nice, and I could just download Kindle app for it and maybe another e-reader app. And i´d be able to view PDF books on it as well.

My only problem, who the *censored* is Archos? are they reliable? are they good at what they do? or am I going to get screwed with a bad malfunctioning device buying from them? I have no idea who Archos are, and I don´t know anything of their reputation.

Should I set my sights on this tablet? or continue looking?

Do you guys have any other idea´s for Android powered Ipad conpetitors?

Hope you can help.

Kind Regards

Nick Asselberghs

Android Addict:)

"Access to Applib"

Does this little ditty have access to the Android Market? Is the screen capacitive?

These are the two main questions I saw after looking at the details. Of course, Engadget did a review of all these new Archos tablets a few weeks back, mostly glowing.. but some of them had resistive screens (which I don't remember).

Archos has been making MIDs for years, I've toyed with their HDD based one's about two years ago, and I loved them.

If you want to use the Kindle app, make sure this little dude has access to the market!

I'm also in the market for a tablet, but I'm holding out for the HTC/Google Chrome OS tablet deal.. rumored to be a Tegra 2 etc etc. Though I'm considering buying one of these dumb sub $150 Chinese knockoff tablets just to have one to play with... but that directly hurts my ability to buy the HTC/Google one if it comes out soon!

Hi guys:)

I am considering getting an Android tablet at some point.

My primary use for such a tablet would be as an e-reader.

At first I was considering Kindle but I´d never gotten around to getting one, and this was before Ipad hype.

Now when you look for e-reader/tablets it´s all Ipad Ipad Ipad. I effin hate Apple due bad experience with ipods.

I am not going to start flaming apple or anything, let´s just say I´m not getting an Ipad.

The positive about it though, at least I think, is the screen size.

Seems good for e-reading and it give the option to do other stuff with it also.

And I´ve already tried to use my HTC Desire as an e-reader, not exactly a pleasant experience.

So I am looking for a tablet with the same screen size as Ipad, but powered by Android.

And I found this:

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_1...=us&lang=en

Archos 101 tablet, is a 10.1 inch tablet running Android 2.2 Froyo.

Well cool I thought, that´s awsome it´s got a bigger screen than Ipad, it´s Android Froyo powered, that´d be nice, and I could just download Kindle app for it and maybe another e-reader app. And i´d be able to view PDF books on it as well.

My only problem, who the *censored* is Archos? are they reliable? are they good at what they do? or am I going to get screwed with a bad malfunctioning device buying from them? I have no idea who Archos are, and I don´t know anything of their reputation.

Should I set my sights on this tablet? or continue looking?

Do you guys have any other idea´s for Android powered Ipad conpetitors?

Hope you can help.

Kind Regards

Nick Asselberghs

Android Addict:)

android 2.2+capasitive+multitouch+arm cortex a8 1ghz+direct usb host +sd card reader+webcam+bluetooth+hdmi output

+ archos media player-supporting tons of files including avi and mkv at 720p + external srt subtitles.....

only for 299 $

actually apple ipad looks like a bunch of alluminum and a multitouch screen for 500$ in front of archos 101

i will definately buy this

Edited by mixlis

android 2.2+capasitive+multitouch+arm cortex a8 1ghz+direct usb host +sd card reader+webcam+bluetooth+hdmi output

+ archos media player-supporting tons of files including avi and mkv at 720p + external srt subtitles.....

only for 299 $

actually apple ipad looks like a bunch of alluminum and a multitouch screen for 500$ in front of archos 101

i will definately buy this

Hey, can you shoot me a link where you saw the capacitive detail about the screen? It's not that I don't believe you, but that I will buy the device as well if it is indeed capacitive... too many android knock off's and crappy tablets are resistive, which is a total nogo (for me)!

Edit: Did my own hunting:

It would appear that the Archos 101 is yet another great one. The 101 has a 10.1 inch 1024 x 600 capacitive touchscreen display not to mention a microSD card slot, 720p HD video playback, WiFi, Bluetooth, and HDMI port as well as Android 2.2.

http://www.mobilewhack.com/archos-10-1-inch-android-tablet/

Edited by Guest

Guest Asselberghs

I can´t figure out if it has Android Market or just their own version. And it´s complicated contacting their support. I haven´t figured out where it is, it seems you have to buy one before you can get technical support from them.

