[OLED+TFT] 30/Nov 2.5.1.3: ClockworkMod Recovery

Guest PaulOBrien

The MCRi install method has served us well (and definitely still has applications going forward), but I'm pleased to say that (after a somewhat haphazard learning curve with regards to compiling Koush's great recovery from scratch) we now have ClockworkMod custom recovery for our ZTE Blade devices! :) This recovery has been built and setup by me and is in no way endorsed buy Koush, so please don't ask him for support! :(

I have now published the source for the Blade device profile on my GitHub, so the recovery should be officially supported in ROM Manager soon!

You can load recovery by powering on the device with 'Volume Down' pressed, by using 'adb recovery', by installing 'Quick Boot' from the Market or by installing 'ROM Manager' from the market.

Navigation in the recovery image as follows:

• Volume Up / Down to move between options
  • Home key to select an option
  • Back key to go back

• Download 2.5.1.3 ClockworkMod Recovery for ZTE Blade - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 0733acd513717f2dc7ee08809bd7ea20
    • Download fastboot if you do not have it already.
    • Turn off your phone and take out the battery. Unplug the phone from the PC / charger.
    • Replace the battery and turn the phone back on with 'volume up' held. The device will stay at the 'green android' screen.
    • Plug the phone into the PC.
    • Extract the fastboot zip file.
    • From a command prompt (at the directory containing these new files!) run 'fastboot-windows flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.3-blade.img' (subsituting 'fastboot-mac' or 'sudo fastboot-linux' as required)
    • When this finishes, from the command prompt run 'fastboot-windows reboot' (again substituting 'fastboot-mac' or 'sudo fastboot-linux' as required)
    • Done!
    • ;)

The changelog and any known issues are in the next post.

2.5.0.9 remains available for download here.

P

Known Issues

• The display is upside down. This is a quirk of the Blade, but i've reversed the up / down buttons so it doesn't really matter. :)

• Built from main clockworkmod repository

• Added support for loading recovery by powering on device with 'Volume Down' held. Hurrah!
      • r1

[*]Initial release

Guest Tony Fonda
Known Issues
  • The display is upside down. This is a quirk of the Blade, but i've reversed the up / down buttons so it doesn't really matter. :)

r1

• Initial release

Dumb question from a newbie: What is the purpose of ClockworkMod please? What additional utilities or modifications does it bring to the phone?

Many thanks for your work.

Guest Gibbo501

I'd imagine that this phone is going to bring a lot of Smartphone virgins to them and this website.

How about a glossary of terms, software and ROMs for noobs? That will prevent a lot of repeated questions clogging up the forum.

Three terms which come up a lot are "jailbreaking", "rooting", "flashing" and "custom ROMs".

Edited by Gibbo501

Guest piercy

The whole phone is built upside down. Shootme screenshots come out upside down. Android Screencast also comes out upside down. I do wonder if they mounted the screen upside down for wiring and then just flipped everything in the software lol.

Definately strange but this phone does have some upside down theme going on.

I don't have fastboot at work, will this work on the phone?

su

dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/mtd/mtd0 bs=4096

hmm, no that didn't work, will have to wait until I get home

Guest HugoQueiriga
Potentially, I quite like the 'Quick Boot' app tho. Works well. :)

P

Didn't even know about that app!!

Will try that with mine, once gf gives me back my phone, otherwise will have to buy a new one lol

Damn Nexus one for breaking down!! ;)

Guest waj1234

Thanks paul, all done and backup made. I am looking forward to more custom roms and 2.2 :)

This forum is great and I will be going add free as soon as I have some paypal funds and look forward to online kitchen too.

Damn..... left my USB lead at home.......... :)

just download directly on your phone to sd card then

terminal

su

flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

reboot

Guest Matchstick

Quick question, has anyone found XP ADB drivers that work in recovery mode yet ?

I have fastboot and normal ADB working fine now, but none of the driver packs I've tried seem to support recovery mode :)

Dumb question from a newbie: What is the purpose of ClockworkMod please? What additional utilities or modifications does it bring to the phone?

Many thanks for your work.

+1. Anyone???

Guest Simon O

Nice, finally Koush added partitioning to the recovery image. No more using rom manager to partition!

Custom recovery allows you to do special tasks on your phone.

You can install a custom ROM easily

You can perform a full backup of your phone and restore it.

You can partition your SD card for using with Apps2SD

You can perform a wipe of specific partitions

It can be dangerous to use if you have absolutely no idea what you are doing though. So be careful and if you are not sure of an option ask before trying it.

I've repacked MCR r3 and the stock image to update zip format (uploading now), which will give people a choice of recovery image or MCRi to install.

Setting up MCR and stock kitchens later today.

P