2.1 Likes and Dislikes!

Guest AerospaceMango

Guest qwerta369
Hey qwerta. I notice you said you flashed to a different 1.6 ROM.

I was just wondering how easily you did that and was it sucessful with doing a flash that wasnt really an upgrade, cos basically it was a flash frmo 1.6 to 1.6.

Did you ever go back to the CPW rom again after, and if so, was it just as thought you had never touched a thing after and everythign went back to exactly hwo the phone came out of the box.

Only reason Im asking is beacuse im trying to find out how difficult it will be to flash my phone to the UK (possibly CPW_ 2.1 rom when it comes out over here, as i currently have the baltic 2.1

My phone also came with v10a CPW

Also just out curiosity.. What was your reason to flashing to the HK 1.6 ROM? I never had any problems with v10a myself.

Hi. I flash from UK CPW 1.6 to HK 1.6 because I fancied it, because I wanted Chinese text input, and because I felt like it really. It was using KDZ Updater, exact same procedure as flashing Baltic 2.1. I didn't revert to UK CPW 1.6 prior to flashing Baltic 2.1 though, so I can't answer that question I'm afraid.

My inkling is that going from Baltic 2.1 to UK 2.1 will be grand though.

Hi. I flash from UK CPW 1.6 to HK 1.6 because I fancied it, because I wanted Chinese text input, and because I felt like it really. It was using KDZ Updater, exact same procedure as flashing Baltic 2.1. I didn't revert to UK CPW 1.6 prior to flashing Baltic 2.1 though, so I can't answer that question I'm afraid.

My inkling is that going from Baltic 2.1 to UK 2.1 will be grand though.

Yeah im hoping so too.

I was just getting a little worried because i flashed to Baltic 2.1, and then decided id try and go back to 1.6 v10a just to see what would happen, and it doesnt seem as though its possible, so once going to 2.1 it seems like a downgrade isnt possible, so just hoping that going from baltic 2.1 to uk 2.1 will be possible and easy.

Guest qwerta369
Yeah im hoping so too.

I was just getting a little worried because i flashed to Baltic 2.1, and then decided id try and go back to 1.6 v10a just to see what would happen, and it doesnt seem as though its possible, so once going to 2.1 it seems like a downgrade isnt possible, so just hoping that going from baltic 2.1 to uk 2.1 will be possible and easy.

I can understand that 2.1 to 1.6 is not possible, but I'd be very surprised if 2.1 to 2.1 were not possible, especially since 1.6 to 1.6 is possible. Hope so anyway! :lol:

I wonder why 2.1 to 1.6 isnt possible though. I mean it you look at the output frmo kdq_fq_upd as its flashing to 21. it says that it erases the c drive on the device, so im guessing in theory the same as formatting your hard drive on your pc and installing a new version of windows..

Yet if it formats the drive completely, then puts all the new files on i dont get why downgrading isnt possible, cos it should be no different to having a pc with says windows 7, wiping the hard drive and installing windows xp.

Only thing i can think of is taht maybe the 2.1 update makes some changes to the phyical bootloader ors omething, which wont enable it to boot back into 1.6 anymore.

Cos im guessing the bootloader is stopred in a bios type section, seperate from the main memory of the device, so maybe the 2.1 update upgrades the bootloader to a newer version which is no longer compatible, and maybe bootloader isnt downgradable im not sure lol.

Guest soulclaimed

i noticed that some apps that were pre installed on my phone before had gone such as layar and shazam im also quite sure my gps signal is worse... i had to register with shazam and didnt need to before... can anyone tell me other than live wallpapers any decent apps and games that work now but didnt in 1.6?

also web browsing is difficult now with double tap im zooming in and out like mad by mistake

Guest RottenFoxBreath
There's an app in the market called "Voice Search"? Not for me there isn't. Nothing by that name at all.

Voice search worked for me on 1.6 UK CPW ROM (out of the box), however stopped working when I flash 1.6 HK ROM and, as I mentioned, also doesn't work on this 2.1 Baltic ROM.

Thanks. Done that. Seems to have worked. Is this a new menu in 2.1? Because..

Not that i know of, I saw it there before, as different locale's like the US, start weeks on a Sunday, so it's right the option is there for ones that don't, but not everyone in the US starts on a Sunday, I suppose it's just an assumption, TBH.

Bear in mind that LG used a custom 1.6 setup for this phone, so apps might have been different than stock.

Guest soulclaimed

Like:

New Android home screen look and feel, also that it allows for 5 screens and not just 3. I actually prefer the Android home screen to the LG home screen, contrary to when I was on 1.6.

Pressing call button now allows to tab to keypad rather than just contacts / log.

Live wallpapers.

Yahoo Mail app now available to me (doesn't work on 1.6).

use pandahome u get 11 screens and extra menu bars dont think live wallpapers work with it though

Guest RottenFoxBreath
i noticed that some apps that were pre installed on my phone before had gone such as layar and shazam im also quite sure my gps signal is worse... i had to register with shazam and didnt need to before... can anyone tell me other than live wallpapers any decent apps and games that work now but didnt in 1.6?

also web browsing is difficult now with double tap im zooming in and out like mad by mistake

You want to try Opera, as a browser, or Dolphin at least...

