problem with texts and calls after 2.1 update

Guest cooperzetec

Guest cooperzetec

bit of a problem with receiving and sending messages and phone calls since updating to 2.1. they are really delayed and sometimes i don't get them till the day after. also phone calls are not coming through. it says my phone is switched off even though its on and in my hand. I'm on o2. any body had the same thing?

Guest qwerta369

I keep losing signal.

It totally goes and says "Emergency Calls Only". If I restart the phone, problem resolved, but it's a pain. It happens once or twice a day.

I've tried resolving it by switching on Airplane mode for a minute then switching it off, but that doesn't do it.

I've tried resolving it by going in to manually select mobile network, and selecting another network (such as Vodafone IE) and it correctly says "Your SIM card does not allow a connection to the network" as I'd expect, but then when I try selecting Meteor (which is my network), it says the same "Your SIM card does not allow a connection to the network". Now why would that be?

Guest foxandbutter

I have exactly the same problem, my gt540 is not working properly after 2.1 Baltic update. Switching to 2g resolves the "calls not coming through" issue, but something is broken in 3g mode. My network operator is PlusGSM, I use my phone in Poland.

Any suggestions ? Reflashing worked for anyone ?

Guest RottenFoxBreath
Same here on o2 giffgaff :)

did you get your APN settings via SMS?

For o2, text ACTIVE to 2020.

for giffgaff text SETTINGS to 2020, and check here for troubleshooting issues.

giffgaff is detected by android as o2,(same network, different setup) and can cause issues, with some numbers.

Edited by RottenFoxBreath

Guest max-greece

I am wondering if it is something to do with having an older sim card.

No real evidence for this just that I am having problems andI know my SIM is rather old. When I get the chance I am going to order a new one just to see.

Obviously if it makes a differenceI will report back.

Guest kapslock

I put all settings in manual, not SMS. I have called my GT540 at random times via another phone and several times I get a message saying not possible to connect! Also when making a call from my GT540 to another phone, it takes a minute to actually connect and ring. Very strange :) (SIM is 2 months old)

Edited by kapslock

Guest cooperzetec
I put all settings in manual, not SMS. I have called my GT540 at random times via another phone and several times I get a message saying not possible to connect! Also when making a call from my GT540 to another phone, it takes a minute to actually connect and ring. Very strange :) (SIM is 2 months old)

this happens to me. when people try and ring me it says the phone is off. my sim card is quite new so not sure if it would be that. really annoying now though.

Guest cooperzetec

i have also done this numerous times but still the same problem. it seems to be if i leave it for bout an hour then it stops receiving messages and stuff. im wondering if something is stopping or slowing down????

Guest kapslock

Cooperzetec, I have switched to 2G only and all of a sudden it appears problem gone*. Tested over a 3 hour period, perhaps not long enough so I will keep it like this until Wednesday morning, testing testing every hour. Would you give it a go. I would like your opinion. Cheers. *Perhaps I should say problem found.

Guest kapslock

OK, just found this http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-gt540/...1-possible.html

PLEASE NOTE >>> If posting the addy above breaks any rules, please remove it or tell me to and I will.

Containing this (near the bottom of page)

"That article doesn't say anything new really that you can't read here and the modaco.com forums for a week now. For now only Baltics and Russian federation get it, for the rest of us wait, unless you wan to try the unofficial way.

I have to wait anyway because of a compatibility problem with 3G data reported with my provider and the baltics 2.1 rom, so it is not safe for me to try it"

Sounds about right :) ;)

Same here on o2 giffgaff :)

Using my GT540 on GiffGaff (using auto detect between 2G & 3G) with no problems. Updated to 2.1 a few days ago.

On 1.6 I had issues where if I called a number it would take ages to make the connection and ring them. That has gone away as has people telling me they rang me until my phone diverted to VM but I only heard the handset ring once.

Seems much snappier now its updated.

Have you reflashed it?

Guest cooperzetec
Cooperzetec, I have switched to 2G only and all of a sudden it appears problem gone*. Tested over a 3 hour period, perhaps not long enough so I will keep it like this until Wednesday morning, testing testing every hour. Would you give it a go. I would like your opinion. Cheers. *Perhaps I should say problem found.

Yeah will do. will post back on here how is goes.

Guest cooperzetec

Kapslock, i have had it on 2g for a few hours now and no problems. getting all messages and phone calls so must be a problem with 3g. its strange though because my girlfriends one is ok.

Guest cooperzetec
Ya very strange. Dunno what to do next :) Perhaps reflash? If your girlfriends is fine on 2.1 That may be worth a shot. What you think.

Well i have already re flashed about 10 times now but i have worked out that when you re flash from 2.1 to 2.1 it doesn't change the settings. i have also tried hard reset but that doesn't solve it either. well it does but only for a short while then it goes back to normal. its like something stops ! i really don't know what else to suggest.

Guest kapslock

Gave it a reflash anyhow, and, as you said, it did nothing. And all the settings stayed. Also removed all settings, reset and flashed. No good. Perhaps 2G until UK 2.1? Or perhaps we could try something else. I just dont know what. I am sure its 3G (i think proven now) Now could it be O2/O2 giffgaff specific?

Guest cooperzetec
Gave it a reflash anyhow, and, as you said, it did nothing. And all the settings stayed. Also removed all settings, reset and flashed. No good. Perhaps 2G until UK 2.1? Or perhaps we could try something else. I just dont know what. I am sure its 3G (i think proven now) Now could it be O2/O2 giffgaff specific?

Yeah its 100% the 3g that's messing everything up. I'm wondering if it is o2 specific. maybe worth trying a different sim card in it and see what happens. just have to wait till UK 2.1 comes out and see if that solves it.

Guest craigwn

I'm also missing calls, texts can arrive really delayed and the data connection will appear fine but rarely actually work after a period of inactivity unless the phone is rebooted, turning 3g off does appear to solve this, however really slows down anything involving the internet (for obvious reasons).

I'm on a T-mobile contract, with a sim which is less than week old (tested and works fine in other devices).

A real shame as otherwise 2.1 is a very worthwhile update!

Guest kapslock

Agreed. Also confirms not just O2/O2 giffgaff. Cooperzetec, does your girlfriend have same model of phone? and also on 2.1 with no probs? If so, why is this happening to a few of us, and not all? Mine came from CPW. How bout you. How bout your girlfriends. Can we pinpoint this any closer. Oooooooh so strange is this :) ;)

Guest cooperzetec
Agreed. Also confirms not just O2/O2 giffgaff. Cooperzetec, does your girlfriend have same model of phone? and also on 2.1 with no probs? If so, why is this happening to a few of us, and not all? Mine came from CPW. How bout you. How bout your girlfriends. Can we pinpoint this any closer. Oooooooh so strange is this :) ;)

Both mine and my girlfriends were bought from cpw at the same time. same model and everything. i had a slight problem updating mine where as my girlfriends updated perfect first time. I'm wondering if the first time i tried to update it might have deleted something but not put it back when i flashed it again?