[OLED+TFT] 30/Nov 2.5.1.3: ClockworkMod Recovery

Guest PaulOBrien

Any idea which file ROM Manager creates when it's installed recovery itself, some fuctions wont work until it thinks it flashed the recovery even though the same recovery is on there. It's probably in the data directory, I sold my pulse and deleted all my backups last night so cant look at a working example.

Guest Davie1888
It can be dangerous to use if you have absolutely no idea what you are doing though. So be careful and if you are not sure of an option ask before trying it.

That counts me out then :) ;) :(

Edited by Davie1888

Guest feckineejit

quick question, i have r3 rom on the phone and i guess i use the same method putting ClockworkMod Recovery on, but just want to know is it best to have the stock rom on the phone first so i can restore to that if anything goes wrong, or does it not matter as stock rom files are on the site anyway and can aways restore with them? any help grately appreciated :)

Guest BigD18t

I was registered on here for the hero forums, but cant log in, just saying thanks ive flashed the r3 rom, which is fantastic, and il flash this tonite when home, awesome work.

Nice, finally Koush added partitioning to the recovery image. No more using rom manager to partition!

Custom recovery allows you to do special tasks on your phone.

You can install a custom ROM easily

You can perform a full backup of your phone and restore it.

You can partition your SD card for using with Apps2SD

You can perform a wipe of specific partitions

It can be dangerous to use if you have absolutely no idea what you are doing though. So be careful and if you are not sure of an option ask before trying it.

Cheers, so it sounds exactly what i have got on my rooted desire at the moment. Its a really good feature as you can change roms using ROM Manager really quickly and the backups are also really effective.

I've repacked MCR r3 and the stock image to update zip format (uploading now), which will give people a choice of recovery image or MCRi to install.

Setting up MCR and stock kitchens later today.

P

Your an absolute star mate. Im getting my SF tomorrow so perfect timing. Any hints on what customisable options there will be on the kitchen?

My adfree subscription to modaco is looking like a bargain to be honest. I have been running Modaco roms on my desire for months and now hopefully i will get my SF sorted to.

Guest jsplace
I was registered on here for the hero forums, but cant log in, just saying thanks ive flashed the r3 rom, which is fantastic, and il flash this tonite when home, awesome work.

I too was registered here on Hero forums back at MCR3.2 for hero but had to re register as I no longer existed!

Edited by jsplace

All the usual stuff, everything I can make optional probably, lol!

P

Thanks Paul, i would like some HTC features like sense, HTC lock screen and the HTC clock/weather widget if possible.

Guest buntoid

Just wondering if the SF has to be rooted before installing ClockworkMod Recovery?

[*]Replace the battery and turn the phone back on with 'volume up' held. The device will stay at the 'green android' screen.

You won't get any Sense stuff on the SF.

P

One more question paul, will A2SD/A2SD+ be available in the kitchen straight away? That is my main requirement.

thanks

Guest countrylad
Thanks Paul, i would like some HTC features like sense, HTC lock screen and the HTC clock/weather widget if possible.

You can get very close with other apps. Try LauncherPro from the Market. And Weatherbug does a good weather app with choice of widgets.

HTH

Guest Simon O
Any idea which file ROM Manager creates when it's installed recovery itself, some fuctions wont work until it thinks it flashed the recovery even though the same recovery is on there. It's probably in the data directory, I sold my pulse and deleted all my backups last night so cant look at a working example.

It doesn't create a file. Rom manager just checked the installed recovery against it's own database. The recovery that Paul made needs to be added to the database by Koush before Rom manager can use it properly.

It doesn't create a file. Rom manager just checked the installed recovery against it's own database. The recovery that Paul made needs to be added to the database by Koush before Rom manager can use it properly.

Ok so for the time being, I wonder if we can fake it by setting rom manager to point to another server, thus making it think his recovery is official and give the ability to update through rom manager?

ROM Manager is pretty useless at the moment, the only thing it will allow you todo is boot into recovery, ironic considering it refuses everything else because recovery (at lease clockwork) isn't installed!

Edited by rjm2k

little bit confused, should I install this if I have already installed your R3 Paul using the MCRi

It's a good idea to install it as it allows you to backup/restore your whole system and apply non-mcri type updates (amongst other things).

Guest fradleyp
It's a good idea to install it as it allows you to backup/restore your whole system and apply non-mcri type updates (amongst other things).

just install this on its own? or do I have to install R3 afterwards?

just install this on its own? or do I have to install R3 afterwards?

They are independent. You can leave stock or r2 etc on if you wish though getting into recovery without root involves fasboot and a pc

Guest Skerved

Hmm. I'm a noob at this. I installed this recovery and I also bought ClockworkMod ROM Manager Premium. When I try to do anything in that program like "Check for ROM Updates" or "Install ROM from SD Card" it says: "You must have ClockworkMod Recovery installed before continuing!" Is this version of the recovery not supported by the ROM manager? If not, will it be? Anyone care to explain to me how it works? :) Thanks!

Worked out how to get RomManager working with our clockwork, I used rom manager to install any old recovery (I selected dell streak), I then reflashed our clockwork and rom manager likes it :)

It creates a file called settings in /sdcard/clockwork which tells it that it's got a "proper" recovery installed.