And as for the apps, didn't Shazam use the details from the phone before?, and now it's not part of the phone, you will have to register seperately?

The GPS is fine up here..Might be weather or service related, but I haven't noticed any issues.

Biggest thing for me is the blank slate, without the garbage apps added, so i can pick and choose, as 4square, and layar(no offense), and a couple of the other apps that were on mine were trash.

Big THANKS @ RottenFoxBreath for the tip with "MoreLocale 2"!

Now voice recognition works even with german language. So i can say "Bratwurst und Sauerkraut" now. :lol:

For filling textboxes with voice, i use the Swift Keyboard.

One new dislike on 2.1: No more able to set an different Wallpaper to the lockscreen. B)

Guest RottenFoxBreath
Big THANKS @ RottenFoxBreath for the tip with "MoreLocale 2"!

One new dislike on 2.1: No more able to set an different Wallpaper to the lockscreen. B)

Thanks..

Yeah, I miss my lock screen with the pic of Kelly Brook on it.. :lol:

i use LauncherPro, it makes my phone feel alot more alive, and i really hate LG's Dock Bar, so this is my only lifeguard. And from all those kind of apps (aHome,PandaHome etc... ) i only like LauncherPro.

Edited by ilovelg

Guest he6rt6gr6m

Twitter for LG completely sucks donkey nuts. Doesn't do anything but just throw me back to the login screen.

Back to Seesmic it is.

Go to the market, download "MoreLocale 2", it's only 60kbs, so tiny file size, run it(you only need to run it once, and never again), select English, from the ISO639 window, then select United Kingdom, from the ISO3166 window.

* Hint: United Kingdom is underneath "Gabon" in the A-Z listing B) , I assume for GB.

AWESOME. Thanks very much.

Thanks..

Yeah, I miss my lock screen with the pic of Kelly Brook on it.. :lol:

There's an few apps for that isn't there?

Edited by he6rt6gr6m

ok how did u guys get voice search to work? i tried to reinstall mine from astro, it installed. and when i tried to use it it kept on saying amdroid voice search com process has stopped responding. and i can not find it in market.

Guest qwerta369
ok how did u guys get voice search to work? i tried to reinstall mine from astro, it installed. and when i tried to use it it kept on saying amdroid voice search com process has stopped responding. and i can not find it in market.

I got that too, with Voice Search v130 that I found on the internet. You need to use Voice Search v150. It doesn't come up in the Market for me, nor can I download it from Google. Don't know why. Could be because I'm in Ireland maybe? Not really sure.

Anyway, I found Voice Search v150 and posted a link to it here. It also includes the stock Android keyboard.

Guest TheLostSwede

Both the facebook and twitter apps appear buggy, you have to try and log in, wait a bit, cancel, then log in again and they seem to come alive. Very strange, but I have both working after doing that.

Guest DBNemesis

THe LG twitter app is working for me, but I prefer tweetcaster.

I'm stuffed with GPS though - The most sattelites I've been able to see so far is 6 & it used to easily find 9 in seconds - I'm leaving the GPS active for a while to see if it just needs to update it's location database, but little annoying.

THe LG twitter app is working for me, but I prefer tweetcaster.

I'm stuffed with GPS though - The most sattelites I've been able to see so far is 6 & it used to easily find 9 in seconds - I'm leaving the GPS active for a while to see if it just needs to update it's location database, but little annoying.

GPS did seem a bit wonky at first, but today I got a lock in about 5 seconds, with 10 satellites in view, and I am inside.

It might be that the ephemeris and almanac data took a little while to get sorted after the reset, it certainly seems as good as before now.

I got that too, with Voice Search v130 that I found on the internet. You need to use Voice Search v150. It doesn't come up in the Market for me, nor can I download it from Google. Don't know why. Could be because I'm in Ireland maybe? Not really sure.

Anyway, I found Voice Search v150 and posted a link to it here. It also includes the stock Android keyboard.

got voice offf 4shared.com voicesearch2.1.apk

works perfect.

Guest RottenFoxBreath

That's the Voice Search with stupidly huge Android Keyboard(which is bugged on the GT540, as it's not for that phone.)

I've put up a link to the 1.50 Voice Search(510kbs), from my phone, into my post HERE! :lol:

Edited by RottenFoxBreath

Guest RottenFoxBreath
Both the facebook and twitter apps appear buggy, you have to try and log in, wait a bit, cancel, then log in again and they seem to come alive. Very strange, but I have both working after doing that.

I got no issues yesterday logging into either, until late last night, but checking on the pc, and facebook had ground to a halt, and twiiter was doing its 0 following, 0 followers nonsense...but it's fine again this morning.

It'll more than likely be their shitty service. :lol:

Guest qwerta369
That's the Voice Search with stupidly huge Android Keyboard(which is bugged on the GT540, as it's not for that phone.)

I've put up a link to the 1.50 Voice Search(510kbs), from my phone, into my post HERE! :lol:

Thanks. Will uninstall and install yours instead.