Guest mixlis
I can´t figure out if it has Android Market or just their own version. And it´s complicated contacting their support. I haven´t figured out where it is, it seems you have to buy one before you can get technical support from them.

search google archosfans

Guest Amdathlonuk

I've got to admit I've been looking at Android tablets for about 3 months now and was waiting for them to appear with either 2.1 or 2.2 before I took the plunge.

I just can't seem to hit the 'buy' button though!!

I haven't seen many reviews for them and don't want to end up with a £200 POS.

However, the Archos seems the best yet, I can't see an issue with putting apps on an SDcard and installing from the card if necessary?

I already have a Dell Streak so I can download everything I need on that.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest charlie_82

There are a whole host of Android tablets to be released in the next month or so. Take a look at this Google Spreadsheet: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0An...mp;hl=en#gid=75

The Archos 101 is high on my list of favourites along with the Advent Vega (http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=320181&view=findpost&p=1437982)

Something to bear in mind is the size/weight factor. While a 10" screen real-estate may look good, it does become cumbersome in terms of usage and weight.

I can't seem to find the link but I read a case study where a guy walked around with an iPad (9" screen) and a Samsung Galaxy Tab (7" screen) for a week. While the bigger screen on the iPad was nicer for multimedia (movies, photos, etc) he said the Samsung was his preferred choice for continious usage. Apparently (having a bigger screen) the weight of the iPad puts a lot more pressure on your wrists. Typing was also an issue since you mostly need two hands to hold on the weightier tablet whereas the Samsung was easy to hold in one hand and operate with the other. All-in-all, he found he opted to use the Samsung for productivity and the iPad for the glamour factor.

It's for this reason I'm considering the Archos 7 Internet Tablet (not the Home Tablet which comes with Android 1.5) or the Elocity A7.

Also be careful about making purchases right now - in most of my research I've found that apart from the Samsung Galaxy Tab (which has a hefty price tag of around 600GBP on Amazon.co.uk) and the crappy Archos 7 Home Tablet, the only other tablets you can buy currently are the cheap Chinese variety (which mostly tend to come with resistive screens). Granted, they may not all be bad but when you're spending this sort of cash on hardware, it may be better to stick with a brand name - that's my just 2c anyway

There are a whole host of Android tablets to be released in the next month or so. Take a look at this Google Spreadsheet: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0An...mp;hl=en#gid=75

The Archos 101 is high on my list of favourites along with the Advent Vega (http://android.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=320181&view=findpost&p=1437982)

Something to bear in mind is the size/weight factor. While a 10" screen real-estate may look good, it does become cumbersome in terms of usage and weight.

I can't seem to find the link but I read a case study where a guy walked around with an iPad (9" screen) and a Samsung Galaxy Tab (7" screen) for a week. While the bigger screen on the iPad was nicer for multimedia (movies, photos, etc) he said the Samsung was his preferred choice for continious usage. Apparently (having a bigger screen) the weight of the iPad puts a lot more pressure on your wrists. Typing was also an issue since you mostly need two hands to hold on the weightier tablet whereas the Samsung was easy to hold in one hand and operate with the other. All-in-all, he found he opted to use the Samsung for productivity and the iPad for the glamour factor.

It's for this reason I'm considering the Archos 7 Internet Tablet (not the Home Tablet which comes with Android 1.5) or the Elocity A7.

Also be careful about making purchases right now - in most of my research I've found that apart from the Samsung Galaxy Tab (which has a hefty price tag of around 600GBP on Amazon.co.uk) and the crappy Archos 7 Home Tablet, the only other tablets you can buy currently are the cheap Chinese variety (which mostly tend to come with resistive screens). Granted, they may not all be bad but when you're spending this sort of cash on hardware, it may be better to stick with a brand name - that's my just 2c anyway

Hi,

I am in the same boat as everyone else, I am currently looking @ the Advent vega, Archos 70 Android Internet Tablet and the Archos 101. But seeing as the archos has not release date yet? I will have to make do with the advent Vega Just Hope quidco will amount to something...

Guest add.thebad
Hi,

I am in the same boat as everyone else, I am currently looking @ the Advent vega, Archos 70 Android Internet Tablet and the Archos 101. But seeing as the archos has not release date yet? I will have to make do with the advent Vega Just Hope quidco will amount to something...

same i torn between the archos and the advent but i think i will go for the advent since that has the promise of the update to honeycomb and has the tegera 2 chipset which will make it a mean performer and it out november 1st

The ADAM tablet seems very nice, any details/release date/price on that one?

I have the archos 70 IT since monday and I am glad I did. My HTC Desire feels really so tiny to use now.