problem with texts and calls after 2.1 update

Guest cooperzetec

Guest kapslock

Mine appeared to update first time no problems, but no blue screens that i have read . But, it did seem fine first time. No errors at all. At the mo i am in 2G mode and it works fine. In fact 2G is very quick. Quicker than i would of expected. Don't know about you, but in the last day I have flashed, reset, flashed again, even prayed to the the Gods and have now no other ideas..... Grrrr!

Guest cooperzetec
Mine appeared to update first time no problems, but no blue screens that i have read . But, it did seem fine first time. No errors at all. At the mo i am in 2G mode and it works fine. In fact 2G is very quick. Quicker than i would of expected. Don't know about you, but in the last day I have flashed, reset, flashed again, even prayed to the the Gods and have now no other ideas..... Grrrr!

Funny you say that cus my 2g seems really quick. i wonder if it is on 3g but says ?

Guest kapslock

fraid not mate :) Just finished quick test ( quick in the sense it took a while to get 3G working)

Test results

3G

400k download - 556 kbit/sec - 0.408s latency - 6.091s d/l time

2G

400k download - 160 kbit/sec - 0.995s latency - 20.929s d/l time

Guess it just appears quick to us, due to this piggin pain of a problem

Guest cooperzetec
fraid not mate :) Just finished quick test ( quick in the sense it took a while to get 3G working)

Test results

3G

400k download - 556 kbit/sec - 0.408s latency - 6.091s d/l time

2G

400k download - 160 kbit/sec - 0.995s latency - 20.929s d/l time

Guess it just appears quick to us, due to this piggin pain of a problem

Oh well was a nice thought while it lasted lol. i really have no idea what else to say.

Guest kapslock

Same here mate. No idea what else to try :( I think it is just a matter of waiting for the UK 2.1, Fingers crossed. If I find any more info on it I will let you know, please do the same :) We are in a rare select club after all ;)

Guest cooperzetec
Same here mate. No idea what else to try :( I think it is just a matter of waiting for the UK 2.1, Fingers crossed. If I find any more info on it I will let you know, please do the same :) We are in a rare select club after all ;)

yeah will do mate. looks like just the 3 members at the mo lol. might try and dig up a 2.2 rom for the optimus one and try that.

Guest kapslock

KINELL!! This is not good! Was going to try it tomorrow but now will not bother. Thanks for info craigwn, was your phone from CPW by any chance? and do you have the chance to try with a different sim to your Tmobile. Why the hell it is happening to a few of us is beyond me.

Guest craigwn

Mine came from the carphone warehouse too, and everything was fine on 1.6, i have an orange payg sim floating around somewhere so i will give that a try over the weekend if i get a chance. I presume (and i know what happens when one makes a presumption) that the system base of all of these 2.1 Roms will be the same and only the software added and languages will differ so could be a problem we are stuck with! at least when an official UK rom comes out i can take the phone back to be fixed/swapped

Guest craigwn

Been doing a lot of research into this over the past couple of days and this is what i have now found....

1) make sure your radioband is set correctly to do this follow the following instructions and select your region

DIAL PAD *#*#4636#*#*

PHONE INFORMATION

MENU BUTTON --->SELECT RADIO BAND

REBOOT DEVICE

2)After selecting the correct radio band i have no observed the following...

If i'm actively doing something which involves the internet i.e. youtube/downloading apps, calls will get sent straight to Voice mail/Phone un available message, however if i stop watching youtube the calls are instantly allowed (I repeated this alot!) this is the same for both 2g and 3g!

3) this is unfortunately nothing to do with Android or even 2.1 update but to do with the specification of 2g/3g network systems....Data is sent in packets, usually with a small break in between each packet every second or so which allows calls/texts to be sent to the phone and pause the internet connection, however when you do intensive internet (youtube) these breaks are not present hence you can't receive these calls or texts as the internet is not paused!

I have tested this theory out using an iphone 4 and a windows mobile Xperia X1 ......and the same result (all whilst loading youtube videos and me then calling the phones......all through to voicemail!)

