Here is the main reason the 2.1 Update is laggy!

Guest OrionBG

Guest OrionBG

Hi All

This have already been mentioned but it seems many people are still unaware that the lag that many of us have seen in the 2.1 builds is due to one line in the build.prop file!

The line by default is: debug.sf.hw=0 - it should be debug.sf.hw=1

This option controls the way the OS renders the UI! (hw=0) Uses the CPU to render the UI and (hw=1) Uses the GPU to render the UI! The original 1.6 builds for the Streak have this option to (1) and by some crazy reason the 2.1 builds (including Modaco's r2) have this to (0)! This is why you think that the Build is slow!

Change the line in build.prop (located in /system/ ) with "Root Explorer" (requires root) and restart! Now the UI will be smooth as silk!

Just an Edit! This is not my discovery! I have just made this thread to make this more visible!

Edited by OrionBG

Guest maskaler
Hi All

This have already been mentioned but it seems many people are still unaware that the lag that many of us have seen in the 2.1 builds is due to one line in the build.prop file!

This option controls the way the OS renders the UI! (hw=0) Uses the CPU to render the UI and (hw=1) Uses the GPU to render the UI! The original 1.6 builds for the Streak have this option to (1) and by some crazy reason the 2.1 builds (including Modaco's r2) have this to (0)! This is why you think that the Build is slow!

Change the line in build.prop (located in /system/ ) with "Root Explorer" (requires root) and restart! Now the UI will be smooth as silk!

Thanks for this. Transitions and general UI does seem smoother (I'm running 6941)

Guest OrionBG

This is NOT my find! It have been mentioned a couple of times already but always in the context of other matters!

I just made a thread with the right name on the right place and put the info so anyone can see it!

Guest jamezwarner

Have applied this, and confirm is has stayed set after a reboot, but I don't see any appreciable difference to UI performance - is there anywhere in particular I should be able to notice this?

James

Guest maskaler
Have applied this, and confirm is has stayed set after a reboot, but I don't see any appreciable difference to UI performance - is there anywhere in particular I should be able to notice this?

James

I've noticed that the ADW animations/transitions seem a lot smoother.

Guest OrionBG

The biggest difference I see is when I try to select a widget, the list is not so laggy any more. All menus are now faster and animations on the UI are smooth!

Guest gadjet110
Hi All

Well done OrionBG!

It does what it says on the tin....nice fluid menus when selecting widgets and applications to page now.

Can paul build into next Modaco 2.1 rom now?

DJ_Steve found it, it's not new, its part of his build.prop and has been around for weeks now.

ok folks ive been messing about with this for a bit now and it seems stable and to get rid of alot of the lag/scrolling/jerkyness.

my build prop is :

http://downloads.nitdroid.com/djsteve/streak/build.prop

this disables most of the dell /o2 edits, changes the dalvik heapsize to 64mb (seems to make a decent difference) and sets debug.sf.hw to 1 to enable hw gfx composition apprently. - in other words it allows the streaks gpu to have some more work rendering the main ui rather than doing it in software. browser seems to be even faster rendering pages now also.

you may want to edit this prop though as the lcd density is set to 120 in it :lol:

cheers and any results are happily recieved

i think the sf.hw may reduce quadrant bench slightly but i personally find performance better with it set to 1

Edited by fards

Guest OrionBG
DJ_Steve found it, it's not new, its part of his build.prop and has been around for weeks now.

Yes! Thats right! I can't take any credit for the tweak itself! I have just made this thread to make this tweak more visible!

BTW I have edited my first post to make this clear!

Guest jamezwarner

Has anyone looked at this tweak for the droid? We don't have that line in our build.prop - but is it addable?

How, to save battery by decreasing the amount of time Wifi looks for an access point, I changed

wifi.supplicant_scan_interval = 60

to

wifi.supplicant_scan_interval = 90

Now wifi will scan once every 1.5 minutes when not around a known location instead of once every minute which will save battery.

Has anyone looked at this tweak for the droid? We don't have that line in our build.prop - but is it addable?

How, to save battery by decreasing the amount of time Wifi looks for an access point, I changed

wifi.supplicant_scan_interval = 60

to

wifi.supplicant_scan_interval = 90

Now wifi will scan once every 1.5 minutes when not around a known location instead of once every minute which will save battery.

yeah I tried that one, didn't seem to make any difference..

Guest jamezwarner

Well i've added the line, boots fine - wonder if much of a saving is to be had (does it still scan for wifi AP's when the screen is off?)

Guest gillebob

Just spent about 2 hours getting this to work and it's definitely worth it, everything snappier, and Quadrant up from 760 to 838 ! nice.

Edited by gillebob

Guest Hands0n

Just to add my tuppenceworth :lol: This small mod to build.prop is a complete lifesaver. I had just picked up a used Dell Streak from eBay and was experimenting around with it and the more I used it the more I became dissatisfied with its UI performance. I'm coming from a Nexus One and iPhone 4 so the expectations are high.

With the tweak to build.prop the Dell Streak UI performance equals both of those other devices. Really!

Anyone not too sure about rooting should try using Universal Androot from the Market. It makes the whole process dead simple and you can un-root from the app's UI also. I had to run it twice - it failed the first time but succeeded the second.