4) This is annoying and its only now it has started to bother me as the phone is constantly doing things on the internet... thus more lost calls

5) I would love for someone to prove me wrong or try this! please do it and put me out of my misery!!!

Craig

Guest saeba_ryo
Been doing a lot of research into this over the past couple of days and this is what i have now found....

1) make sure your radioband is set correctly to do this follow the following instructions and select your region

DIAL PAD *#*#4636#*#*

PHONE INFORMATION

MENU BUTTON --->SELECT RADIO BAND

REBOOT DEVICE

2)After selecting the correct radio band i have no observed the following...

If i'm actively doing something which involves the internet i.e. youtube/downloading apps, calls will get sent straight to Voice mail/Phone un available message, however if i stop watching youtube the calls are instantly allowed (I repeated this alot!) this is the same for both 2g and 3g!

3) this is unfortunately nothing to do with Android or even 2.1 update but to do with the specification of 2g/3g network systems....Data is sent in packets, usually with a small break in between each packet every second or so which allows calls/texts to be sent to the phone and pause the internet connection, however when you do intensive internet (youtube) these breaks are not present hence you can't receive these calls or texts as the internet is not paused!

I have tested this theory out using an iphone 4 and a windows mobile Xperia X1 ......and the same result (all whilst loading youtube videos and me then calling the phones......all through to voicemail!)

4) This is annoying and its only now it has started to bother me as the phone is constantly doing things on the internet... thus more lost calls

5) I would love for someone to prove me wrong or try this! please do it and put me out of my misery!!!

Craig

There is no solution to this except to keep the data connection down when you don't really need it. I use APNdroid to do this mostly because I don't want to overshoot my monthly data quote, I only pay for 100MB per month. I discovered the band selection menu some time ago since I have some problems with my carrier and 2G network, but makes no difference in my case, so I set it to Autodetect and forget about it.

Guest craigwn

Right last update I think! unless T-mobile change anything....

Firstly I have updated my APN's on my GT540 I now have one separate for internet and MMS, before these were combined into 1. I'm not sure if this is what made the difference, however now when using data on a 3G connection I can receive texts and calls, and in fact during a phone conversation the data connection remains - I tested this with downloading an app and talking on the phone! (Happy Days!)

Now when it comes to being connected on 2G its a one or the other scenario if your phone has an active data connection no calls or texts will be sent to the phone and this is a network limitation if you wish to read more on it this link has quite a comprehensive post regarding the same issue on the iphone - Iphone cant recieve calls in in 2g mode and this is a network choice as to the way in which they handle there network not anything to do with the phone, all UK networks operate in the same manor in 2G on this front.

With this in mind I re tested the Xperia and the iphone which are both on o2 and whilst i have a 3g connection on my tmobile GT540 the o2 phones did not however (o2 seems to have poor 3g connectivity where I live compared to tmobile) taking them into a 3g area for o2 allowed them to both work flawlessly as well.

So in summary... if you are on a 3G connection everything 'should' work as it should! if you are on 2G connection and your phone happens to be transferring data when someone rings/texts you will not receive them! and the problem is android likes to transfer data allot! what can you do... well if your unfortunate enough to only have 2G turn of back ground syncing and you will increase your chances of receiving those important calls, or You can use an app like Juicedefender (available on the market for free) which limits your data transfers when your phone is in standby to a pre set perimeter such as sync for 3minutes every 30 minutes thus cutting down your data transfer times, increasing your chances of someone being able to call you (and you battery life!). Also in your network settings you can set your phone to prefer a 3G connection over a 2G so you should in theory stay on 3G where ever there is a 3G signal rather than your phone selecting the strongest signal out of 2G/3G.

Finally this is not a GT540 specific problem, there are similar posts all over the net about the iphone, other android handsets and newer Nokias etc... only Blackberrys seem immune due to the way blackberry services works from the networks end. so how is it I have only noticed this since updating to 2.1? I guess 2.1 uses an active data connection more than 1.6, and for me personally I have installed IM programs (whatsapp) which just weren't available whilst I was on 1.6 which like to be connected more and more to the internet and so have only really noticed this issue since updating.

I hope this helps you all get to the bottom of your issues too.

Craig

Guest kapslock

I decided yesterday to email LG support with our collective 3G problems and begged for a non standard reply......

Dear customer,

Thank you for your e-mail.

From the information given it appears that your handset may have developed a fault, we would respectfully suggest that the handset may need servicing by a LG service engineer.

Service for your handset can be arranged by telephoning: 0844 847 5454 or alternatively you can book your handset in for repair on-line via the LG mobile phone web booking system: www.lgrepair.co.uk

You should be aware that servicing the handset may erase any data and settings you have entered onto the handset, you should ensure you fully backup any of your handsets contents you wish to keep before servicing is performed.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this matter may be causing.

Best regards,

LG Electronics UK Helpdesk

----------------------------------

LG Customer Services

UK: 0844 847 5454 Ireland: 0818 27 6954

Mon-Fri 9am to 8pm Sat 9am-6pm

BOOM!

Edited by kapslock

Guest cooperzetec
I decided yesterday to email LG support with our collective 3G problems and begged for a non standard reply......

Dear customer,

Thank you for your e-mail.

From the information given it appears that your handset may have developed a fault, we would respectfully suggest that the handset may need servicing by a LG service engineer.

Service for your handset can be arranged by telephoning: 0844 847 5454 or alternatively you can book your handset in for repair on-line via the LG mobile phone web booking system: www.lgrepair.co.uk

You should be aware that servicing the handset may erase any data and settings you have entered onto the handset, you should ensure you fully backup any of your handsets contents you wish to keep before servicing is performed.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this matter may be causing.

Best regards,

LG Electronics UK Helpdesk

----------------------------------

LG Customer Services

UK: 0844 847 5454 Ireland: 0818 27 6954

Mon-Fri 9am to 8pm Sat 9am-6pm

BOOM!

Well that's out the window then cus anyone that's updated to 2.1 will have voided there warranty anyway.

Guest foxandbutter

I've reflashed my gt540 about 3 times and i still have problems with text and calls in 3g mode.

In order to find out what causes our LG GT540 to maulfunction we need to collect more data.

Network: PlusGSM (Poland)

Currently installed ROM: Greek 2.1

ROM ver.: GT540-V20a-OCT-05-2010

SIM: 6 year old sim card

SIM LOCK: removed in GSM service probably with Octopus box.

APN config.: Standard APN config provided in ROM, 1 APN for internet, and 1 for MMS.

ROM's I tried: Baltic 2.1, French 2.1, CIS 2.1, Greek 2.1

Greek 2.1 update have full Polish locale including APN setup for Polish GSM/WCDMA networks, so I don't think that any native ROM upgrade will solve our problem.

Any one swithed back to 1.6 ? Did this solve 3g text and calls issue ?

Guest Jacowannabe

I have exactly the same problems - Calls not coming thru, connections taking forever to make, and text messages arriving hours delayed - on 3G. Also mobile data connection seems to be up, but doesn't actually work after a period of inactivity.

If I switch over to 2G though, everything works (except I lose data traffic of course).

I have tried the Russian 2.1, the Baltic 2.1, the french Boyuguen one, and currently I am on the greek 2.1. All show the same problem. My home network is 3, sweden.

Oh - and - with the original 1.6, none of these issues existed.

Guest Carbonize

Just take it in to be fixed and if they comment on it running 2.1 just say that if you had to wait for them to release it officially it would be 2011.

Guest Jacowannabe
I had this problem, but now I switched to the french 2.1 rom everything seems to be perfect

Are we talking about the plain, unbranded one? If so - I'm there... (reaching for my USB cable already)

Guest Clarkey15

I meant the branded one, which after further inspection is also having the same problem. Is there a plain unbranded french one, if so do you have a link?

Guest Jacowannabe
I meant the branded one, which after further inspection is also having the same problem. Is there a plain unbranded french one, if so do you have a link?

No, turns out there isn't - although the first post in this link refers to two different french ROMs, the links both lead to the same file, sadly.

Edited by Jacowannabe